Has anyone ever fired their gun in their house ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Never actually fired a round off in the house. Now I have shot the spring loaded plug out of my shotgun before and left a nice grease/dirt print circle on the ceiling. And when I was a kid my dad and I would shoot mice as they ran across the kitchen floor with a BB gun.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    Once....when I was "young and dumb". On a dare I shot a .22 through our wood front door. My Mom never did find out, and I never did that stunt again. I never found out where that bullet went either.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    on the porch
    two upstairs bedroom windows
    family room
    basement
    garage
    pole barn
    animal barn
    roof
    bedroom

did I mention I live out in the country, both my son and youngest have also shot in the house....and we were shooting at targets outside from the windows.

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    When I was about 14 my aunt & uncle moved to our small community from a large city in another state. Until they had things in order he left his long guns with us. My Dad put them under my bed for safe keeping? My younger cousin was over one day and I pulled out the old Winchester Model 61 that my uncle had. My cousin wanted to hold it so I handed it to him assuring him that my uncle would never leave a gun loaded in storage. Next thing I knew after the crack there was a hole in my bedroom. We promptly put the thing away as my Mom came running down the hall to my bedroom. My Dad and uncle got in trouble with my Mom, but I was in even bigger trouble with my Dad since I had gone thru a couple of NRA safe hunter programs he used to put on for the local 4H. No leaks in the room as it was a 2 story house and we were on the first level. Ah youth!

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    144   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I luckily had some experiences as a youth that pretty well put gun safety in my head permanently.

My dad was going to be moving to a third shift job and wanted my mom to be familiar with the operation of the Walther P38 he had. The bad part was they were both drinking and my dad was very confident in his teaching ability and believed my mom understood the operations and was going to show her how safe it was by having her pull the trigger while pointing at him loaded on safe. My mom luckily refused and just pointed it at the ceiling before pulling the trigger while on safe and discharged a round through the roof. The safety was faulty but my dad didn't know it because he never used it because it was never kept loaded. Talk about a wake up! My three younger siblings and myself were sleeping when this occurred.

The next occurance was luckily after all of us had moved out and my dad forgot that he left the TV on and went to bed. Conditions were perfect, to set the scene up. A branch had fallen outside and hit the back door of the house breaking the glass and waking dad up. He hears talking in the next room (TV) and yells for them to get out or he will shoot. They obviously disregard his request so he shoots....through the wall. He did make a perfect shot on the TV in his defense. Hitachi said the damage was not due to a manufactering defect.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    In my basement decocking a Bersa .380. I knew there was a round in the chamber and foolishly thought I could control the hammer with my thumb. Wrong.... Should have had safety on, unloaded mag. and pulled slide back to empty chamber, but I had done it this way many times before. Break the rules and you get burned sooner or later. The wife gave me a lot of grief over this.

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    I have had a couple of accidents (I really hate to admit to). When I was young I was preparing for a rabbit hunt. I loaded my dads double barrel 12 gauge in my room so I wouldn't have to mess with it later. I don't know how or why to this day but I left the hammer back and the thing had a hair trigger. BOOM! Hole in the ceiling.

My more recent one I'd love to have a mulligan for is when I am trying to carefully show my wife how to de-cock my .45. I allowed it to go off by accident. I know, I know, I am a moron for trying to show her with it loaded. I had a complete DA attack. Nothing like that will ever happen again.

Fortunately no one hurt in either event.

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    on the porch
    two upstairs bedroom windows
    family room
    basement
    garage
    pole barn
    animal barn
    roof
    bedroom

did I mention I live out in the country, both my son and youngest have also shot in the house....and we were shooting at targets outside from the windows.

Your house has plenty of fresh air.

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    Not me personally but two people I know.
    Years ago I traded my sister a revolver for the family Colt Woodsman (great deal!). I wanted her to be familiar with the revolver and so asked her to step out back of the farm house to fire it. She instead went and opened the back window. You get the idea.
    Second, a fellow I know had just returned from the range and was cleaning his carry gun. The conversation turned to the trigger pull on his carry, he pointed it at the TV and pulled the trigger, forgetting he had just loaded the firearm. He said the TV needed replacing anyway.

alluwant

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    no i have never done that but glad everybody was alright, one of my buddies did that along time ago and blew his thumb off, so safety first

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    One day when I was getting ready to leave for the night and I had a CZ52 cause it was the only Handgun I had ammo for at that time. I will say I believe my house is haunted cause I have no idea how it happened but I loaded the gun decocked it and set it on the middle of the table while I finished doing whatever and it somehow flew off the table hit the floor and discharged and the bullet went through my stairway to heaven poster 3 walls and exited the roof it missed me by a few inches when I found the gun it had somehow flew under my bed and I pulled it out carefully and unloaded it and the casing was still in it

it sounds hardly believable but I have pics for the skeptics lol:D

I was younger then now I wont even rack the slide in the house

rhinoabe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Jennings Co.
    I have two 649 S&Ws. I was cleaning one at my desk and had it unloaded. I finished it up and put it aside and went to get a cup of coffee came back and did not think and picked up the 649 and pointed it at the floor and pulled the trigger BANG. The wife went and got the other one out of her purse and put it on the desk for me to clean and i didn't notice.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Once, and been around for one other. Neither time was it my house.

First was for a friend. A pregnant raccoon had burrowed through her roof and was giving birth in her attic. I put an end to them.

Second time was at another friend's house. He had raccoons getting into his garbage. We set the garbage out, stuck in a movie, and checked from the upstairs window every 10 minutes or so. A .223 does nasty things to a raccoon at about 30' away. :D

I've never accidentally fired a firearm. May I always continue to be so cautious.

LeeStreet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    South of Steuben Co.
    Because of my stupidity ( left a round in the chamber of my 22 rifle ) our son shot a hole through the drywall ,flared the aluminum siding, & took off the top of a pine tree. When his mother figured out what happened, it wasn't a pretty sight. Later we laughed & he said his ears were really ringing.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Once, stupidly. Had just cleaned my Beretta 92 (loaded with Gold Dots). Watching Cops (not my fav, but only thing on). Was doing practice drills with Cops being on, looking for "shooting cues". Grabbed wrong mag (thought the "live ones" were in my mag pouch) that I thought was loaded with snap caps. Boy, they snapped alright... :( Put a Gold Dot into my TV after yelling "Look out, he's got a knife..." Very stupid thing. Ears rang for about 2 minutes, but the Gold Dot didn't go THROUGH the TV :dunno: thank god. The sound was weird, the TV tube POP! sounded louder than the pistol going off...

Strange thing is, the neighbors were outside. When I talked to them afterwards (after dragging my freshly killed TV to the curb), they didn't hear anything! They thought I slammed a door or something. Had they not been outside, they likely would not have heard a thing.

Everything now is checked 4 times (after the 4 rules). I have a sandbarrel in my garage and the only practice done is either unloaded or at the range.

Top Bottom