• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Anyone using the micro mesh stainless guards? Raptor leaf guards? I am tired of walking a steep pitch to blow out debris.

We get crazy seed/bud strings and need something that has fine holes.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Anyone using the micro mesh stainless guards? Raptor leaf guards? I am tired of walking a steep pitch to blow out debris.

Just know that none of them work perfectly in areas of heavy tree debris. I just have a good insured company that come out clean the gutters three times a year. At current prices it will take at least ten years and maybe as much as fifteen to just break even at three cleanings a year…

Reactions: Leo

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've tried them all. You may as well just take the gutters off, it is just going to run right over no matter which on you use.

When you are taking them off, save a couple of them. Cut it short enough you can just roll it up in a tube about the size of a paper towel roll. Set your latter right where the gutter runs in to the down spout and climb it there and put the roll in the spout hole to stop the crap from running down and clogging the spout.

All you have to do to clean the gutters it climb the ladder inn that one spot and dip it out and right there in front of you. What ever is on the roof will be right there at the down spout, easy peasy. I do it every time they are predicting a big rain.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    When you are taking them off, save a couple of them. Cut it short enough you can just roll it up in a tube about the size of a paper towel roll. Set your latter right where the gutter runs in to the down spout and climb it there and put the roll in the spout hole to stop the crap from running down and clogging the spout.
    Put those in last year and they suck. Completely dammed up in no time. My goal is no more Climbing up there 4-5 times a year. With this fine mesh nothing is supposed to get through.

I know standard guards are junk but this kind looks good enough to try.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I have these on my current house, so far so good.

Each downspout has a leaf filter basket in it, very little debris every time I check them.

I'm way out in the woods and it's doubtful the elderly couple we bought the place from had them cleaned.

I did have 1 of 4 downspouts with a few leaves, hung up on the screws by them. Aside from that, they're great...

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis

We have what appear to be Leaf Filter micro mesh gutter screens.
    They were on the gutters when we moved in 8+ years ago.

They've worked great and I've NEVER ONCE had to clean the gutters.
    Water still rushes out of the downspouts when it rains.
    We also have trees around.
    57u357357kji367k36.jpg

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    Those micro mesh gutter guards are junk. They will silt and mold/moss over in time. The water will just run off and not into the gutter. I ripped those things off after having water issues from running off the gutters.

Spend your money paying someone to clean your gutters.

chuck

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I had something similar on the gutters when we moved in this house. Honey locust tree still gummed the gutters up. I would end up having to pull sections off and whoever put them on and cut them to fit turned those things into razors that would cut through gloves.

We cut down that tree and I pulled most of the gutter screens off, except one side of the house that has a different tree near it which doesn't pollute the gutters nearly as bad.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I had @CHCRandy install the large hole screens on my gutters. The worst thing I can say is the "helecopters" get stuck in them in the spring. You can see the blades sticking up as the seeds are stuck in the holes.

Eventually they break down and the seeds fall in. And then get washed down the downspout.

I'm happy with them. Even though the high end competitors claim they clog like crazy. My mom has the same size and hers work good as well. And she lives next to a wooded lot.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I think it can be so subjective depending on just how many trees you have.

My house has at least some shade except from 11:30 to 3 roughly. As i am surrounded by trees, maples mostly.. I probably should cut them back.

My roof is also very low pitch so things are prone to sit on the roof.

Others may be dealing with trees scores of feet away probably have a more positive experience.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I have open gutters. Trees everywhere. Leaf blower with the gutter cleaning kit is the answer I choose. 2 maybe 3times a year I spend 1/2 hour blowing them out. Once a year pull the downspouts to check for garbage in them. One of the magical gutter systems quoted me $3200 for my 36' long home. 108 ft of gutter. I told them for that I could hire a high schooler with a ladder twice a yr until I died.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Those micro mesh gutter guards are junk. They will silt and mold/moss over in time. The water will just run off and not into the gutter. I ripped those things off after having water issues from running off the gutters.

Spend your money paying someone to clean your gutters.

chuck
    As seen in Post #13, that hasn't at all been our experience in over 8 years living here.
    We love 'em.
    YMMV

Top Bottom