HB1231 passes in house- (Centerfire rifles for deer hunting)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    True, but the way the 10 round magazine section was written before it was changed to 10 rounds of ammunition, you would have had to duct tape a magazine to your single shot.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    True, but the way the 10 round magazine section was written before it was changed to 10 rounds of ammunition, you would have had to duct tape a magazine to your single shot.

Hmmmm.
    5 round magazine or a 20 rounder with only 5 in it?
    I'd think the mag physically limiting the amount to be proper.
    But the way our law is written a freakin beta mag would be OK, if the dude lugging it around didn't have more than 10 rounds on him afield.

BTW, dunno how the new reg was worded.
    Did it mandate that the new rifles be of magazine type?

Wouldn't surprise me.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Not the way it passed, but in the previous version it said "must be equipped with a magazine of ten rounds or less." So technically rifles without magazines would have been prohibited.

We know what they meant but that's not what they said.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    I'd think the mag physically limiting the amount to be proper.
    But the way our law is written a freakin beta mag would be OK, if the dude lugging it around didn't have more than 10 rounds on him afield.

One should not have to buy restricted capacity magazines to hunt. If they want to limit the amount of ammo in the gun, then limit the amount of ammo in the gun but do not require one to go buy special restricted capacity gear just to hunt. If the guy wants to lug a beta C around with 10 rounds in it then I have no problem with it. The basic Marlin 44 magnum lever action also has a 10 round tubular magazine and has been used for a long time with no problems. If they say you must use a magazine that is restricted to 5 rounds, people with pistol caliber lever actions will have to go have them modified with a special plug to only allow them to hold 5 rounds. It cuts both ways, and words mean things. I believe it is called "Unintended Consequences".

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Some places differentiate capacity based on action type.......CO says 6 rounds max if semi auto (5 in a mag, 1 in chamber- but no limit on what a mag could hold).
    I like 10 rounders in my AR, Magpul makes a 5 round limiter too.
    Pretty inexpensive IMHO.

Non semi auto rigs would obviously be exempt.

A 5 round mag for an MSR..............makes it Hoosier proof IMHO :)
    Unless of course Johny H likes to go afield with 3 of them at full cap.

Wonder when somebody with a single mag, loses it while walking back to stand in dark. That's gonna be funny too.
    I've never lost a mag, in 40 yrs of hunting..........but some of the stuff I've seen posted, it seems Murphy and or gremlins haunt some folks regularly.

Wonder who will win the race per county, ticket for 11 in his mag.
    You know its gonna happen LOL.

Last edited:

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Some places differentiate capacity based on action type.......CO says 6 rounds max if semi auto (5 in a mag, 1 in chamber- but no limit on what a mag could hold).
    I like 10 rounders in my AR, Magpul makes a 5 round limiter too.
    Pretty inexpensive IMHO.

Non semi auto rigs would obviously be exempt.

A 5 round mag for an MSR..............makes it Hoosier proof IMHO :)
    Unless of course Johny H likes to go afield with 3 of them at full cap.

Wonder when somebody with a single mag, loses it while walking back to stand in dark. That's gonna be funny too.
    I've never lost a mag, in 40 yrs of hunting..........but some of the stuff I've seen posted, it seems Murphy and or gremlins haunt some folks regularly.

Wonder who will win the race per county, ticket for 11 in his mag.
    You know its gonna happen LOL.

heh...true.
    That's why I'm glad that the HPR I'm going to take into the woods this fall (Ruger M77) has no detachable magazine to worry about.
    Of course, if I were stupid and clumsy enough to hit the little lever inside the front of the trigger guard, the hinged floorplate would swing out and dump all five at once.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I've got a 700 but it wears a 4-12X AO..........yote rig. My shots will be under 100 in our little spot.
    So proly take the Ruger #1. Wouldn't mind a Model Four or Model Six..........but prices have gone up.

Hell I'd like a .357 Super 14 bbl for my other Contender, never popped a deer with specialty pistol.

If I hit public land I still have a Contender rifle in .35 rem. It's super light/handy.........but is a break open.
    Much prefer the feel and look of a Ruger #1.

A 1A version, in .35 rem (never made) would be perfect. Trimmed now, reg full length if regs changed.
    For my hunting of deer around here, it'd be close to perfect.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I've got a 700 but it wears a 4-12X AO..........yote rig. My shots will be under 100 in our little spot.
    So proly take the Ruger #1. Wouldn't mind a Model Four or Model Six..........but prices have gone up.

Hell I'd like a .357 Super 14 bbl for my other Contender, never popped a deer with specialty pistol.

