HB1231 passes in house- (Centerfire rifles for deer hunting)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    That's not a rumor. I know for a fact one senator voted against the bill because of the purple paint thing

Tomorrow will probably be do or die for the issue. There is a very slight chance that if it doesn't pass tomorrow, the offending portion can be rewritten and put before both chambers for another vote, but time would be of the essence. If it weren't a short session year, we'd definitely get this passed one way or another.

I don't expect the DNR to ever propose HPR's again, and it's doubtful that the Legislature will either. Obviously we have a Republican super majority and still just barely passed it. We have the perfect opportunity to get this passed now without chancing the future. Any negatives to the bill can be addressed by the DNR proposal process, which is now gearing up to start. It is a thousand times easier fixing this bill after it passes than to start from scratch again. I've waited over 20 years for this day to come, and I certainly don't want to see it come to an end tomorrow.

Last edited:

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    Tomorrow will probably be do or die for the issue. There is a very slight chance that if it doesn't pass tomorrow, the offending portion can be rewritten and put before both chambers for another vote, but time would be of the essence. If it weren't a short session year, we'd definitely get this passed one way or another.

Yep

I don't expect the DNR to ever propose HPR's again, and it's doubtful that the Legislature will either. Obviously we have a Republican super majority and still just barely passed it. We have the perfect opportunity to get this passed now without chancing the future. Any negatives to the bill can be addressed by the DNR proposal process, which is now gearing up to start. It is a thousand times easier fixing this bill after it passes then to start from scratch again. I've waited over 20 years for this day to come, and I certainly don't want to see it come to an end tomorrow.

You are correct in that DNR won't propose it again, that's why it's in the legislature. If it doesn't get passed this year I'm pretty sure it will be brought up again next year. There are just too many people like myself and you who won't let it die untill we get it done. Representative Arnold, the bill author, has a petition in his hands with over 1100 signatures and presented this at the first senate NR hearing; with that kind of support it will come up again if it doesn't pass this year. FWIW, the DNR has no objection to this bill as a bureacracy; but, they have been dragged through the mud so much over the high fence hunting issue and the fact they couldn't get it done thru their process, they feel they are better off "laying low" while this goes thru the legislature.

Steve

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland

I don't expect the DNR to ever propose HPR's again, and it's doubtful that the Legislature will either. Obviously we have a Republican super majority and still just barely passed it. We have the perfect opportunity to get this passed now without chancing the future. Any negatives to the bill can be addressed by the DNR proposal process, which is now gearing up to start. It is a thousand times easier fixing this bill after it passes then to start from scratch again. I've waited over 20 years for this day to come, and I certainly don't want to see it come to an end tomorrow.

+1 on that
    It's just a shame that, should this actually make it to Pence's desk (he will almost certainly sign it), that this won't be Indiana being dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century, but only the 20th century with the likes of PA, WI, KY, KS, etc.
    There are lots of things I love about my state, but sometimes the resistance to even the most basic and reasonable change is exasperating in the extreme.

Indy99

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Greenwood
    I hope it passes. Though I don't understand why the bill dictates specific calibers though? Why not .243 or greater? So someone with a .270 or .35 Rem is out of luck? Doesn't make sense to me.....

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I hope it passes. Though I don't understand why the bill dictates specific calibers though? Why not .243 or greater? So someone with a .270 or .35 Rem is out of luck? Doesn't make sense to me.....

Give it time.
    I'm almost dead certain that after this season, they'll get tons of input from hunters and even the more knowledgeable folks in DNR explaining that the best way to make it reasonable and easily understood is to simply legalize all calibers currently legal in handgun for rifles.
    I'm pretty sure this is a trial run to demonstrate to all the alarmists that their fears are not only unfounded, but flat silly.
    Give it a year or maybe even less.
    *crosses fingers hoping that the bill at least as good as currently written lands on Pence's desk*

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    21st century hunters..............what's that?

