you-can-t-be-serious-1coy.jpg

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Mythbusters did a segment putting ammunition in a conventional oven. It would cook off, but the casing usually went more than the bullet. I'd think the microwave would more likely cause ignition due to corona discharge, but the casing/bullet should provide an effective faraday cage to protect the powder. You got me wondering now.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Mythbusters did a segment putting ammunition in a conventional oven. It would cook off, but the casing usually went more than the bullet. I'd think the microwave would more likely cause ignition due to corona discharge, but the casing/bullet should provide an effective faraday cage to protect the powder. You got me wondering now.

Ever put metal in a microwave? It sparks and such. i would think that maybe the discharge could potentially cause the bullet to 'fire' but i feel it would yield the same results at the MB's found with bullets in the oven. The casing would go farther due to them being less in weight. However as they showed i think if you put a loaded gun in the microwave it would fire as a gun is intended causing real damage.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Ever put metal in a microwave? It sparks and such. i would think that maybe the discharge could potentially cause the bullet to 'fire' but i feel it would yield the same results at the MB's found with bullets in the oven. The casing would go farther due to them being less in weight. However as they showed i think if you put a loaded gun in the microwave it would fire as a gun is intended causing real damage.

As Mr. Evil said there the case could and most likely would act as a faraday cage, the sparking would only be on the outside of the case. you would have to have an internal spark to ignite the powder which would be unlikely.

Now it could cause the case to heat to the point that the ammo would start to cook off, but I don't think ignition could happen from a spark.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Reminds me of "Is It a Good Idea to Microwave This?" Looks like there was enough heat generated to cook off a few. Notice the plastic bottle they were in was distorting.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2011

This is the video I was referencing, it was the only one I could find. With all the crazy stuff on the internet I was kind of disappointed not to find more information on this topic. I don't think I will be trying this myself though I have microwaved light bulbs on occasion because its just plain cool to see burnt out bulbs light up again.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I set a microwave up once with a coax feed off the waveguide, made a splitter and a batch of the cutest little yagis in a circular array. I lit an incandescent bulb in free space. not very efficient, but fun as heck, in a nerd way. Drew coronas and such, probably sterilized myself in the process. Haven't had any children since then, anyway. That may be a good thing.

sharkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Hognuts' Liberal ****hole
    Speaking only for myself, but I expect it's like any other cookoff without chamber support: Popping noises and a bad smell. Flying brass pieces will occur, but since it's inside the kitty-baker, those should be contained.

Top Bottom