Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    indigenous
    in-ˈdi-jə-nəs
    ADJECTIVE
    1. produced, growing, living, or occurring natively or naturally in a particular region or environment
      indigenous plants
    Doesn’t this describe everyone born here?

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John
    This is a speech from 2021. I am not saying that her point of view has changed. She goes on to introduce various aid and infrastructure programs. I just skimmed through it and did not pay attention to the details.
    https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politi...ional-congress-of-american-indians-convention

The native peoples were fighting among tribes and nations long before the Europeans came here. Some tribes welcomed, even helped the immigrants. Others violently opposed them. Later some allied with whites against other tribes. The only continent that has not seen migration, wars and alliances between various peoples is Antarctica.
    Wrongs have been done throughout the world for ages. I bear not guilt for what my maternal ancestors, who came in the 1700s, may have done. You cannot change the past. You can only deal with the present.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    indigenous
    in-ˈdi-jə-nəs
    ADJECTIVE
    1. produced, growing, living, or occurring natively or naturally in a particular region or environment
      indigenous plants
    Doesn’t this describe everyone born here?
    And what many want to call "Native "Americans", well, ain't. They're Native Asians. I don't mind something like the term that Canada uses: "First Canadians".

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Personally, I don't see what all the fuss is about. Christopher Columbus found his way to CENTRAL America (the Bahamas)... Not the shores of the good old US of A.

Spain then spread it's influence all over South and Central America resulting in it's language & culture being spread down there.

The Vikings (who landed in Newfoundland hundreds of years earlier) never got any credit at all because their settlement didn't last very long.

It wasn't 'til the Pilgrims landed that the North American continent was opened to settlement. If you ask me, (and nobody ever did) credit for discovering "America" as in OUR America... goes to the Pilgrims.

As far as "stolen lad" goes... Ha! Every nation in human history was created by being taken over from somebody else.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Once again people insist on looking at events and people over 500 years in the past through the lens of the 21st century. Makes me wonder how enlightened the 21st century will look to people calculating time by star date in the future.:scratch:

Top Bottom