• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    I've talked to CO's before and at the end of each deer season, they go through all the recorded deer checked in and pull out any that are suspicious. Daughter's or wives first deer who's never hunted before, tagging a doe early Sunday morning and things of such matter. Unfortunately, 95% of the people they checked did not obey the law and were overharvesting and they can generally tell straight away. It's unfortunate and bad policy for them to come to your place of business and do that. They should do it in a more professional manner but I guess they feel that that's how they can catch people off guard the best.

Ya, thats one of the things he said " sure is odd its your wifes first time hunting & she killed an 8 pointer"

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    So, relative to all of this, why so harsh on this CO? Obviously, someone reported something suspicious to the DNR, and they are doing their jobs by following up. He came out, talked to you, and it sounds like he believes you. I guess I'm just not seeing the problem here....
    "Something suspicious"
    Lets see, 2 people (adults with LTCH) kill 2 deer, tag 2 deer. Would you mind telling me whats suspicious about that.
    All he shouldve had to do is check for tags in his little database, it would have shown him 2people killed 2 deer, its just that simple, not acuse me of killing 2 deer & having my wife tag the 2nd for me :noway:
    BS

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    So, relative to all of this, why so harsh on this CO? Obviously, someone reported something suspicious to the DNR, and they are doing their jobs by following up. He came out, talked to you, and it sounds like he believes you. I guess I'm just not seeing the problem here....
    It's human nature. Had someone been poaching on the OP's property...he'd be raising hell that DNR wasn't doing their job by stopping it. "Why those rotten SOB's"...

But while attempting to do their job, the OP takes it personal and feels he has his integrity questioned by having DNR attempt to "verally force" a confession from him (meaning he was asked a couple of questions) and now the shoe is on the other foot. "Why those rotten SOB's"...

If you feel the CO violated either policy or law file a complaint...if not...oh well...sorry you feel wronged.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    Has anyone else ever noticed that deer "belong to the people of Indiana " when you want to put one in your freezer, but they belong To God if they come through the radiator of your car? Sorry, slightly off topic, but someone used the phrase "peoples deer"(or something similar) and it reminded me of a heated debate I had with a CO one time.:D

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    If he were guilty then we would be praising the DNR for their extra efforts this far out of season. If you are innocent then just answer their questions and shake hands like men.

1. i never praise the governemnt for doing their dang jobs, its a job, and no cops arent heros for just doing their job, sorry. i hate that word. i hate being called a hero for being a soldier too, its not proper.

2. even if im innocent i dont have to answer any of their questions nor will i. its none of their damn business. you start answering their questions because your innocent and before you know it they might try to charge you with something else thats BS!!! They can ask a crystal ball and get more of an answer they are gonna get from me. most have already made up their minds on what is gonna hapen before they even approach you. they are just trying to get you to hang yourself by answering their questions. every question a cop ask you has a purpose, never forget that, and the purpose is to screw you over.

HoosierPatriot

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    DNR officers are just wierd.... I got asked for a fishing license once way back when galyans was around... I bought a pole and some DNR officer asked if i had a fishing license since i seemed to be going to fish

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    see thats illegal. i would have told him that i follow the law and its none of his business to ask me speculative and assumng questions. period, and then i would have walked away. no hook with it, no bait, and your in the middle of a freeking parking lot. sorry but out of his jurisdiction!!! with no probable cause to even ask you your name.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    DNR officers are just wierd.... I got asked for a fishing license once way back when galyans was around... I bought a pole and some DNR officer asked if i had a fishing license since i seemed to be going to fish
    So...did he ask to see your fishing license...or when you bought the pole was it more like, "you have a license, right"?

