• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archer46176

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    South East of Indy
    Is anyone here a HAM operator with the attitude that newbies are a good thing to the HAM hobby. My dad and I would like to take the technkcian class license test and I would like as much jnformation about the process as possible. He lives in our hometown of Shelbyville and I am currently near Whiteland and we would like a wah to communicate during times that cell service is down.I ha e some HAMs on facebook that have been a great help but none are local so it's very hard for them to do much more than give advice or share links to websites. Any help is greatly appreciated...

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Archer you just missed the one day class offered by the Midstate Amateur Radio Club in Franklin. They had 20 some students and just about everyone passed the required FCC exam. Check the website there for when the next class will be, but I'm guessing not uintil later in the fall.

Amateur Radio in Johnson County

Good luck and 73

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Lots of us helpful hams out there. Keep in mind many of the hams from an era when you had to build your radio if you wanted one. Some of these old engineers like rules better than people.

I will be holding some classes in Emergency Group Comms in your area this year.

For that distance skip the handhelds and go with a mobile radio like the Yeasu FT-1500 or 2900. Or the Icom or Kenwood similar. A decent antenna on your roofs and you will not need repeaters. Assuming you are not in a valley.

For the tech license really you can study the free online exams and pass.

Good luck keep the questions coming.

Porky

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Roger that. I found the people in Franklin were unusually helpful. Now have my general and looking at expert over the winter. Test material and reality seem somewhat different. Get your tech license and you will find lots of help. 73

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    A good buddy in Shelbyville is a fairly new HAM, we both started the process and he actually followed through with it and moved up to the next class above Tech already. If you need info to contact him, give me a PM and let me know. He is a nice guy and more than willing to help.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    While I've taken the tests through Extra Class, I've not really operated. I have two radios built, but just not set aside time for it. I've found the folks at the meetings in Franklin and in Indy (many similar folks) very welcoming.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    You also might check to see if you have a local amateur radio club. I know many of the people in our club (me included) go out of their way to generate interest and help people to get their first license.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    You also might check to see if you have a local amateur radio club. I know many of the people in our club (me included) go out of their way to generate interest and help people to get their first license.

I will have to take you up on that one day. I've been meaning to do mine forever.

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    Archer46176 -- You already have the link for Mid-State ARC; there is also the Blue River Valley Amateur Radio Society in Shelbyville. Their website is www.brvars.com, but I cannot get it to work. They are scheduled to meet on 9/17 and 11/19 from 7:30-9:00pm at the Public Library Annex at 57 W. Broadway Street in Shelbyville.

Also, I am in New Palestine, and would be happy to meet with you sometime, and try to help. I'm also a member of the Hancock County club (Hancock Amatuer Radio Club; www.w9atg.org).

-- Greg/Grizhicks, K9TLA (Extra)

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    I will have to take you up on that one day. I've been meaning to do mine forever.

The Technician class license is SOOOOOO easy to get. If you can learn Ohm's Law, and a few basic rules, it's a cinch. My wife, who had no working knowledge of electricity or electronics worked with me for about 10 hours before passing her Technician with 100%. She then continued studying and went on to pass her General with 100%, and her Extra with 99%. She did this in a span of less than 5 months.

Top Bottom