Nov 24, 2009
    Plainfield, IN
    Letters To The Editor
    cc: Circulation Dept.
    The Indianapolis Star
    PO Box 145
    Indianapolis, IN 46206-0145

To The Editor of The Star;

As a continuous subscriber of both the Indianapolis News, until its demise, and the Indianapolis Star since 1976, as well as being a paper carrier for The News from 1963 until 1972, this does not come easy. The September 4, 2012 Our Opinion editorial by the Star’s staff misleadingly titled Easy Gun Access Isn’t Neighborly is the last straw in our 49 year relationship. Please cancel my subscription when this month’s automatic debit runs out.

While I have an open mind to real facts on both sides of an issue I will not financially support a business that tries to influence the population toward further restrictions of my rights and interests by circulating the slanted talking points and statistics of anti-gun organizations including the Brady gun control campaign without checking the facts. The article was obviously written by staffers who have neither experienced purchasing a firearm nor even researched the state and federal laws pertaining to the purchase and ownership of a firearm. Minimal research on your part would have de-bunked the Brady claims. Simple logic was also lacking in the piece.

If “easy access” to firearms in Indiana and other surrounding states is the cause killing so many Chicago residents why do we not have the same problem here and in other cities in other “easy access” states? The true cause of all the mayhem in the windy city is Chicago ’s draconian gun prohibition that makes easy victims of its residents. Even after the Supreme Court ruled in favor of Chicago residents’ right to own a firearm Chicago’s anti-gun mayor quickly wrote and enacted new laws to prohibit possessing a firearm outside of the ‘living area’ of their homes. Current Illinois law prohibits its citizens from carrying concealed weapons. A perfect example of how laws only affect the law abiding. And a Chicago resident cannot legally use a gun for protection on their own property outside of their ‘living area’ and that does not even include their garage. Law breakers will never comply with the laws. If they did they would honor the anti-murder laws enacted over two centuries ago. This is why Thomas Jefferson wrote that one should “be at all times armed”.

Besides the Chicago and Illinois laws ignored in the Star’s opinion article, here are a few other issues that might have altered the article had you done your own research:
    1. The instant background check is the law of the land and is in place in Indiana just as it is in every state nationwide. This applies to gun dealers regardless if at a gun show or their shop.
    2. Straw sales of a firearm are illegal. No exceptions.
    3. Multiple sales of firearms are reported to the BATFE and can be denied during the instant background check. (Ref: Federal Form 4473 and Multiple Sales addendum)
    6. Illegal drug traffic is the root cause of most fatal criminal activity in the US and Chicago .
    7. Possession of a firearm by criminals, the mentally flawed, illegal aliens, etc., are persons denied sale of firearms by current federal statute. (GCA 1968)
    8. Legally possessed firearms are used in less than 1/2 of 1% of all crime in the US . (FBI Uniform Crime Report)
    9. Since the NFA of 1934 there has been only two instances of a legally owned fully automatic weapon used in a crime. Both crimes committed by police officers in the state of Ohio, yet no one mentions disarming police.
    10. The Brady definition of an “assault weapon” is not only incorrect; it is deliberately misleading in an attempt to persuade opinion using fear tactics. An assault weapon is a ‘selective fire’ carbine with fully automatic capability. (Made illegal to own, as well as all other fully automatic guns, by NFA of 1936 without an NFA license and annual tax stamp on each NFA covered device. See item #9) The Brady campaign includes all “black guns” as assault weapons regardless of their lack of fully automatic fire potential. It is like an Indy car with a mini van engine, looks fast but has nothing special when you push the gas pedal. This is a typical tactic of the Brady anti-gun agenda.

I have personally been at hundreds of shooting events with thousands of guns in the hands of thousands of people over the last 42 years and have never seen a single person hurt by an errant or deliberate shot. Of course the Star would never cover an event like The Indiana State Trapshoot which was held in July for the 118th year with a thousand competitors on the northeast side of the Indianapolis area. Nor would the Star cover an event like The Grand American which is one of the oldest sporting events in the world dating back to 1893. It is now held in Sparta , Illinois just down state from Chicago . Currently over 7,000 competitors and thousands of spectators and vendors participate with thousands of guns, and guess what, not a single shooting victim. Nor would the Star even consider sending a reporter to The National Matches at Camp Perry , Ohio to witness firsthand civilian and military rifle and pistol competition. Held since 1907 everyone from America ’s best to the average Joe competes against each other. But alas, with thousands of loaded guns, there is no firearm crime as they have in the restrictive gun law utopia of modern day Chicago .

