HB1231 passes in house- (Centerfire rifles for deer hunting)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If one has a .358 Hoosier, proly a reloader.........already has enough cases in stock.

Now if they leave empties afield, or at the range...........OK, when you run out...............rechamber/rebarrel.

Heck, if the law passes you might get a better deal on .358 Hoosier brass.
    Just run it.

I don't see all the distress over the reg change if one already has a .358 H.

If one is that fickle, having already jumped into the .358 Hoosier game..........you're gonna change your mind every other TV commercial on the Outdoor Channel.

This "what shall I do?".......will then have degraded to a FB status update type of nonsense.

For cryin' out loud, you got the rifle, it works, use the thing.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    That's true, all a 358 Hoosier really is, is a short chambered 358 win. A chamber reamer could finish the job.

I don't see why they picked 300 win mag, isn't that on the stout side for deer?

ohh and I guess the big box stores will finally be able to sell all that Remington core lokt and Winchester Super X they stocked in Indiana that even during the panic, collected dust.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Proly 'cus a politico has a cop buddy who talks about his .300 winmag sniper rifle.

Proly better if they said .300 Savage or Whisper.

Hell, the whole push was because everybody in Indiana is either an 8 yr old child or crippled adult.........they NEED less recoil and that PCR stuff just didn't offer the level of comfort.

Why I was in the LGS yesterday and saw .243 win "reduced recoil"..........LOL

Proly need to run that in a 7400 to bring it even further down.

Last edited:

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Public land will still require pistol cartridges so I wouldn't expect to see too many .44 lever guns for sale just yet. The HPR is for private land only.

d80hunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2015
    Hope

I agree. .270, 280, 7mm-08, .358 Winchester, 35 Remington would have made much more sense. A magnum HPR rifle is really not needed. We ain't hunting CPX3 game in Indiana. We ain't shooting CPX2 game with the closest available shots at 300 yards and out to 700+ yards.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    I am surprised that they picked 300 Win Mag as the sound of just saying it to the average non hunter sounds as though it is so powerful and dangerous vs the 308 or the 30-06 but maybe that is why they put it in.

I will pretty excited to use HP CFR this year if this passes. My luck, I will get a buck & 2 doe during bow season giving me less incentive to go back out a lot during the rest of the season.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    So, now that the legislature has let the cat out of the bag, what is the chance that the DNR just capitulates and allows any cartridge above 243?

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I think the calibers listed are just power guidelines and will end up with all of the equivalent calibers being allowed - eventually.

Example, they list a 30-30. There is hardly any difference in the 30-30 and the 32 Winchester Special. Or 308 and 300 Savage. There are many cartridges that apply to this rule of thumb.

There will be enough guys pissing and moaning the first year that they can't use a 270, but they can use a 30-06, they will have to allow more cartridges.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012

They did not pick a 300 Win mag specifically, just a 300 caliber. I'm sure the 300 Weatherby, 300 Winchester Short Mag, 300 Winchester Magnum, 300 Blackout, 300 Whisper, 300 Fireball, etc. etc. would be just fine. Laws are made to restrict things. If the law isn't written to restrict it, then it is legal. No need to ask for them to restrict things further. I'm sure in a year or 2 most anything that is reasonable will be legal anyway. As to something being too stout, the faster the kill the more humane the shot in my opinion. Shooting something and letting it run off and bleed to death seems a bit more traumatic than an almost instant kill.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    I interpret anything in the .300 as anything in the .300's. Like .303, .375, .358, etc.

i'll have them drag me into court to prove otherwise.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    As to something being too stout, the faster the kill the more humane the shot in my opinion. Shooting something and letting it run off and bleed to death seems a bit more traumatic than an almost instant kill.

Dead isn't the problem, you have the potential to destroy a lot of meat with something too big.

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    They did not pick a 300 Win mag specifically, just a 300 caliber. I'm sure the 300 Weatherby, 300 Winchester Short Mag, 300 Winchester Magnum, 300 Blackout, 300 Whisper, 300 Fireball, etc. etc. would be just fine. Laws are made to restrict things. If the law isn't written to restrict it, then it is legal. No need to ask for them to restrict things further.

There will be specific cartridges named when this is done, according to someone within the legislature. The bill language even specifies "cartridges" and not "calibers" or "bullet diameters". Supposedly the .300 will be .300 Win Mag.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    The bill passed both the House and Senate, was signed by the leadership of both.

How, at this point, can the legislature change language in a bill they already passed??? Ambiguous language had multiple opportunities to be implemented but it was not - that's on the lawmakers.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    The bill passed both the House and Senate, was signed by the leadership of both.

How, at this point, can the legislature change language in a bill they already passed??? Ambiguous language had multiple opportunities to be implemented but it was not - that's on the lawmakers.

I believe that they are allowed to make "technical adjustments". IOW- Straighten up their ignorance...

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    Posted on another site last week:

Originally Posted by cedarthicket

According to a conversation today with an unnamed “inside” source, House Bill 1231 (as passed by both the House and Senate this week) will likely undergo at least one technical correction per proper Indiana General Assembly rules. That technical correction will “nail down” the meaning of the 5 cartridges noted in the bill (.243, .30-30, .300, .30-06, and .308). It is my understanding that the correction will be:

.243 Winchester
    .30-30 Winchester
    .300 Winchester Magnum
    .30-06 Springfield
    .308 Winchester

This technical correction would make the resulting bill (and law, if the Governor signs it) much more easily understood by all concerned, whether they like the bill or not. I do not know if there are any more technical corrections being considered.

Last edited:

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    When is Pence due to sign this??

Probably any day. It's a done deal. If he doesn't sign, it becomes law automatically after 8 days. If he were to do the unfathomable and veto, his veto would be overturned easily, as Indiana only requires a simple one-vote majority to overturn a veto rather than most states' requirement of a 2/3 majority.

Top Bottom