• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mschlatter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    In the Barn
    So I was working on restoring one of my fathers guns the other day. A Marlin model 99. As I was working on it I noticed ther was no serial number on the receiver. I looked over every inch of the gun and found none. After speaking with some old timers they informed me that a lot of low priced guns made prior to 1961 didn't have them. Has anyone else come acrossed this and what other guns might not have been numbered? Just curious.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Serial numbers on at least rimfire guns were not federally mandated until I believe 1968. Take marlin for example that old rimfire 99 did not have any serial number but yet all 39, and 39a's have serial numbers. The 39 series was the premere line. So they got numbered.

As far as barn guns you are correct they were mainly the cheaper of a line and did not get numbered. If also was another step in production they did not have to use.

mschlatter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    In the Barn
    Thanks for the info. I just never noticed it before. I have had this gun for a long time and thought maybe someone had tinkered with it before me.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    The Marlin 99 is a fine .22 Semi- auto. I recently picked up one in a trade myself. It, like yours has no serial #. According my Blue Book, the Marlin 99's were made from 1959-1961.

Serial #'s were not mandated in the U.S. until The Gun Control Act of '68' was inactivated.

As some have mentioned, it is not uncommon to come across a firearm, especially a long gun without a serial #, if it was manufactured+sold in the U.S. prior to this law.

Some high quality firearms also did not have serial #'s prior to this law.
    Example:
    At one time I had two Remington Model 552 Speed Master .22 semi-autos. According to the barrel date code, one was built in August of '67'-it had NO serial #.
    The other 552 was built in November of '68'-it HAD a serial#.
    The Model 552 Speed Master was/is considered a high quality .22 (S,L, or LR).

As said, MOST high quality firearms (even Mfg. before the GCA of '68') DO have serial #'s, but not all.

Enjoy your Marlin Model 99+hope this helps...Bill.

Last edited:

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I have a Savage / Fox 12 ga made in '68 with no numbers on it.

red, I would venture to say that your Savage/ Fox was probably mfg. in early (At least before July) '68', if it got through without a serial #.

My first firearm was a Marlin Golden 39A, that I bought with paper route $, in 1968 had a serial #. I had to give the $89.95 to my Dad to buy it due to the fact as part of the GCA of '68', they could NOT sell a firearm to a 14 Year Old..HA HA...

Edit: Just so it's known--They did NOT have the Straw Purchase laws in effect in 1968...Bill.

PS: How many of you would like to buy a NIB Marlin Golden 39A today for $89.95?? HA HA...

Effingham

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Franklin
    A friend of mine has her late father's 1911 from his time in VietNam -- he was naval intelligence, and his 1911 has no serial number. We think there's a connection.

mschlatter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    In the Barn
    This little 99 has been an adventure. After replacing many more parts and being patient on others still coming, could have bought a new model 60 for about half the money. Oh well, it was my dads and one of the few things that I have of his so its all good. Thanks for the wealth of knowledge from everybody.

mrtdrew

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 22, 2011
    NW Indy
    Ive got an old single shot .22 with absolutely no markings on it what so ever that was my great grandfathers and an old break barrel 12ga without any serial numbers aswell. Beautiful old guns.

newdumdum9825

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Seymour, IN
    I have a Stevens 20 gauge from the 50s and a Stevens .22 over .410 w/o a SN. I thought was crazy when I couldn't find it, but I had some know it all yell at me once tellin me It was impossible cause all guns have a SN

Top Bottom