If I hit public land I still have a Contender rifle in .35 rem. It's super light/handy.........but is a break open.
    Much prefer the feel and look of a Ruger #1.

A 1A version, in .35 rem (never made) would be perfect. Trimmed now, reg full length if regs changed.
    For my hunting of deer around here, it'd be close to perfect.

Those Ruger #1s are gorgeous rifles, and it's totally understandable why you'd want to hunt with yours...lucky dog.
    There's such a quality of old fashioned class about them.
    I looked at some used examples in Cabela's recently, just out of idle curiosity.
    They wanted $800 minimum, which I'm sure is a bit more than some shops would ask for comparable specimens, but still probably not far off the mark.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    .35 rem is a cool old round. Fun as heck in a 14" Contender (no brake).
    I think a Ruger #1 A in that would be a neat rig, even if IN didn't allow rifles for deer.
    But since they do...........

But my current deer .35 rem is a TC. Works fine, but is a break open.

Being single shot, and with minimal trimming to meet the 1.8 spec, there's enough neck tension yet...........no crimping required.
    So minor I'd not call it a hassle. Even for a non reloader........other places that do reloads, can do it (initial charge due to trim makes first box a little more $).
    I have 150 reg cases and IIRC 60 trimmed. So far I have yet to burn up what B&K loaded for me. Which reminds me, to snag the RCBS dies from my dad (has an old st- new).

Nonnemans does rebarreling, called and he said about $500 to make my #1 into a .35 rem.
    Snagged an .243 RSI model for $650. Plain jane wood..........probably worst ever seen on a #1. Hence the price.
    Don't care for full stock either, but figured I could trade/sell and end up with an Alex Henry forend.

And then stupid old IN decides .243 win is deer legal.

Now what?

I'd still like a .35 rem #1..........get a diff bbl for my TC (.22 mag).

The #1 would NOT fit a 2-7X new style Redfield/Leupold. Could get two offset rings but dang if they aint ugly.
    One offset ring at the rear did allow an old style M8 4x to work. Gangly, but even with plenty of front tube, the turret was riding at the front edge of the rear ring.
    Using offset, it moved back just slightly and is now perfect.

So..............if this works.............and I like it.............might have to buy another #1 for conversion to .35 Rem.

I grew up shooting a #1B .243 for chucks..........so they are ingrained. They just feel right to me, hand goes right ahead of action in carry.
    Had a fair number of other rifles, grew u[ reloading..........#1 probably my fave, even with the $#@% quarter rib/scope nonsense.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My old #1B was a .5" rig. But the throat eroded and it opened up.
    Wish I'd have rebarrelled it, but college kid.........no $............away it went.
    Then I saw it on the used rack at Lengel's and bought it back (2 yrs later). Tried everything........still sucked.
    Turned it loose again LOL.

Three 700's in .243, a 600 and a Model 7, all sub MOA and two of them .5 (the others at .75). 70gr Nosler on top of max charge of 4350............blast is bad but accuracy is great (neck sized). Current 700 is probably worst one yet. Needs tweaked.

If I did lease a big field up north, another 7 mag 700 would probably be the ideal whitetail rig.
    Eh, the test period gives me time to find one. My sis lives in CO...........so could use it there.

Had a '76 BDL in 7 mag, really liked it. Dumped for a .300 winmag, which was fun but if I woke up gimpy (neck) it was a chore to shoot.
    40 rounds from the bench would either max my headache or take the kinks out of my neck. Blast was bad on sinuses.
    I'm older now, probably 7 mag is my comfort level.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Yup, shot bows there (when they had shoots/sold archery stuff).
    Don and Mary, Cathy, Patty, Steve (forget the other one's names)........all of them good people.
    Still see one of the kids now and then, when up around that way (gas station, Bass n Bucks- think one's kid shooting bow a bit).
    Mary would swipe my daughter (when infant) so my bud and I could shop.
    Spent some time there, some cash too.........Don was OK to deal with off season, after dinner. Before that...........yeah, wait :) LOL
    Miss them and the place.
    My bud and I could make it there, and back, on our lunch hour..........if we stretched it a bit, and hammered on down.
    Enough volume, contacts, region..............cool stuff would show up...............never knew when.
    Used to hit it twice a month, sometimes twice a week!
    Now most shops just deal in plastic, since that's what the new crop of gun folks seem to prefer.

Also miss the old Bill Goodman gunshows in Indy. Esp the southern boys who'd have a nice selection of steel/walnut stuff at good prices.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Used to hunt over by Logansport, so enjoyed stopping by Downhams. Small shop, but cool stuff pops up now and then, plus Doug and his mom are super nice.
    I prefer the "old gunshops" over the new ones.

Top Bottom