Handguns I'd just as soon never shoot again...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Black Cloud

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Brownsburg
    The absolute worst shooting handgun I've ever had the displeasure of firing was the S&W Sigma .380. That little gun kicked harder than my .45, and snake-bit the webbing of my hand every time.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    45-70 contender with muzzle brake barked. Smith & Wesson 500 has a lot of recoil. .40 caliber Browning Hi Power about ate my hand off. Walter PPK bruises. Scandium framed J frame wow! Anything KelTec stinks.

Glock 22 no problem! And I am recoil sensitive.

TheFireArmorer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Bloomington
    When I first bought a g27 I absolutely hated it. I'd never had a problem with any other Glocks, but the 27 just wasn't fun too shoot at all. After a few boxes I got used to it. And now it's one of my favorite guns to shoot, so I'm glad I didn't sell/trade it right off the bat.

I think this applies to a lot of firearms, at least for me. For instance, my first pistol was a DA/SA and I had shot it a ton before I ever fired a striker-fired pistol. So the first time I pulled the trigger on a striker-fired gun it felt too weird for me. But, after shooting one a few more times, I became a fan of that type of firing system.

So, for the most part, I can warm up to and eventually enjoy shooting any gun I've encountered except for a Taurus TCP (never fired a LCP, but assume it would be the same). I can see the benefit of it as a highly concealable self-defense weapon, but it was absolutely no fun to shoot. I know it's not meant to be some super accurate target pistol, but I could barely get shots inside of an 8-inch target from 7 yards... and that is the moment I finally understood the term "belly gun" lol.

Long, heavy trigger pull, sights are almost non-existent, and it felt like it was trying as hard as it could to jump out of my hands when it recoiled. Is that going to matter in an up-close-and-personal SD situation? Probably not. But, I've found plenty of other pocket guns that do the job just as well and are also enjoyable to shoot.

So, short story long, a Taurus TCP is the handgun I'd never shoot again if I didn't have to.

-Rogue-

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I don't know if your experience is so much gun based as caliber based.

You enjoy 9mm, which is arguably smooth compared to the high pressure .40. Adding to this, you said you enjoyed the 9mm Glock.

Hmmmm...

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Two handguns I have shot and disliked were a P64 Makarov and a Desert Eagle in .50AE.

The P64 has a huge slide compared to the rest of the gun and was just uncomfortable. The DE's recoil brought me way off the target each time I fired it. Other than that it was cool. :D

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    Those are big boy guns! But as I've gotten older I agree. I'm keeping my XD as my home defense. I've actually downsized to a PX4 SC in 9mm. I've gotten tired of the kick. No more, 45, 10mm, going back to 9mm and .380.

pellidon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    Central Indiana
    My fun ride was my Ruger SP-101 with the 180 grain Black Talons back in the day. I don't usually have recoil issues with snubbies but that load was noticeable.

bob_dolemite

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Maybe I haven't shot enough but I've not tried a handgun I haven't longed to shoot again. With the exception of a 3" GP100 which was sex out of the box, I've come away from most of my first sessions with new firearms somewhat disappointed with the results. This then becomes my motivation to shoot more.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Congratulations on the new baby!

As for guns I don't like to shoot, I haven't found one yet. Heavy recoil don't bother me. I have a DE 50ae and it is a blast to shoot. I have really big hands. I have found afew that I wasn't impressed with. Bersa Thunder 380, to small. I like big guns.

50BMG Steve

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    Richmond Area
    I have to say I was suprised at the XDs in 45 ACP. I expected to have real recoil/controlability issues and found that not to be the case. I will add that I have both a Freedom Arms 454 and a S&W 500.

r.gray87

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Columbus
    I'd just as soon never shoot a Ruger LCP again... what a ****ty trigger!

To each their own, I like the LCP trigger....It's a really long pull, but that's attractive to me in a gun that I can stick in my pocket with a round chambered.

I like knowing it won't go off in my pocket....I have too much important stuff down around those parts!!

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I'll add to the list... my S&W .357mag... it's like getting beaten in the hand with a baseball bat with every pull of the trigger...

357mag_zps9e984e41.jpg

Practice with .38 special, use .357 for defense only.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Those are big boy guns! But as I've gotten older I agree. I'm keeping my XD as my home defense. I've actually downsized to a PX4 SC in 9mm. I've gotten tired of the kick. No more, 45, 10mm, going back to 9mm and .380.

I'm jsut the opposite. I started out with my S&w MP 9mm. I thought it kicked, first tiem I shot it, after 50 rounds, my hand hurt. But soon I was shooting 200 rounds and not even noticing it. then I moved to my .38/.357 magnum revolver......it kicked even more. And then i got my 1911 .45 acp. I am NOT going back. I can shoot it all day and it doesn't bother my hand. I just wish the ammo was as cheap as 9mm USED to be. :)

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I don't know if your experience is so much gun based as caliber based.

You enjoy 9mm, which is arguably smooth compared to the high pressure .40. Adding to this, you said you enjoyed the 9mm Glock.

Hmmmm...

3 out of my first 6 handguns were .40 S&W... I now no longer own, and won't own, anything in .40 S&W.

CZ-40P
    Kahr CW-40
    Walther P99

I have (rather, had) plenty of experience with .40 S&W. It wasn't bad to shoot out of the CZ or the P99. Still quite snappy. In the Kahr, though, defensive rounds were brutal. I know there isn't any such SAAMI designation of .40 +p, but I have to presume that the defensive stuff is loaded near the top of the pressure ranges while the FMJ range ammo is "downloaded" a few ticks.

So, while I DO have decent experience with it - I've since washed my hands of it. :D

BlueCow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2012
    i shot a few duty size gen 3 and gen 4 glocks in 9, 40 & 45, and one that was a compact, cant remember what caliber though. i really didnt like either of them, i ended up with the m&p's also...but the worst gun ive ever shot was a s&w bodyguard.

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    My least favorite gun I have ever shot was an IO Hellcat. Tiny gun and big hands do not a good match make. The trigger was so stiff that I lost focus on the target because it took so long and was so hard to shoot. Then the snappy action of the 380 made it unpleasant to shoot. (IO Inc does have excellent customer service though.)

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    My fun ride was my Ruger SP-101 with the 180 grain Black Talons back in the day. I don't usually have recoil issues with snubbies but that load was noticeable.

Should try it with the hogue grip. I sold 2 SP101s before trying them with the hogue grips. Regret selling those 2 now. It's a dream with the right grip.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond

I know I have a bit of hand jerk shooting 158 grain bullets, I can't imagine going any bigger in my SP101. I'm also a petite female. That would probably cause a considerable hand jerk for me.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    i shot a few duty size gen 3 and gen 4 glocks in 9, 40 & 45, and one that was a compact, cant remember what caliber though. i really didnt like either of them, i ended up with the m&p's also...but the worst gun ive ever shot was a s&w bodyguard.

I agree, so far I have hated the bodyguard more than any other gun I have shot. I would rather poke someone's eyes out with it than have to shoot them with it. :rolleyes: :ar15:

Top Bottom