• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Well Im going to attempt to do something I never usually have the patience for: document a project as I do it. I usually get so wrapped up in a project that I never document anything, as I just want it done. This one will be a little more involved, and take a little bit of time and planning so Im going to give it a shot.

I purchased a Century Arms built AK-74 off an INGO member as a project rifle. It should be the poster child of issues with Century built rifles. The main complaint from the previous owner (PO) is that everything shot out of the rifle keyholed. Now, thats an issue for sure, but I found another HUGE issue on top of that. The front trunnion is LOOSE in the receiver. Yup, the rivets weren't properly seated when they were crushed leaving space under 4 or 5 of the 6 rivets. One of them is even loose enough I can wiggle it with my fingers. It's so bad that you can grab the barrel of the rifle with one hand and the receiver with the other, and physically see movement.

Overall, the rifle is made with pretty decent parts. Its a non-matching (mostly, the bolt and carrier match) Bulgarian parts kit, built on a top quality No-Dak Spud receiver. If it weren't for the keyholing barrel I would say the only thing I really don't like is the craptastic Century furniture.

anyway, I will basically be removing the front trunnion, removing the barrel and installing a US made chrome lined barrel, setting the headspace, and then reassembling the rifle. There is a possibility of some mods being done such as a 100 series folding stock, moving the front site base back and pinning a flash hider to shorten it up a bit, and maybe a TWS extended handguard / dustcover system, or maybe not. ill figure that out when I get there.

here are some pics:

cai74-1.JPG

cai74-2.JPG

cai74-3.JPG

cai74-4.JPG

cai74-5.JPG

I ran to the range on my lunch today to see how badly it keyholed. Its pretty bad. Here it is at 7 yards (note: no attempt for accuracy):

cai74-keyhole1.JPG

I took it out to 50 yards, and suprisinging the bullets seem to stabilize a LOT compared to 7 yards. (note: no attempt for accuracy):

cai74-keyhole2.JPG

cai74-keyhole3.JPG

anyway, it will be slow going but Ill try to update this as I go.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    man thats a doozy. I've always hated that lame handguard. How ya gonna fix the key holing? Got another barrel?

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    I never understood why Century uses a NDS receiver and then does a poor riveting job with it. Hopefully the trunnion and reciever holes are not egg-shaped from the loose rivets. The hardest part will be cutting/drilling out the current rivets without gouging the good receiver. Everything else is pretty much a standard build.

That's going to be a fun project. I just got in my parts in for my AK74 to begin the build after the Maadi and AMD65.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    That looks exactly like a Century AK74 I have, keyholing and all. (well, no loose rivets) I will follow with interest. Not that I plan on doing anything with mine. I have wanted to sell it, but would feel bad dumping it on some unsuspecting person with the keyhole issue. It just sits cause I really don't need the extra caliber headache right now.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    man thats a doozy. I've always hated that lame handguard. How ya gonna fix the key holing? Got another barrel?

I dont currently have another barrel but there are US made chrome lined 74 barrels available for around $100. I've got a couple of new bulgy 74 barrels but Im saving those, so unless I can find another combloc barrel for around $100 Ill probably be going the US route.

Hopefully the trunnion and reciever holes are not egg-shaped from the loose rivets. The hardest part will be cutting/drilling out the current rivets without gouging the good receiver. Everything else is pretty much a standard build.

Yeah, my normal de-milling methods probably wont work well with this one. I do have a trigger guard rivet drilling jig that works really well. I'll use it to drill out the center of the rivets, but the hardest part will be drilling out enough of the rivets so I can slide the trunnion out of the receiver with out bending it up.

I'm actually off work the last 11 days of this year so maybe I'll get this finished sooner rather than later. I do want to go shoot it one more time with surplus ammo to see if the lighter bullet weight makes the keyholing issue worse.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    That looks exactly like a Century AK74 I have, keyholing and all. (well, no loose rivets) I will follow with interest. Not that I plan on doing anything with mine. I have wanted to sell it, but would feel bad dumping it on some unsuspecting person with the keyhole issue. It just sits cause I really don't need the extra caliber headache right now.

If the price is right Im always looking for a project If you're serious about getting rid of it send me a PM :)

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I had one of these rifles earlier this year, it ran like a champ. I did change the crappy furniture though to wood, much better. In the end though I stuck with the 7.62 round and got rid of all my 5.45 goods. Good luck on the project and thanks for posting it up. :yesway:

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Clay, if you have one, you could use the AK-Builder trunnion jig and slowly get the rivets off your NDS receiver. I'm still grinding old rivets off my Maadi trunnion but I can drill them out if the punch and hammer won't knock them out.

front_trunnion.jpg

Last edited:

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    What about furniture? You can't make this thing as awesome as it should be and put that goofy **** back on. I'll donate a bakelite '74 mag if you go wood. Challlonnnnnnge!

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    What about furniture? You can't make this thing as awesome as it should be and put that goofy **** back on. I'll donate a bakelite '74 mag if you go wood. Challlonnnnnnge!

I'm building my wife's AK74 with wood vitamink :) Care to donate a Circle 10 or 21? JK....those damn things are expensive.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    that craptastic plastic will be gone shortly. It will be forsale and if that doesn't work Ill use it for target practice........ ;) and wood is definitely in the running!!

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Once it's ready to go and you text me a picture with some nice wood on there, i'll mail the mag out to you for the final show and tell and before and after stuff.

Wabbit, if i had a ((10)) or ((21)) in 5.45 i'd send it to you (unfortunately all my 74 mags are bakelite), but you'd also have to document the process of you building your wife's gun. I plan on bookmarking this thread as i'm sure i'll run across a keyhole prone AK and this thread'll be chock full of knowledge with some other folks weighing in from time to time. I like to learn and it's worth $40+ for me to get some knowledge. I figure the mag will be the incentive to make the gun and this thread awesome.

Top Bottom