• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nsheepdog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Carmel, IN
    The Hamilton County Sheriff's Department has a Citizen's Academy. I am currently in the class. It is really cool. We're getting an overview of tactics, mindset, different jobs within the dept, and much more. It is a public outreach effort and it's just awesome. The instructors are very nice. It is enlightening to see the perspective from the law enforcement side.

Sarge470

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Glad to hear you're getting some exposure to the world of LE; more people should do it, to be honest. Our agency has run Citizens' Academy classes in the past, and it's a great way to take some of the mystery out of how and why we do some things.

nsheepdog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Carmel, IN
    I never knew how stressful making a "routine" traffic stop can be. Next time I get pulled over, which doesn't happen often, I'll keep in mind that the officer has no idea whether I'm just a person who went too fast or a murderer.

ejm874

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    NWI/Indy
    Glad to hear other people are participating in these also. I just started the Valparaiso CPA last night, and I'm excited for the next 9 weeks. And I'm contemplating volunteering for the taser near the end of the program. Don't know why, but I've always wanted to know what it felt like -- doing it voluntarily, that is.

E

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I never knew how stressful making a "routine" traffic stop can be. Next time I get pulled over, which doesn't happen often, I'll keep in mind that the officer has no idea whether I'm just a person who went too fast or a murderer.

yeah, if i get stopped by the police, I dont know that about them either. thats why I dont say a word

nsheepdog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Carmel, IN
    I am looking to get a neighborhood crime watch going on my street. I probably would not have been inclined to do so, had I not participated in the Citizen's Academy.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    I'm in the CPA here in S'ville. We "graduate" in two weeks. Last week was evidence collection and this week we go to the FATS trainer in Griffith.

It's been a blast. I'm hoping to join VIPS at the end of it - Volunteers in Police Service.

Given me a real insight into police work, and as the OP said - traffic stops are bloody dangerous. Plus now I always keep my hands out of my pockets around a cop. They all watch for it. LOL.

The officers doing the classes seem to get a lot out of it too and are genuinley happy to have some public interaction that doesn't result in an arrest :D

nsheepdog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Carmel, IN
    Cool, I used to live in Schererville. Nice town. Yes, I think the LE officers enjoy it as much as we do, and probably appreciate the "non-arrest" interaction with the public!

I'm in the CPA here in S'ville. We "graduate" in two weeks. Last week was evidence collection and this week we go to the FATS trainer in Griffith.

It's been a blast. I'm hoping to join VIPS at the end of it - Volunteers in Police Service.

Given me a real insight into police work, and as the OP said - traffic stops are bloody dangerous. Plus now I always keep my hands out of my pockets around a cop. They all watch for it. LOL.

The officers doing the classes seem to get a lot out of it too and are genuinley happy to have some public interaction that doesn't result in an arrest :D

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    My son's gone to both stages of the Carmel Teen Academy. They PT'd them and everything. He loved it, and may well consider law enforcement.

Top Bottom