Have you ever accidentally laughed when you see a gun price.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    The couple of times I went into dons for curiosity I laughed.....not once or twice.....overtime I looked in a case....it was like a comedy show!

ShaunB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I beg to differ as well. Was looking at the reloading components and powder was up near $30/lb IIRC and Hornady XTP 44 cal bullets were quite high as well. Both prices were about $5 over Gander Mountain's already high prices. You should be able to beat their prices. I'd love to have a local place where I can buy reloading supplies at a decent price. I send way to much money to Midway...Larry Potterfield is constantly smirking at me in those catalogues.

There is not much profit in reloading supplies, powder and primers demands a higher price due to Hazmat. We only due 1 powder/primer order a month to try and reduce the fees. Midway will always be able to beat our prices as would Brownells, they have warehouses full of these SKUs and we are buying small volumes from distributors who also mark up the product.

Please if you see something you think might not be prices competitively let us know. We have only been open a few months and pricing our product from the first few shipments might have been off.

lapoozyfan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2012
    spencerville
    yes, everytime I go into Freedom fire arms in Ft Wayne, they are 200-300 over priced on everything and when i ask them if they could get me a barrett 98b in .338 lapua they quoted me a price of $6500.00, I bought one a new one for with a pelican case for $3800.00 and put a nightforce zero stop on it for $2200.00 and still beat their price, havent been back there since

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I couldn't help it, but I wanted to see the saiga rifle on the wall. It looked new from a distance, but when it got close I could see it was used. Pulled back the charging handle and looked inside to see a dirty gun. I looked at the price tag and saw that they only wanted $550 for such a rare gem and I couldn't help it at all and I just laughed out loud like someone just told me a dirty joke. Oh, but it did come with 4 promag magazines so that could have made the difference.

I just couldn't help but laugh, and the sad thing is that it wasn't the only dirty gun up there. If I wanted to sell rifles I think I'd get off my hind end and take the few minutes it takes to clean the rifle for a good showing.

I didn't mean to be rude, but seriously I couldn't help but laugh.

I kind of have the same reaction while perusing the INGO classifieds. When INGO members come in the shop and we talk about this they say (and I believe they are right) that the price listed is a starting price. As one gentleman I know that owns a gun shop in Kentucky (Stewart's Firearms and Collectibles in New Castle, KY. If you live in the Madison area it's close to you and worth seeing, just plain crowded with guns at good prices), once told me..."It's kind of hard to negotiate up on a price." and he is right.

That may have been the starting price and many guns in shops come in on consignment and the dealer is not the one making the price be what it is. It is the seller. I always put a "C" on the tag so my customers know that is not a gun I own. After awhile the consignee may lower the price or trade the gun on something I already have...I then lower the price because the gun is paid for and I have less in it.

Don't feel bad about laughing. The guys that run gun shops get to laugh at some of the prices customers want for their guns when they bring them into sell. When that happens I will check completed auctions on gunbroker, take an average of the three sold most recent and say, "Here is what I can get for the gun on gunbroker, minus my fees. So let's start again on the price based on the current market." No one is offended that way and I usually smile, not laugh.

All offered IMHO ofcourse..I only know the gun shop referred here by their posts here on INGO and they seem like very stand up guys to "ride the river with" as Louis Lamour may have said. I know if by some terrible misfortune I am ever forced to go up to the part of the state where people have funny accents and a mole hill in the yard is the highest point of land in three miles(:D) I will stop in and visit them..Hell, I may even buy something..It sounds like a neat shop.

Indiucky

Falls City Firearms

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I laugh every time I go to Gander Mountain and every time I browse INGO classifieds. Sometimes I would even read their posts again just to make sure I didn't miss some kind of a joke or something. What really gets me are the people who are trying to sell a used gun for more than it would cost to buy a new one. Especially the "all prices are firm" crowd, lol ok... :rolleyes:

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    About 4 years ago i used to balk at gunshow prices for draco pistols, by today's standards, those prices were cheap.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    I couldn't help it, but I wanted to see the saiga rifle on the wall. It looked new from a distance, but when it got close I could see it was used. Pulled back the charging handle and looked inside to see a dirty gun. I looked at the price tag and saw that they only wanted $550 for such a rare gem and I couldn't help it at all and I just laughed out loud like someone just told me a dirty joke. Oh, but it did come with 4 promag magazines so that could have made the difference.

I just couldn't help but laugh, and the sad thing is that it wasn't the only dirty gun up there. If I wanted to sell rifles I think I'd get off my hind end and take the few minutes it takes to clean the rifle for a good showing.

I didn't mean to be rude, but seriously I couldn't help but laugh.

So you've been to McGalliard guns in Muncie. :D

Hkfiend

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    in the Ford Galaxy
    Pawn shop outside of Fort Riley, Kansas. Had a beat to hell HK P7 PSP with one mag. They wanted $999 for it. I told him I'd give him $500 for it. He put it back in the case and walked away. I laughed all the way out. Place was a joke.

concrete dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Goshen
    Seen a Beretta 92FS for sale(used). Price tag was over $600. I was respectful and told the guy that I had a new in box unfired one, that I would sell him for $450. He gave me the well I have box and paper work also. I waited till I got outside to chuckle...