HoosierPatriot

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    it was a you have a license to be fishing right? can i see it?

it was wierd... I didnt have one.... i fish out of state......

erik7941

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    Noblesville
    I've had several dealings with DNR for various reasons involving hunting over the years (as well as the sheriff's department). All of the incidents involved someone else poaching on my property (and the DNR and sheriff's came at my call), though a few years ago, I had a similar question brought up to me. The DNR officer said something along the lines of, as long as I'm out here talking to you about these poachers, we noticed last year that you had a few deer come out of this property on several name tags, care to explain? I was immediately angry. I've been taught safe gun/hunting procedures and laws since I was old enough to understand words, so when he accused me, I lost it and started yelling at him. Though after a few sentences, it clicked that he was doing his job and without him and his department, I'd have to rely on the sheriff's department (that is usually not nearly as knowledgeable about hunting regulations). So I apologized for losing my temper and explained that I have a few friends that I let hunt out there with me and we all did pretty good that year. I also mentioned that all of us always have the proper tags and licenses beforehand and I'd be happy to call any of them and let him talk to them. He said that wouldn't be necessary and that he believed me and would be willing to help me on my current poacher problem. Since talking with him, I haven't had nearly the amount of poachers on my property I used to have. So, while it did anger you, (and for obvious reasons since those of us that do abide by the laws seem to be the ones getting questioned about it) I'd let it go.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    LE officers cant just walk up to you and ask for your ID without probable cause. and im sorry some might disagree, but walking out of a retail store with a just purchased fishing pole is not probable cause. its showing off by the CO. just like it is when off duty cops badge you and ask to see your permit...... showing off, because the one or 2 of them cant stand to be a regular joe while their out of uniform.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    DNR are like the gestapo of the government I swear

LE officers cant just walk up to you and ask for your ID without probable cause. and im sorry some might disagree, but walking out of a retail store with a just purchased fishing pole is not probable cause. its showing off by the CO. just like it is when off duty cops badge you and ask to see your permit...... showing off, because the one or 2 of them cant stand to be a regular joe while their out of uniform.
    Broad brushstrokes, guys?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Right, but per the rules, we are supposed to speak of specific instances where we disagreed with whatever person(s). Wide generalizations are not specific. I'm not a defender, I simply do not like to see a whole field slurred by generalizations. You got called into question about Rangers tonight and didn't like it. I am pointing out that it is not pleasant to have it done.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    DNR should operate under the presumption of innocence, just as the courts do. This is a right in the United States and one I'm not fond of giving up.

Just because a certain crime happens a lot isn't an excuse for presuming that the OP was guilty for it.

Guilty until proven innocent?

mike4sigs

Master
    Rating - 94.7%
    36   2   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Southern Adams County
    ?? MM not calling you out but i do beleive we all better take as step back ! and learn our laws i think i read some place in that great big web page book that apolice officer has the right to breifly detain a subject and ask for identification ! but any quetions beyond that you dont have to answer and on the otheir hand about he C.O asking for fishing licence in a parking lot i think was out of bounds also ! i would probably got myself into trouble and said something like a smartass !

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    It's human nature. Had someone been poaching on the OP's property...he'd be raising hell that DNR wasn't doing their job by stopping it. "Why those rotten SOB's"...

But while attempting to do their job, the OP takes it personal and feels he has his integrity questioned by having DNR attempt to "verally force" a confession from him (meaning he was asked a couple of questions) and now the shoe is on the other foot. "Why those rotten SOB's"...

If you feel the CO violated either policy or law file a complaint...if not...oh well...sorry you feel wronged.
    You have no idea what your talking about, your comments are spoken like a cop. In no way would i EVER call the law. Ill tell you like i told super DNR, If someone was poaching on my property, I would handle the situation myself, Hell i beg for someone to come poaching on my property. I dont need DNR there to hold my hand while i tell someone thier on my land & i dont need DNR to help me remove someone from my place, dont point your personal weaknesses towards me.
    And as far as being "asked a couple questions" once again you have no idea what you are talking about. The dude questioned me for 20 mins, Starting with " i want to ask you about your wife" < (insert her name here) I had thoughts run thru my head that my wife may be in a car accident, all because this #@$^&&&%$#@#$% wouldnt just state his buisness.
    It MAY have been different if he would have said " Sir, I have a report that you killed a deer & had your wife tag it, is this true"? Thats not how it happened.
    In the future, dont sit here on this interweb forum & tell me & others what i would & wouldnt do in certain situations. You dont know me from Adam.

As for filing a complaint... All that will do is wast more of my time.
    Your last sentence is classic
    "Oh well, sorry you feel wronged"
    G, Wonder what you do for a living :noway:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    A buddy of mine got on a CO's radar because a big group of his friends would use his place to hang and butcher. So you could drive by and see 10-12 deer hanging at times. It took a couple of years of having them checking tags on a regular basis before they gave up.

Top Bottom