• ...and so much more!
  • Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Hey INGO,

The recent "would you trust your life with a clone" thread got me thinking.

I recently got burned on gunbroker and paid a browning price for a FEG counterfeit hi-power(no recourse of action is available, waited too long).

I have not qualms with the gun other than the value associated with it....it seems to function well and shoot acceptable groups.

My dilemma....
    I bought this "browning" so that I could have it milled for new sights, install a new hammer/sear set, install nice grips, and have a new carry gun.
    But, if I put $350 worth of work into the gun...well...the work is almost worth as much as the pistol its self.

Do I:????
    - Modify and gunsmith this "counterfeit"
    - Buy a real browning/FN and have "feel good" value

What would INGO do?

Please and thank you
    God bless
    -Shred

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Do you plan to keep this gun, or will it end up sold eventually?

Also, deeply consider, when you hold this gun will you always be thinking "I wish it were a Browning"? Will you ever be able to accept it for what it is, a nice usable firearm, or will it always nag you that you didn't get the real deal? If you think it will bother you in the slightest a while from now you should go ahead and sell it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Wow.....that sucks but is all to common these days. Another statement of why I never buy a used gun on line.

That said, when you consider dressing up your old pig with some fancy cloths and jewelry.....in the end, you have spent time/money and still only have an old pig with some fancy clothes and jewelry on it. Just a pig at heart.

I have done this to some RIA's for friends and such. They spend more money getting them to run like a $700 gun when they could have just bought the $700 gun.

Your call my friend but I would sell it and start with a solid platform. JMHO

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I supercharged a Cavalier when I was in my early twenties because I couldn't afford a real sports car. Yes it was better & faster, but still just a Cavalier in the end. I agree with CM, buy the real deal, and put your mind at ease.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    IF it's a decent shooter just keep it and break open the piggy bank for the Browning you want. Those "Copies" are decent guns mostly. We've all paid too much for a gun at one time or another.
    I don't buy on line unless no other source is available.
    I'm with CM on putting a bunch of money in one of the lower value guns.
    I had CM go through an Island gun and had a lot of money in it when done. In my case though, I bought that cheaper gun for a purpose so I wasn't worried about scratching, or beating it up. It's all up to what you want a particular gun for.
    In this case I think you've already got a good base for a project gun. IF it's not what you want when it's done then you know NOT to do it on a real Browning.

GingerKid

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2014
    NWI
    I'm assuming you're planning on doing the same work to whatever browning you buy? If that's the case, I'd just keep the cheaper clone and pocket the money for something else. If you wanted the Browning just to have something really nice and maybe show off a bit, that's one thing, but when it comes to a carry gun I'll only pay more if I think I'm getting greater reliability and functionality. If the clone functions fine and is a good shooter, that means a whole lot more to me than any name or heritage associated with it.

On the other hand, if the value of the gun + the work you want to do to it is equal to the price of an equivalent Browning that you don't have to smith at all, then it's a wash.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    If I really liked the gun and was going to keep it for one reason or another to use heavily, I wouldn't be too worried about dropping money on it IF I wanted to. However if I didn't want the gun or wasn't going to use it a lot then definitely not.

Top Bottom