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Two things. 1. We have noticed some items that are overpriced. Mainly come s down to our cost. Some items we can not by in quantities like Gander or walmart. We are costantly trying to find better and cheaper suppliers. 2. Not all firearms in the store hve prices set by us. Many firearms are on consignment and the prices are set by the seller. If you find a cheaper price bring it in and we will try to beat it or match it. Our sales staff is here to serve you and provide you with good quality and prices. Just realize we have been open just two months so we are learning everyday.

Not sure if you guys do this or not, but my to favorite local shops have different colored tags for consignment. That way if you see outrageous prices on them you know it's not the shops doing.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Nope you are not alone. I was looking at a used AR and asked if they could help on the price since it would be my fifth* gun I bought from them. I couldn't even get a manager to respond. The guy behind the counter tried his best to tell me the manager was busy and that they usual don't haggle. Then I asked for a box of ammo, after all it was my fifth* one.

*All of them were on sale or a decent used price!

their ammo prices are even worse than their gun prices.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I don't know but I am wondering if this discussion goes to the very nature of the business itself. Part knowledge, part market forces, part guesswork, part subjective on quality, etc.

For those who don't know me I am mostly interested in the C&R world of old military rifles. These I have a reasonably vague idea of and know where to go to research further. There is a crapton of information out there about which I am totally ignorant.

When you start discussing black guns I am almost clueless. If someone says "Glock" I believe they are on Gen4 right now. So to me if it is a Gen4 weapon I will guess it will be at a higher price than a Gen1, 2 or 3. But that is just a guess.

Running a gun store has got to be a lot of work trying to keep up on all of the varied interests of potential customers. For example, I am almost entirely overlooked. Very few LGS's carry the C&R stuff. This is not a criticism. I understand the market doesn't demand enough for an LGS to stock Enfields, MAS's, Arisakas, Mosins and on and on. So if one does come in the store owner may have a vague idea but if not following it regularly won't be as familiar with what is normally walking in and out the door.

Add to that the LGS has to pay for all the expenses just to keep the doors open for us to walk through.

All that said, there comes a point when the price moves beyond "I need to make $ to stay in business" which is reasonable, to "I am going to charge way more than necessary due to greed or inefficient business practices." While many here are knowledgeable about the product they are looking to purchase there are many more who are very ignorant and may believe that a price is reasonable. Case in point: I saw a British Lee Enfield in .303 earlier this year at Gander Mountain for $550. To my thinking this was ridiculously priced unless General Montgomery himself carried the bloody thing. But some poor sot probably thought, "This is old. This is rare. This is from WWII. It MUST be worth it!" When they buy it they are loosing about $250-$300 in buying power they could have spent on other life expenses. I feel sad for them.

While I fully agree with the free market and caveat emptor, I also believe in maintaining ethical business practices. As was brought up earlier I fully understand the potential issues with the handling of dozens of transactions every week. Unintentional overcharges are going to happen. What I refer to as unethical are the intentional overcharges to an ignorant consumer. This appears to be the standard at Dons Guns.

In the end anyone can put any price on anything they wish to sell. I just hope that most are professional, responsible, ethical and price within their knowledge of the market and not depend on their customers ignorance of the market.

Oh, yeah, and I laugh too. On purpose. Loudly. Then as what they really want.

Regards,

Doug

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yes, I do and on purpose at times.
    Happened this morning at LGS I use for specific ammo but will no longer purchase a gun from due to the incident I am about to describe.
    1st, as stated above, I believe in the free market but am not a fan of "Ram it in and break it off" pricing.
    I did some trading at the LGS I was in early this year. I thought the deal I got was a bit one sided but they had what I desired and being an addict the fix was needed. The gun I traded emerged from the vault recently and a friend that does the rounds of all the local shops called me. He stated I had to go and look at the price. I did today. Laughing was just a start. Parts had been removed and the price was doubled. As mentioned, it is a free market and I respect that but the owner did not appreciate the Gander mountain reference I made. Says a lot about his integrity.
    Look around and do diligence before you jump at a gun.
    Yes, laughter is a good thing. Saves one from saying exactly what he feels.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    The gun game! Everybody likes to look, pick up, and dream a little. You need to find a LGS, talk to them, ask questions, and be a customer. They need us, we need them.
    Box stores have over gouged me to no end. Some bigger LGS are all about money, it pays the bills.

Sometimes the bosses are on the employees so much that you have 4 or 5 asking you about "helping find something". Get lost. That idea has driven me away from Gander, Cabelas, Midwest. All seem well, but the bigger buck talks.

I have a snicker at the classifieds on INGO, but have also met a few owners who enjoy the shooting sports, and have done buys from them on occasion. Nice guys,great transactions, never an issue. Read on, you may have some luck.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i lmao'd at a few INGO ads.

I think my favorite was the guy selling a used gen4 glock w/night sights for like $600. At the bottom he stated he a LEO, immediately telling everyone he bought it for about $450.

I also had a good laugh this week at the two ads asking MSRP for the same used pistol. Someone will probably buy them though.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I laughed at the guy trying to sell his Kimber SIS. I don't know if he thought I wasn't seriously interested or had the money or what. He started at I think it was 1,450. I offered him less and more back into realistic numbers where he laughed at me.

I got the final laugh when I walked back by his booth with my Colt Rail Gun.

jon5212

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    I'm finding this quite a bit in the classifieds for used Glocks. I'd like to pick up one but I mind as well go buy a brand new in box one for 20 bucks more than what people want.

Top Bottom