Transgendered transracial same sex married with high powered rifles?

Only the ones who use pistol caliber inferior rifles because some words on paper somewhere say they will jail you if you use a different shape bullet. 21st century hunters use the most modern tools for the job, not handicap themselves for the sake of keeping the witches away. I'm amazed normal caliber rifles have not been used before them there bows with cams on them. Archery hunters complained when the compound bow was invented and allowed to be used in archery season. There will be blood in the streets. Crickets........... No blood. Then came the cross bow. The herds will be destroyed, and there will be blood in the streets.......Crickets.......... No changes. Now we will make it legal to use the same tool every surrounding state uses to hunt deer. Of course the same paranoid delusions are voiced. There will be blood in the streets thousands of miles away because them there Super Duper High Powered Long Range killing machines will be unleashed in the woods. WHEN it passes, I can give you a summary of the results. Crickets.......... No blood in the streets thousands of miles away, or anywhere. Less deer will be wounded and unrecoverable. Less deer will be shot and reduce the herd because the hunter will use a rifle capable of shooting more accurate with less recoil, and they will kill and recover the first one they shoot. You can even use a silencer on a rifle if you like to reduce hearing loss while still being able to hear other things around you well thanks to another law passed allowing 21st century tools to be used rather than heed the warnings of those who still believe in witches.

On another note, we don't discriminate against who can hunt. If a person is a different race, transgender or gay they can indeed obtain a hunting license, and now they can even use a modern hunting rifle.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Give it time.
    I'm almost dead certain that after this season, they'll get tons of input from hunters and even the more knowledgeable folks in DNR explaining that the best way to make it reasonable and easily understood is to simply legalize all calibers currently legal in handgun for rifles.
    I'm pretty sure this is a trial run to demonstrate to all the alarmists that their fears are not only unfounded, but flat silly.
    Give it a year or maybe even less.
    *crosses fingers hoping that the bill at least as good as currently written lands on Pence's desk*

I agree on "give it time", but whole heartedly disagree on the "trial run". These politicians know little to absolutely nothing about rifles. They have went with what some folks told them that they wanted to use. As far as they know these other good whitetail deer calibers don't even exist.

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    Ive never been interested in a suppressor but i'll get one if this passes!

That's pretty much my sole reason for wanting HPR's legalized for deer. I now hunt exclusively with suppressors, but the current .357" minimum is too large to fit through my .308" suppressor. I can't justify $1000+ on a custom .357" suppressor for a 2-week season. I have my hearing checked annually due to my job requirements, and it is getting a little worse each year. I need to save what is left.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    That's pretty much my sole reason for wanting HPR's legalized for deer. I now hunt exclusively with suppressors, but the current .357" minimum is too large to fit through my .308" suppressor. I can't justify $1000+ on a custom .357" suppressor for a 2-week season. I have my hearing checked annually due to my job requirements, and it is getting a little worse each year. I need to save what is left.

Get a good pair of electronic muffs....

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Get a good pair of electronic muffs....
    I tried that, they keep falling off the hunting dogs. Also if you take a couple of your young ones with you, you can talk quietly and not have to buy 3 pair. There is no replacing a suppressor on a gun with anything and get the same results. You still hear the loud crack of the supersonic bullet heading towards the game, but it should reduce the muzzle blast enough to reduce or eliminate hearing loss.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Uh, that's what that little volume knob is for.
    Even my $30 pair of Caldwell electronic muffs have that.

Very seldom do I have mine cranked all the way up... maybe right before light when I want to hear that gobbler two hollers over. ;)

I have severe hearing loss (childhood ear infections and shooting trap a couple years without hearing protection) and I want to save what I have left..

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I just called Senator Smith's office and asked that he support the bill in today's vote - I see he voted against it previously.

I recommend everyone who wants to see this pass (even in its highly imperfect form) call their state Senator and do the same.

Top Bottom