• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clarity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    So, James Wesley-Rawles made the case on his website that guns are a good investment. They tend to keep their value, and the value could go way up in the event that guns become harder to buy at shops or if the SHTF.

Now, all joking aside (but Honey, it's an investment!), if you were going to buy and hold a(some) gun(s) for investment, what gun(s) would you choose? In a SHTF situation, reliable tools like Glocks might reign, but if the S does not HTF, you'd probably want the undervalued gem? A reliable, but not high-end 1911 perhaps?

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    If social chaos were to ensue, and it has before AND is happening NOW (Sandy or Chicago, Detroit, even Katrina) you and everyone else would want something reliable and easy to care for with parts that are findable. That means Glocks (fewest moving parts of any semi-auto) or revolvers, with ammo to go with them as bartering tools. I don't see the next four + years as being pretty, which strengthens this position. IMHO.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Buy low sell high. You can never tell what is going to be the one that goes up in value really.

If you want to invest in them make sure they are as close to 100% condition so the collectors will want it.

A 10,000 gun at 100% is only worth about 700 at 25% contition. A 700 dollar gun is worth about 200 at 35% NRA condition.

If you want to buy glocks as an Investment I have some nice swamp land for sale.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Buy low sell high. You can never tell what is going to be the one that goes up in value really.

If you want to invest in them make sure they are as close to 100% condition so the collectors will want it.

A 10,000 gun at 100% is only worth about 700 at 25% contition. A 700 dollar gun is worth about 200 at 35% NRA condition.

If you want to buy glocks as an Investment I have some nice swamp land for sale.
    Agree. Buy the 100% guns with box and paperwork. Avoid the tribute and commemratives. They are all the same in a few years. ie unfired and NIB. Can't hardly go wrong with higher end Colts.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Guns might be an investment...it just depends on a whole variety of things happening. I would think that they would be hard to sell, unless as you say, there is a SHTF scenario. Planning on that, buying a cache of 10/22's and cases of .22 ammo will make you some bucks real quick, along with Kel-Tecs and cases of 9mm. Otherwise, I don't think there's a big market for buying high-end guns, even collector models. I would be wanting I could sell quickly and with 10/22's and PF-9 or P11, you could probably mark them up 200% or more very quickly.

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Select guns as others have mentioned on the thread can certainly be an investment. I don't know much about investment guns, but just look at the prices of the M1 Garand. They seem to be going up, although you're probably not going to get rich off of them anytime soon.

If SHTF, all guns will skyrocket in price. It is simple supply and demand. If there is a high demand for guns, and a low quantity of them, each gun will be worth more. While on that subject, ammo would also be an excellent investment. Guns, unless used as clubs or spears, are totally useless without precious ammo.

For me, I do think of my guns as an investment. However, I think gold and silver are better investments--which will also protect you for when SHTF.

74J10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    I'd be using my guns to protect my gold and silver!:twocents:

Why would you be protecting gold and silver? If things are bad enough I need to stand around and protect my valuables you can bet I will be protecting my food and water way before any gold or silver.

Clarity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    Buy low and sell high. Exactly, but if you are choosing a gun that has a reasonable chance to appreciate and will be a winner if the SHTF, I gotta go with a 1911.

Last edited:

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    All I have learned in my time with guns is that guns are not investments.

Period.

You must be buying crap or not taking care of them.

I have never lost money on any firearm I have ever bought. Some have been very profitable. I shoot everything I own on a regular basis and clean them after each outing. My wife is on the same page and never says no when I am looking at something new. They are definatly investments and wish I had a little more skin to put in the game.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    All I have learned in my time with guns is that guns are not investments. Period.

What are you buying? Depends on what your focus is.

If it is the latest and greatest plastic pistol with crappy trigger, then yes, not an investment.

However, if you buy what they are not making, it is a fantastic investment vehicle. You have to do your homework. You have to put in work (you know, like actually go to gun shows).

Let's look at a couple of recent purchases:

utf-8BRmFpcmZpZWxkLTIwMTExMDIyLTAwMDQ1LmpwZw.jpg

I purchased both for $600.00 ($300 a pop).

The pre-Model 10 is about that and the Outdoorsman recently appraised for $1,800. So, I have a net $1,800. Of course, I have to sell them to make it.:laugh:

Miles42

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    I do not think they are much of an investment. Just try and sell a few and see the wall of low ball offers you get for a really nice vintage gun.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    All of the guns I sold about 18-20 years ago are worth almost double what I paid for them back then. And they were stuff like S&W 586, Ruger single-Six, Remington 870's, Mi Carbine, Garand.

A lot of this thread seems to be talking about holding onto the firearm short term and trying to make money. Hang on to them for awhile and you will make money if you sell them. Even ones they are making now, because down the road they will quit making them or come out with a new version(-1, -2 -3). And that will increase the value of the earlier models in most cases.

Of all the "collectables" I have owned(cars, porcelain figurines, etc.), firearms are the only ones that have always appreciated in value.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Today's $300 Hi point from Ron's Guns is gunna look like a super value in a coupla years!

Lot's of folks like to pick on Ron's Guns, but he's just ahead of his time. A futurist, you might say.

Top Bottom