• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    Pistol Grips and Shotguns Firearms with pistol grips attached: The definition of a shotgun under the GCA, 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(5), is “a weapon designed or redesigned,made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and de-signed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of an explosives to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball shot or single projectile for each single pull of the trig-ger. Under the GCA, 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(29)(A), handgun means “a firearm which hasa short stock and isdesigned to be held and fired by the use of a single hand.” Federal law provides under 18 U.S.C. 922(b)(1), that if the firearm to be transferred is “other than a rifle or shotgun,” the purchaser must be 21 years of age or older. Certain commercially produced firearms do not fall within the definition of shotgun under the GCA even though they utilize a shotgun shellfor ammunition. For example, firearmsthatcome equipped with a pistol grip in placeof the buttstock are not shotguns as defined by the GCA. A firearm with a pistol grip in lieuof theshoulder stock is not designed to be fired from the shoulder and, therefore, is not a shotgun. Since it is a firearm “other than a rifle or shotgun,” the purchaser must be 21 years of age or older. Additionally, interstate controls apply. The licensee and transferee must be residents of the same State. Other questions raised pertain to entries made in the licensee’srequiredrecordswith respect to firearm “type.” These entries should indicate the firearm type as “pistol grip firearm.”

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Pistol Grips and Shotguns Firearms with pistol grips attached: The definition of a shotgun under the GCA, 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(5), is “a weapon designed or redesigned,made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and de-signed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of an explosives to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball shot or single projectile for each single pull of the trig-ger. Under the GCA, 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(29)(A), handgun means “a firearm which hasa short stock and isdesigned to be held and fired by the use of a single hand.” Federal law provides under 18 U.S.C. 922(b)(1), that if the firearm to be transferred is “other than a rifle or shotgun,” the purchaser must be 21 years of age or older. Certain commercially produced firearms do not fall within the definition of shotgun under the GCA even though they utilize a shotgun shellfor ammunition. For example, firearmsthatcome equipped with a pistol grip in placeof the buttstock are not shotguns as defined by the GCA. A firearm with a pistol grip in lieuof theshoulder stock is not designed to be fired from the shoulder and, therefore, is not a shotgun. Since it is a firearm “other than a rifle or shotgun,” the purchaser must be 21 years of age or older. Additionally, interstate controls apply. The licensee and transferee must be residents of the same State. Other questions raised pertain to entries made in the licensee’srequiredrecordswith respect to firearm “type.” These entries should indicate the firearm type as “pistol grip firearm.”

Yep, thought I remember seeing something like that on here awhile back.

Here you go, read post 26 by Kludge

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...t_legal_to_carry_loaded_shotgun_in_car-3.html

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    And if that is not enough, read this one

This just in.....

According to the MCPO as of today this is their opinion and the case law they will follow:

Although a shotgun with a normal stock is meant to be fired from the shoulder and is not a handgun, the absence of a stock and the addition of the pistol grip is an adaptation of the gun that allows it to be fired from one hand. See Ind. Code § 35-47-1-11 (1998) (“shotgun” defined as a weapon intended to be fired from the shoulder). Accordingly, a license is required to carry a pistol-gripped shotgun. Estep v. Indiana, 716 N.E.2d 986, 988 (Ind. Ct. App. 1999).

At least now we know in Marion County no gray area exists.

dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage

dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    Thank you, now everyone who was on my nuts about this can eat their words by reading my last post and your post. Atf does not see pistol grip shotguns as hansguns but say you have to be 21 to purchase, bit Indiana sees them as handguns.

That was rude of me to say and I apologize, I just felt like I was being bashed.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I know mine was only concerning Indiana law, as Indiana considers them a handgun, and requires an LTCH to carry. I don't know about LGS, I have never tried to purchase them, or asked.
    The federal regulations you posted do seem to ( along with IN's interpretation ) classify pistol grip only shotguns as handguns, and require the buyer to be 21 to purchase. Which is why I mentioned it, because they were brought up in the thread, and another poster said the OP could buy ANY shotgun from an FFL.
    We do have LGS owners here, maybe they can chime in.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Just in case all the above wasn't clear, and just in case folks didn't go read Kludge's post citing an Indiana Appeals Court ruling - a pistol gripped shotgun is considered a handgun in Indiana, AND a LTCH is required to carry a pistol-gripped "shotgun" in Indiana. Don't believe it? Read the ruling below:

Converted WP file rhs

Not sure what's unclear about this:
    A handgun is defined in IC § 35-47-1-6 (1998) as "any firearm:
    (1) designed or adapted so as to be aimed and fired from one (1) hand, regardless of barrel length"

The rest of the criteria are "or" not "and."

... When is a shotgun, not a shotgun? When the Court of Appeals says it's not. ...

Just sayin'.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    Seems like everyone has gone off on tangents and forgotten the OP's original question. At 18 you can buy and own a pistol grip shotgun for HOME defense if you wish. While you may not purchase it from a FFL dealer, you certainly can legally purchase from an individual. You can have it in your home without a LTCH. Any carry outside the home would put you into a different category however. So if you want a shotgun for home defense (stock or pistol grip), fine.....If you want a pistol, fine. You just may have to buy second hand from a friend. Not a big deal.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    A shotgun with a pistol grip is NOT a handgun therefore no LTCH is needed to carry it.
    According to Indiana Law my Ithaca Stakeout is a handgun and the same rules apply as those to smaller handguns.
    I know a guy (A LARGE guy) who carried his Stakeout in a shoulder holster.

Made my S&W 629 look downright puny... :(

Top Bottom