• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Ok to carry my gun into a city building, but WATCH OUT for my Kershaw Leek, that is a monster slayer!

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Didn't know I was illegal in a city park... guess my walks will have to be truly around the outside of the park for now on, just in case... hate walking in the middle of the street though.... but if the govment says it's good for me who am I to argue.. LOL

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    You're good now, heck you could have carried at festival of the lakes and they could not have stopped you or asked you to leave.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    I am not aware of the city rule re: storage of more than 500 rounds of ammo.

Do you have any info or cites on this?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    IC 35-47-11.1-2
    Political subdivision regulation of firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories prohibited
    Sec. 2. Except as provided in section 4 of this chapter, a political subdivision may not regulate:
    (1) firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories;
    (2) the ownership, possession, carrying, transportation, registration, transfer, and storage of firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories; and
    (3) commerce in and taxation of firearms, firearm ammunition, and firearm accessories.

If Hammond has such an ordinance, it is forbidden under IC 35-47-11.1, which provides for civil penalties.

One might even look upon this ordinance as a financial opportunity. I wouldn't advise anyone to violate the law, however, according to:
    IC 35-47-11.1-3
    Voidance of political subdivision ordinances, measures, enactments, rules, policies, and exercises of proprietary authority
    Sec. 3. Any provision of an ordinance, measure, enactment, rule, or policy or exercise of proprietary authority of a political subdivision or of an employee or agent of a political subdivision acting in an official capacity:
    (1) enacted or undertaken before, on, or after June 30, 2011; and
    (2) that pertains to or affects the matters listed in section 2 of this chapter;
    is void.
    this is not law... it is void.

Just sayin'...

Blessings,
    Bill

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Ok to carry my gun into a city building, but WATCH OUT for my Kershaw Leek, that is a monster slayer!

Doesnt the new law include gun accessories that enhance performance?
    I guess if you want to carry a knife in city hall, you can always get a bayonet for your AR, and still be good. Wouldnt that be permissible?

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    I am not aware of the city rule re: storage of more than 500 rounds of ammo.

Do you have any info or cites on this?
    From the Hammond City ordinances:
    Sec99.28 "(A) No person shall bring into or have in his or her possession in any park or park street any firearms, slingshots, firecrackers, torpedoes..."

Sec93.020 "(A)...Nothing herein contained shall be held to prevent any person from keeping on his own premises, for his or her own use, a quantity of gunpowder not exceeding 1 pound or loaded shells or cartridges not exceeding 500 in number."

Sec 99 deals with the parks, Sec 93 is the fire prevention ordinance. Heck I'm sure I have 20 times the number listed in that one.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Didn't know I was illegal in a city park... guess my walks in a motorized wheelchair will have to be truly around the outside of the park for now on, just in case

FTFY :D

IC 35-47-11.1-2
    Political subdivision regulation of firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories prohibited
    Sec. 2. Except as provided in section 4 of this chapter, a political subdivision may not regulate:
    (1) firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories;
    (2) the ownership, possession, carrying, transportation, registration, transfer, and storage of firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories; and
    (3) commerce in and taxation of firearms, firearm ammunition, and firearm accessories.

If Hammond has such an ordinance, it is forbidden under IC 35-47-11.1, which provides for civil penalties.

One might even look upon this ordinance as a financial opportunity. I wouldn't advise anyone to violate the law, however, according to:
    IC 35-47-11.1-3
    Voidance of political subdivision ordinances, measures, enactments, rules, policies, and exercises of proprietary authority
    Sec. 3. Any provision of an ordinance, measure, enactment, rule, or policy or exercise of proprietary authority of a political subdivision or of an employee or agent of a political subdivision acting in an official capacity:
    (1) enacted or undertaken before, on, or after June 30, 2011; and
    (2) that pertains to or affects the matters listed in section 2 of this chapter;
    is void.
    this is not law... it is void.

Just sayin'...

Blessings,
    Bill

As Bill B shows you the city of Hammond does still indeed have 2 ordiances that are in violation of the law.

I don't think Hammond is aware of these two ordianace.
    From the Hammond City ordinances:

Sec 99 deals with the parks, Sec 93 is the fire prevention ordinance. Heck I'm sure I have 20 times the number listed in that one.

As BoR points out this is a good $$$ for anyone that the city tries to slap a fine with. Suspect that no one has ever been fined for the 500+ ammo stuff.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    As Bill B points out, I gotta leave my submarine unarmed when I take it to Hammond now. :p

Not to threadjack, but would this new law nullify the Town of Speedway concealed carry law?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Not to threadjack, but would this new law nullify the Town of Speedway concealed carry law?

I'll answer this 1 only because your our hillbilly cousin from the SOUTH (ie. Anything SOUTH of NWI is hillbilly land until you get to the next land of crazy called bloomin....

Yes the new laws on 01 JUL 2011 did a
    705px-nuclear_fireball.jpg
    on all city and county laws regarding guns!
    :rockwoot:

So whatever speedway had (I think it was OC only) is now out the window.c

Top Bottom