You might want to consider the words of another writer of articles, pamphlets, and books:
    … arms … discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property…. Horrid mischief would ensue were (the law-abiding) deprived the use of them.” - Thomas Paine

And this writer, not a Brady staffer, but he knows a little something about gun laws:
    "The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." - Thomas Jefferson

Again, please cancel my subscription to the Star.

Regards,
    Mark

Any Star subscribers should cancel too, I waited too long...

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    9. Since the NFA of 1936 there has never been a legally owned fully automatic weapon, or other NFA covered destructive device, used in a crime.

Incorrect, NFA compliant machine guns have been used in murders.

One was a contract hit by a Dayton, Ohio cop.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    10. The Brady definition of an “assault weapon” is not only incorrect; it is deliberately misleading in an attempt to persuade opinion using fear tactics. An assault weapon is a ‘selective fire’ carbine with fully automatic capability. (Made illegal to own, as well as all other fully automatic guns, by NFA of 1936 without an NFA license and annual tax stamp on each NFA covered device.

False. You've mostly defined an "assault rifle" (missed the part about an intermediate power cartridge (not the exact terminology, but close)) and that NFA 1934 required a one-time tax stamp. No license, no renewal, just the stamp. Purchased once, it's good as long as you own the same firearm. This has never been changed, either in timing or cost.

Your other errors I saw have already been corrected. Of note: I support your action here. Let the Star go under, I care not. I'm merely pointing out the irony of you telling them to check their facts and you did not do so yourself. Admittedly, I wrote this from memory, so my own details i.e. the exact phrasing of the definition of the assault rifle, may be questioned.

The "assault weapon" is the manufactured term for something scary.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Were they legally owned by the offender?

Yes.

Since 1934, there appear to have been at least two homicides committed with legally owned automatic weapons. One was a murder committed by a law enforcement officer (as opposed to a civilian). On September 15th, 1988, a 13-year veteran of the Dayton, Ohio police department, Patrolman Roger Waller, then 32, used his fully automatic MAC-11 .380 caliber submachine gun to kill a police informant, 52-year-old Lawrence Hileman.

GunCite - Gun Control: Machine Guns

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Yes.

Since 1934, there appear to have been at least two homicides committed with legally owned automatic weapons. One was a murder committed by a law enforcement officer (as opposed to a civilian). On September 15th, 1988, a 13-year veteran of the Dayton, Ohio police department, Patrolman Roger Waller, then 32, used his fully automatic MAC-11 .380 caliber submachine gun to kill a police informant, 52-year-old Lawrence Hileman.

Thanks! Interesting read.

Both in Ohio. Bad Ohio!

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Yes.

Yup, that one often gets forgotten.

Overall though, nice letter :yesway:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    1. The instant background check is the law of the land and is in place in Indiana just as it is in every state nationwide. This applies to gun dealers regardless if at a gun show or their shop.

False, there are several states that either use their own check, or their carry license is all the background checking done.

See how easy it is to not get ALL the facts straight? Lets hope they dont decide to go out and check YOUR facts.

Otherwise, well written and hopefully it hits home.

Effingham

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Franklin
    Nice!

I canned my Star subscription after those kids were shot in Indy a few months ago, and they were seeming to blame guns for it.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    I have found the Star to be good for two things - I enjoy Curt Cavin's Indycar blog and my birds love having it line the bottom of their cages.

indyrun

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2009
    Plainfield, IN
    OK I made a few errors, but the main point, "we have enough laws" of my letter, compared to the theme of the Star's editorial "we need more laws" was made.

Thanks for the corrections. I wrote the letter from memory, and I was in an upset state when doing so. I am tired of know-nothing "reporters" spewing total misinformation and anti-gun propaganda with the only goal to further limit my God given rights as enumerated by our glorious Constitution and Bill Of Rights!

As Jefferson said: "...all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves..."

I take that to mean no one can take my rights away, through force or legislation.

indyrun

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2009
    Plainfield, IN
    False, there are several states that either use their own check, or their carry license is all the background checking done.

See how easy it is to not get ALL the facts straight? Lets hope they dont decide to go out and check YOUR facts.

Otherwise, well written and hopefully it hits home.

Thanks, I don't think it will change any minds. The only way to do that is to get these anti-gunners to the range!

Isn't it true that states that use their own check system must also access NICS or another accepted criminal database for the check to comply federal requirements? And if a carry permit is substituted for a background check, the permit must be issued only after a background check, also accessing the NICS/or approved database to meet federal minimum requirements. I may not have been technically correct, but background checks are the law of the land. Too much detail will get the letter not read at all. And the opinion I was challenging of the Star was Illinois vs. Indiana law.

Top Bottom