• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • THarris88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2013
    I've read that both thumbs need to be pointing in the direction of the target.

On the 92fs my thumb usually gets placed on the slide, or on the lever to take the gun apart.

Is this gun different from many others because I am having a hard time practicing and do not want to develop bad habits.

Thanks

THarris88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2013
    Can you snap a picture?

301dgsj.jpg

Sorry it took so long.

I am not able to place my support (left) hand while taking the picture, but as you can see my right thumb is directly under the slide.

My left thumb, IF it was there would be placed directly under the slide and past the lever.

It just doesn't feel right?

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    301dgsj.jpg

Sorry it took so long.

I am not able to place my support (left) hand while taking the picture, but as you can see my right thumb is directly under the slide.

My left thumb, IF it was there would be placed directly under the slide and past the lever.

It just doesn't feel right?

As high as you can on the gun, which would be directly under the slide. Thumbs pointing at the target. If this is new it will feel terrible at first. Changing a grip takes some time and some effort. It will become the norm if you stay after it.

THarris88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2013
    As high as you can on the gun, which would be directly under the slide. Thumbs pointing at the target. If this is new it will feel terrible at first. Changing a grip takes some time and some effort. It will become the norm if you stay after it.

It does feel terrible.

The circle in red is where my left thumb usually is, and I was told it should not cover any of the 'levers'..My fingers are sort of long.

10xbt5h.jpg

Is this a major problem if it does?

Thanks for all the quick responses guys, I just don't want to develop bad habits.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    It does feel terrible.

The circle in red is where my left thumb usually is, and I was told it should not cover any of the 'levers'..My fingers are sort of long.

10xbt5h.jpg

Is this a major problem if it does?

Thanks for all the quick responses guys, I just don't want to develop bad habits.

Can't you just put your thumb on the frame under the lever? You would know you are putting it in the same place and it would be a good position.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    what I consider a proper grip, and the photo happens to contain a 92:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/421173-post33.html

also, you don't want your thumbs "placed" anywhere on the gun. If you are putting them "on" the gun, then they can steer the gun. You just want them out of the way along the side of the gun.

I would not be concerned if the thumbs touched the take down lever. you will not accidently disassemble the gun. I would be concerned if you are riding the slide release, and either causing it to activate early or not activate at all.

Get that strong-hand thumb up higher!

-rvb

Last edited:

KillStick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Anderson
    I always have a tendency on the 92 models to hold the slide lock down with a High Grip (I shoot 1911's), causing the slide to always close on the last round. Just a habit I have never corrected with this gun since it is just my range gun.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Notes on running the beretta including establishing grip.
    [youtube]

Did not see anything in there about establishing grip other than the suggestion to go through the motions to knock the safety off every time.

As for the topic of this video (working the slide on a gun w/ slide safeties), I'll add that this was the reason I ran a 92G for many years. It has a decocker only, not a safety. Rather than special monkey motions, I simply didn't care if I activated the lever because the gun would be ready to run regardless (just in DA if the lever got toggled). I don't believe Beretta is currently producing anything in "G" configuration, so that limits the availability of that method to solve the problem (and doesn't help our military folks).

The best take-away from this video (which isn't related in any way to the original question) is that despite the claims of many folks, there is no "one way" that will work well for every pistol you may come across. There are other methods for working a 92 slide, such as a "sling-shot" method done by grabbing under the levers from the rear.

-rvb

Last edited:
    Top Bottom