• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Benjamin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    If I wanted to go to the gym and work muscles to improve form with a handgun (drawing, stance, controlled rapid fire, ect...) what muscles would I train?

I assume the biceps and maybe some hand/finger strengtheners but what else? What muscles are used in going from an alert situation to a tactical situation?

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    Everyone in your body....

The adrenaline dump will have you feeling like you got ran over by a truck then beat with a baseball bat the next day..

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    1. Forearms: to help you shoot and fight. Lots of reverse curls, empty air grabs, fingertip pushups and the like.

2. Cardio: the most basic martial art. Running to and, especially, running from battle is critical. In addition when in a fight your heart rate will elevate, you have to be in shape to deal with it. Jump rope, running, stairs, etc.

3. Core: you will need your core muscles to move yourself about and to get up when you are knocked down or want to get down (someone is shooting at you).

4. Flexibility: you will need flexibility in your shoulder and pelvic girdle in accessing your pistol (especially during one hand drills). In addition being flexible will allow you to take more damage and heal more quickly after training.

Biceps? Well, those are important in bars around girls.:D

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    One word....Crossfit. Nothing else even comes close. I'm a firearms instructor and all the core muscles are addressed as well as cardio. Crossfit.com

tharlow514

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Grip strength is important but a good all around workout is important as well. You need arm strength and core stability. Train shoulders, triceps, and abs/low back. Most of this you can do at home. Push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups, and I enjoy hitting the heavy bag.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    One word....Crossfit. Nothing else even comes close. I'm a firearms instructor and all the core muscles are addressed as well as cardio. Crossfit.com

Aint that the truth. I am attempting (key word here! :D ) it now, as it was suggested by the IMPD physical instructor during the first physical test. Very hardcore stuff and the core muscles will be sore muscles! :D I can barely get the cores even worked with conventional exercises. The only thing I am not a fan of with Crossfit is the paying situation. You have to pay in order to learn it and do it. I already pay gym fees, on top of this. But, it works and works well.

Now, I do that PLUS a 10 hour a day, very physical and very demanding production job. I am wore out by the weekends, but have lost 7 lbs in the past 3 weeks (getting back to skinny rather than normal!).

Whiskey Lake

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Indy Area
    I work out with my own body weight primarily - dips, pushups, situps, reverse situps, squats, pullups, etc. Work your core and train your ENTIRE body. You might try some explosive work like boxing to improve reactions.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Dead lifts, Squats, Bench Press

Repeat every other day. Get plenty to eat.

Agreed, those are core, add in Rows, Overhead Press, pull ups, and dips and mix. That should cover just about all muscle groups. As extras I also mix in leg lifts and planks.

I follow one of the plans on Build Muscle & Lose Fat Through Strength Training | StrongLifts.com and it works pretty good for me.

One word of caution, do the exercises right or you will hurt yourself. Crossfit has some great vids on how to do things, so does Stronglifts. I was doing squats wrong and really irritated my right knee and had to layoff for months.

I go to the gym 3 days a week, I alternate the above exercises every other visit except I do squats every visit. The program works very well for beginners, just be sure to start with weights that seem much to light, they will build up quickly.

Make sure you are also stretched correctly and well. When you are strong and agile, everything improves.

Top Bottom