• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dougt06

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    Today i stopped at a rummage sale where several people had tents set up sellin their stuff. I was semi oc'in. Had my gun holstered on my side but had my t-shirt pulled down over the grip, my holster was still visable though. I had walked by dozens of people without so much as a look.

Then i was approached by a guy i know. Wouldnt called him a friend, we just know each others name and thats about it. We BS for a minute, then he looks down at my side and asks, "What are you packin?"... So i simply replied... A colt commander .45. He then asked me..."Well would you take it out and let me see it?" I told him that i didn't think that would be a very good idea... He just looked at me dumbfounded, so I went on to explain to him that there were alot of people around and it wouldnt be very safe or responsible to take my gun out and show it off, and that I didnt want to scare anyone. Then another guy chimes in and says... "Well you have a permit don't you?"... I just replied no, but i have a license to carry. At this point both guys are offended. They both took it as i was calling them a couple of idiots and that i didnt trust them with a gun. Neither one ever realized that it wasn't the time nor the place to be showing off guns.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Meh. I just would've considered inviting them to the range for the day. Tell them to bring the ammo.
    Or tell them you'll show it to them later.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    they were IDIOTS!!!! you didnt need to call it to their attention with the word, they did it just fine themselves, LMAO.

GOOD FOR YOU MAN!!! sounds like you were the only one that had their head screwed on tight. you did the right thing. SUGGESTION: next time tuck the shirt in and OC, its a very fulfilling and rejuvinating experience!!! especialy since if half the gun sticks out theres realy no purpose to cover it anyways :)

libertybear

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Morristown
    Sounds like you handled it pretty well to me. I would not show someone my gun unless we are at the range or in private never in public in plain view where others could see.

AJBB87

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    Here
    Suppose they would have been offended if you'd said "I only pull my gun if I intend to use it." ?

AJb

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This reminds me of people who get offended when they hand you a gun, and after you check to make sure it's not loaded, they get huffy because you didn't "trust" them.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    This reminds me of people who get offended when they hand you a gun, and after you check to make sure it's not loaded, they get huffy because you didn't "trust" them.
    Yup. I taught my Daughter to check a gun even after I clear it in front of her and hand it to her. If she has the nerve to double check her old man then she can check anyone.

Big difference between friend and associate. My Friends would never do something dumb like the idiots in the original post. Known Associates are 100% expendable and replaceable when they do.

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy

I ALWAYS check a gun...even when I had to pull it out of the safe and I was the last person who handled it...just a good habit to be in...anyone who doesn't understand that shouldn't be handling guns in the first place.

dougt06

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    I ALWAYS check a gun...even when I had to pull it out of the safe and I was the last person who handled it...just a good habit to be in...anyone who doesn't understand that shouldn't be handling guns in the first place.

I couldnt agree more!!! I have taken guns into local gun shops and watched every employee handle it and and never once check it.

dr632

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 29, 2010
    Brown County
    Thank you for sharing this experience. Keeping your pistol holstered was the most responsible and SAFE choice. You are to be commended. I will remember your example if/when I'm ever approached.

I think I worry too much about concealment for just this same reason - whether they would be friendlies or troublemakers. I even make sure I'm not printing with either my primary or BUG. I've have IWB mag holders on order as I'm even worried my shirt may find itself above caught there and exposing my two extra mags.

Good thing these were good guys and not bad guys that saw your carry piece.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I'm sorry if they felt foolish, but there is no way whipping out your gun there would have been safe, or responsible. You would have scared the crap out of someone for sure. If you really wanted to show it to him, I could see going to your car, where you could conduct business with some measure of privacy, and with the ability to have the gun pointed at something, like the engine block, that would stop a bullet in the event of a ND.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    You absolutely did the right thing! A public place is not ideal for showing someone a handgun.

I would have invited him to the range for a Friday Night Steel or something, but I would not have shown him my gun. don't even feel comfortable asking someone to see their gun at the range. I make a compliment and if they offer it, I may take a look. Maybe it's just me, but his request went beyond presumptuous and was downright offensive, at least to me.

Top Bottom