• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stejennings7065

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have been wondering this for a while, every time i walk into pop guns it strikes me. The booth where all the shields and handcuffs are. I want to know if I could actually carry handcuffs without being a police officer. My thinking is, if i am robbed or assaulted and I can defuse the situation with necessary force. I want to be able to detain that person to call the police and press charges.

Example: A friend of mine had a ground floor apartment and had a dispute with some drunk guy outside his apartment. The man decided to throw a beer bottle through the window of his car then came after him. He scuffled with the guy then called the police. My friend told me if he could of held onto him as he called the police he would have. Anyway The man ran they didn't catch him. 2 weeks later His apartment gets broken into.

Thats how this question came about.

FYI. I don't want to pretend to be a cop or arrest people. Just wondering

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    There is nothing illegal about owning or carrying handcuffs. People keep them for lots of reasons. A pair could be handy if you are dealing with an intruder that is intoxicated or mentally ill and you need to restrain them until police arrive. Keep in mind though that to cuff them you may need to touch them so you will need to make the decision of whether or not it isn't safer to just hold them at gun point.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    In some of his instructive classes, Ayoob demonstrates how hard it is to cuff a non-compliant person. It's really not so safe for the good guy.
    Go ahead and get cuffs, though.
    Just get the fuzzy lined ones... :naughty:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Handcuffs are a pretty good weapon when only one side is applied, and has been noted, it really isn't easy to cuff someone. To do so you have to put away your weapon and have total control of the person which means proximity. It's also a technique that you need to practice a LOT to get proficient with. This is a really bad plan.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    There's nothing illegal about you owning them but there is this nice grey area when it come to using them. I have seen people in Allen County prosecuted for unlawful restrain/detention for handcuffing someone. I've seen bounty hunters charged with this because they didn't check to see if a warrant they had from two weeks ago was still valid. I have also seen security guards charged with this because they attempted a citizens arrest off of their employers property.

Allen County Sheriff's Office policy makes the statement that their Corrections Officers' power of arrest ENDS when they walk outside of the compound and they are not to handcuff anybody out in public unless they are in a situation where it is warranted AND a sworn COMMANDING officer instructs them to. (Transporting and work detail excluded when dealing with inmates.)

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    There's nothing illegal about you owning them but there is this nice grey area when it come to using them. I have seen people in Allen County prosecuted for unlawful restrain/detention for handcuffing someone. I've seen bounty hunters charged with this because they didn't check to see if a warrant they had from two weeks ago was still valid. I have also seen security guards charged with this because they attempted a citizens arrest off of their employers property.

Allen County Sheriff's Office policy makes the statement that their Corrections Officers' power of arrest ENDS when they walk outside of the compound and they are not to handcuff anybody out in public unless they are in a situation where it is warranted AND a sworn COMMANDING officer instructs them to. (Transporting and work detail excluded when dealing with inmates.)

This^ plus you can be sued for a violation of their civil rights!! Like Jet Girl said get the fuzzy ones and have fun!! :D

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Great question! Although I've never thought about it, I could see it being very difficult to handcuff someone who is not cooperating. It probably would not be a good idea to do the "TV thing" and have a bad guy handcuff himself. :)

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Zip Tie Cuffs are a better alternative, however, I wouldn't use any of restraint, I like gun point or bleeding out the best.
    11867378.summ.jpg

Mikeh82

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Its really not that hard to handcuff someone thats not complying.. You shoot them and then handcuff them. lol

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    sheesh, ninja classes will eliminate the need for handcuffs..... or, if yer good enough you can rope and tie 'em within 8 seconds and win a prize...... or the guy could shoot yer azz while you're fumbling with the handcuffs......or the rope, or dancing around in yer black PJ's..... :rolleyes:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    sheesh, ninja classes will eliminate the need for handcuffs..... or, if yer good enough you can rope and tie 'em within 8 seconds and win a prize...... or the guy could shoot yer azz while you're fumbling with the handcuffs......or the rope, or dancing around in yer black PJ's..... :rolleyes:

LMAO!! :laugh: Repped!

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    The best way to use handcuffs on a non-compliant suspect is to toss them to him, and order him to cuff himself.

While he's contemplating whether to make you eat them, or stuff them up your butt, you can run away.

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    This is a very good question. I think it needs to be delt with on a case by case basis. Most distraught, adrenaline or drug induced criminals are not gonna lay there for 20 minutes until the cops arrive, gun or not. My thoughts have been to get them down on thier face, holster my gun, and try to "soften them up" untill they submit thier hands. If they try to get up... elbows to the head. The key is to stay in contol. If you start to loose control get up and get my gun back out.
    Just my 2 cents

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    This is a very good question. I think it needs to be delt with on a case by case basis. Most distraught, adrenaline or drug induced criminals are not gonna lay there for 20 minutes until the cops arrive, gun or not. My thoughts have been to get them down on thier face, holster my gun, and try to "soften them up" untill they submit thier hands. If they try to get up... elbows to the head. The key is to stay in contol. If you start to loose control get up and get my gun back out.
    Just my 2 cents

My two cents is to let them get up and run away. If they run any direction other than "away," shoot them. Trying to cuff them yourself is extraordinarily risky, and there is little to gain from it.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    in a self defense situation it wouldnt be wise to go hands on after you are safe by holding the perp at gun point. if he runs away so what? your whole goal was to be safe and get out of the danger of that situation right. so let him run, now it becomes a police matter to find him. you cant sit and worry about the what if he comes back aspect of it. if he comes back you handle it again at that time.

there is nothing here in Indiana that makes it against the law for you to carry handcuffs, but if you make a citizens arrest and cuff them REMEMBER: to make a citizens arrest or detain someone, YOU must have WITNESSED them committing a FELONY!!!! if this isnt met, and you detain someone then you are BONED!!! and will be getting your own set of cuffs put on by the guys in blue!

I carry a set of H-thompson & S&W cuffs and also some flex cuffs in my BOBs, but if im bugging out then there will be much more for me to worry about than if i can legaly cuff someone. and honestly, i will be staying away from other people if all possible.

I also own a pair of the fuzzy handcuffs and use them often when my wife gets out of control :)

edit: just wanna make it clear that i dont carry cuffs nor do i think anyone but LEO's need to in a NORMAL day to day situation. i have them in my BOB for if SHTF and i have to fight zombies. cuffing is better than cutting or shooting :)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom