HB1231 passes in house- (Centerfire rifles for deer hunting)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tynimiller

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Osceola
    Lot of guys out there are going to learn very quickly being able to use them makes them no better a hunter :D Thankful I only have 2 spots that are by neighboring fields that may need to just be told about me being there as to ensure they keep in mind what is beyond their target when launching into the field.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    They certainly don't make for better hunters...but assuming the person pulling the trigger is proficient, they very likely can make for better accuracy compared to a slug gun or muzzleloader. And more accuracy (again, assuming the person pulling the trigger is proficient) means fewer wounded deer.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    :rockwoot:
    Guess this helps make up my mind.
    I have a new Ingo lower on the way that now seems destine to become a .300 Blackout rifle.
    I already have the 10 round mag...

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    :rockwoot:
    Guess this helps make up my mind.
    I have a new Ingo lower on the way that now seems destine to become a .300 Blackout rifle.
    I already have the 10 round mag...

Doesn't sound like it has to be a 10 round magazine, just don't have more than 10 rounds on your person. If you had a 10 round magazine that is fine, just don't have any extra ammo according to the silly wording. Of course if you shoot the old pistol caliber lever action, you can bring all you want.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    If the bill gets Pence's signature with it saying the very ambiguous "300", the DNR wouldn't have a very good legal argument for 'clarifying' that to mean 300WM but not 300 AAC Blackout or 300 Savage (or any combination thereof).
    I don'[t see why, it is already legal to hunt with 300 BO in a pistol. A pistol legal 15 inch barrel 2369 fps vs a 16 in barrel having 2397 fps. Doesn't seem like it should matter, but then again why would facts be used for such a decision at this point.

http://s229.photobucket.com/user/jlficken/media/screenshot20120210at814_zps8b3c780d.png.html

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Wait to see if they clarify 300 first.

HEY, don't rain on my parade!
    I'll use this as an excuse to build it anyway.

It really matters not to me.
    This bill, if it gets Pences signature will add at least 3 other caliber rifles I already own.
    I'll just need some range time between now and season's open to dial them all in and make sure I'm good again.
    I'll be able to add .30-30, .308, and .30-06 just by opening the safe!

The bill may not be perfect, but it's a step in the right direction.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    5 (A) .243. 16(B) .30-30. 17(C) .300. 18(D) .30-06. 19(E) .308.
    Technically there's only two named cartridges listed, the .30-30 and the 30-06. The rest are calibers. I would assume the legislature doesn't write laws in slang. The correct name for a ".243" is .243 Winchester. As we have already discussed I would think any .243/6mm cartridge would fall under .243. The same goes for .308. The correct name is .308 Winchester, so I would think any .308/7.5mm cartridge would be legal. I would think anyone could challenge this law with this interpretation and win.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    If the bill gets Pence's signature with it saying the very ambiguous "300", the DNR wouldn't have a very good legal argument for 'clarifying' that to mean 300WM but not 300 AAC Blackout or 300 Savage (or any combination thereof).

The time for the legislation to 'change' is over ... it is what it is ... the wording is set, at least until Next January.

I don'[t see why, it is already legal to hunt with 300 BO in a pistol. A pistol legal 15 inch barrel 2369 fps vs a 16 in barrel having 2397 fps. Doesn't seem like it should matter, but then again why would facts be used for such a decision at this point.

screenshot20120210at814_zps8b3c780d.png Photo by jlficken | Photobucket

You obviously were not listening to the 'dialog' from the few senators opposed today vs Sen Tomes and Sen Steele trying to explain ballistics.

.300 weatherby mag, .300 RUM.......? Clarification please......

Maybe in the DNR rules for the fall when they come out; but there is not reason (IMO) for them to rule out any of the 300's that I know of ...

I think we need (to make) the 300 Super DeerSlayer UnicornFart Killer round ... (relax it's a joke ... see I used purple paint)

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Did they remove the must be elevated 10 feet nonsense? Also does the final version say anything about "only to be used in the southern part of the state" ? Will these cartridges and calibers be allowed in both public & private land? Just trying to make sure I am clear on all the changes.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    So what's the expected time parameters before we know whether Pence signs it or not?

Now that it all conforms -
    sign by speaker
    sign by president pro tempore
    sign by president of senate (Lt Gov) - these 3 do not have a time limit IIRC from last year's SB 229 process.

Then Off the Gov - who has 10 days to sign or veto - if no sign. - it becomes law ... all in all ... it could take until end of the month; but should be done by then.

It is likely to be signed; and with "PART 3" - being needed so that the law takes effect immediately (not on July 1) - I'd say probably sooner. ... then DNR starts writting the revised rule book for the fall.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Did they remove the must be elevated 10 feet nonsense? Also does the final version say anything about "only to be used in the southern part of the state" ? Will these cartridges and calibers be allowed in both public & private land? Just trying to make sure I am clear on all the changes.

No 10 foot rule;
    No regions - Statewide
    PRIVATE property only

Top Bottom