• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I carry several different ones depending on the occasion and where I'm going. To work it's my 10mm 1911, then other than work in the summertime I carry a Shield 45acp because it's small and I can hide it easily with shorts and T-shirt. When it's cooler I carry my CZ P10F. I shoot them all often so I'm ready to use them when needed.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    What`s right and feels good to someone else may not be right for you. A handgun needs to fit your hand well and point naturally for YOU. If the Glock 19 points naturally for you and fits your hand well, then it is indeed, "the best carry firearm around", for you.
    I`m a Glock guy, I LOVE `em, but they`re not for everyone.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I own one, carried it quite a bit until my G26 became my EDC. The G19 is good to carry, concealable when dressed appropriately, or like me ;)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    A metric butt ton of people do. "Best" is almost certainly going to create a spirited discussion. I'll just say that the hardware is not as important as the software, but the Glock is a solid piece of hardware that won't hold you back. The same could be said of several alternatives. The same could not be said about other "just as good as..." alternatives.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I used to. Carried a Gen 4 for four-five years. I was heavily invested in "the platform." Lots of mags, holsters, trigger time behind the gun.

It's a fine gun and a great choice for an EDC. But I never shot it all that well. I did OK, but I realize now most of my struggles were grip related. It just never fit my hands. Maybe a Gen 3 would have been better, I don't know.

I eventually sold it all off and picked up a H&K VP9. It was the best gun related decision I ever made. The VP9 feels like it was molded for my hands. It's much more natural in the hand, I control my grip better. Just a much more enjoyable training experience, which has helped me improve my defensive pistol skills immensely.

Bottom line is find a gun from a reputable manufacturer that feels good in your hands. Don't try to go small right off the bat. Learning to shoot a larger gun is easier and more enjoyable. Your carry set up will change over time. Start simple and see what works.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Does anyone else carry a Glock 19? I'm new to carrying but it seem to be the best carry firearm around.
    You made the right choice for a lot of reasons. Train to run the G19, the same gun carried by most LEO and private carriers.

After mastering the G19, you can specialize later, if you feel there is a need. A lot of folks don't find the need.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    You cannot (IMHO) go wrong with A G-19, or most any of the Glock family. Having said that I remember my first Glock-19. I loved it and still have it and several of its siblings.
    I wouldn’t feel undergunned carrying one today. but I have found for me it’s brother in .40 caliber the Glock-23 series gets my vote for best all around handgun. All things considered, all opinions welcomed, carry it, shoot it, practice, and Glock on brother!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Does anyone else carry a Glock 19? I'm new to carrying but it seem to be the best carry firearm around.
    When you are new to carrying a firearm, I recommend picking the one you like best (aka, one that feels best in your grip and that you shoot 'naturally') and focus on that as you learn the 'in's-n-out's' of carrying. Many individuals have a few (or even several) pistol that are in the rotation for every-day-carry. My favorite EDC is a Glock 36, my 'throw-in-a-pocket-n-go' is a S&W 340PD, and my Sunday carry is a Glock 17 (caliber and magazines are compatible with the guy's on the security team at our church.)
    It takes time to recognize and understand the different situations one may face while carrying...but it'll develop over time.
    Mostly, it's a thought process that's backed up with education, practice, and training....in the mean time, welcome aboard and in all things, be safe first!

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Some great advice in the previous posts. I carried a Colt Double Eagle (S/A D/A 45 ACP) This is somewhat similar to a 1911 without the safeties. It has a hammer drop so that it takes a double action trigger pull when after the trigger is dropped. I really liked the gun. I carried it for near 20 years, but it is stainless steel (heavy) and full sized - as I aged (I am 80 now) it was no longer comfortable to carry in my holster in the small of my back.

I held and shot several other handguns and settled on a Kimber Solo in 9mm - it is set up to reliable cycle with +P+ ammo and fits in my Galco holster at about 2 o'clock. It points accurately for me.

Nothing against the Glock's but as I expect to pass on my firearm collection to my son's (and on down the line - I do not purchase any firearm with active plastic parts as I know they have a somewhat limited live (I don't mean they will fail in your lifetime but will in some future time.)

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I used to. Carried a Gen 4 for four-five years. I was heavily invested in "the platform." Lots of mags, holsters, trigger time behind the gun.

It's a fine gun and a great choice for an EDC. But I never shot it all that well. I did OK, but I realize now most of my struggles were grip related. It just never fit my hands. Maybe a Gen 3 would have been better, I don't know.

I eventually sold it all off and picked up a H&K VP9. It was the best gun related decision I ever made. The VP9 feels like it was molded for my hands. It's much more natural in the hand, I control my grip better. Just a much more enjoyable training experience, which has helped me improve my defensive pistol skills immensely.

Bottom line is find a gun from a reputable manufacturer that feels good in your hands. Don't try to go small right off the bat. Learning to shoot a larger gun is easier and more enjoyable. Your carry set up will change over time. Start simple and see what works.
    Just to highlight how personal the choice is, I had a similar experience with an FNP, I've never much liked striker fired pistols and that is a hammer fired FNH. The gun just fit my hand and made a noticeable difference in my accuracy. Whenever I can easily carry a full size pistol, an FNP in 40 is my goto choice

If you have the opportunity, I would shoot a number of current platforms and decide for yourself which works best for you. Quite often, although you might not know precisely what you want ahead of time, you often recognize it when you experience it. Like everyone says, if you already have one it is a solid choice for a broad cross-section of shooters - just don't feel it's a popularity contest. What works best for you is what is most important

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I had a 19, really liked it...til I shot it, had a bad case of Glock trigger, and it was ok having a Glock, but I eventually traded it, and one day saw an S&W M&P 9c at a LGS, felt good in my hand, bought it, and shot it....fit great shot great...I'm happy...have my forever EDC, but your milage may vary...If you love the Glock, good for you, and good luck with it, may it protect you for ever!

Last edited:

jwj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2021
    Columbus
    Really is a matter of personal choice.

My personal narrative of discovering what EDC choice worked for me….

Purchased a S&W MP Shield 2.0 EZ
    Purchased a Hellcat
    Purchased a P365
    Purchased a Shield Plus
    Then a Shield Plus performance center

Of the 5, I think I like the P365 best.. once I put the XL grip on it.

I do own a Glock, a G17 Gen 5. It’s a nice piece. But it’s not the right one for me. It’ll get sold or traded eventually.

If the G19 is the preferred choice for you, than it’s what you should carry. It’s not a bad choice :)

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Of the 5, I think I like the P365 best.. once I put the XL grip on it.

I do own a Glock, a G17 Gen 5. It’s a nice piece. But it’s not the right one for me. It’ll get sold or traded eventually.

If the G19 is the preferred choice for you, than it’s what you should carry. It’s not a bad choice :)
    This. Have Glocks, have Rugers, have Kahrs, had KelTecs, even had an old S&W 469.
    While the Ruger P-series wins in reliability, has ambi mag release and fits my hands the best, just too big and heavy for concealed. That's important since I am on the Safe Team at church, and don't want to scare the sheeple.
    Happiest with the P365XL - not too small for my hands, good capacity, no external safety, reliable, sometimes forget I'm carrying it.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Have a Glock 19 for my edc. Only carry it because it was cheap. Looking for something else a little smaller. 43x? Hellcat? Not going to by something just that’s popular. As you have heard prior more important to have it feel right in the hand not the holster

Top Bottom