• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    I use to think along the lines of I would never sell one. Now that I have gotten older I realized that I would never shoot some of them again and have no desire to own them anymore so I started to sell them off slowly. Some I have been able to sell and the others I have traded. The ones I for sure won't sell are my 45 colt revolvers. I am going up in quality and less quantity. There is one that I would sell to only one person if they asked, if anyone else asked it would not be for sale. My dad has only gotten rid of maybe three guns that I know of in the last 20 years and two of them have been to me. He would rather have them sit in the gun safe.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I'm kind of with the guy who said guns are his 401k. I tend to buy higher end guns that I speculate will go up. Kids are grown so I have the disposable income, and it's more fun to buy guns than stick more money in stocks. The biggest problem with this theory is you have to shoot them, and the guns I buy tend to be hungry, really hungry. Last year was probably north of 4 thousand rounds. That kind of kills any investment earnings, but, damn is it fun.

I collect what I like, but I'm not opposed to selling one every now and again. I guess......

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I grew up on a farm out in the sticks, so I've always had some type of firearm since I was a kid. As I grew up and got more serious about my guns, I went through a period of constantly selling and upgrading what I owned in an effort to find what I liked. Now that I'm in my early 40's, I've sort of zeroed in on what suits me and my tastes, so my wheeling and dealing days are coming to a close.

I will add that I recently made a purchase like I have never made before. I picked up a NIB Colt XSE 9mm 1911 simply because it was being discontinued. Colt's XSE line isn't my flavor, so the plan is to keep it NIB and use it as trade-bait one of these days. As time goes by and these dry up, someone will come along that wants it, or that's my hope anyway. We'll have to see how my plan works out. If it does, I may try something like this again.

Last edited:

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    As of now, I don't foresee selling any guns. My collection is pretty small, and every gun I own has a practical purpose. Even with the upgrades I have planned, I can shuffle my depth chart to have a need for everything. Having said that, almost all the guns I own would be liquidated if a need for cash came up. The guns with sentimental value aren't worth much anyway, so parting with them wouldn't help much anyway.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I'm still relatively new to shooting in the scheme of things (bought my first pistol about 6 - 7 years ago). I traded, sold, and bought quite a bit the first few years as my tastes and abilities matured. But at this point, as I've gravitated towards all-steel guns (wheel guns, CZs, a 1911), I'm pretty well through with the "that would fit me better than what I have" phase. I also went through a .40 phase during the ammo crunch. Great round, it packs a punch, but especially as I got into wheel guns, I just didn't have the time or space to keep up with so many different calibers. Plus, sometimes you just don't know how something is going to pan out until you give it a good try.

I still have a couple (a rifle and a pistol) that I might let go of at some point, but it would have to be for something that really piqued my long-term interest.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Well OP your definition is somewhat limited, as I guess I don't fit into your "usual" category! Yep, I am old and no, I haven't sold any firearm in years, but then your definition fails. My youngest son and I own many firearms (around 100 or so). All are in firing condition and with very few exceptions we have fired all of them. It should be obvious that many are not fired regularly as we would have to take a range trip twice a week year around with a different gun to do so, even then it would only be used one time a year. But we have favorites, like our Gerands, carbine, K-31, EDC handguns etc.. We do have PLENTY of ammo for every firearm and capabilities to reload for every caliber we own.

Are these all "treasures"? HelX no, we own everything from Colt's, Smith's, Remington's, Garand's to Cobra's and Jennings. However we have none that we would wish to trade or sell. I am not rich but financially secure and my son is also in good monetary shape. So we continue to purchase firearms when a "good deal" appears or we see something we really desire. I do have my FFL-03 so can purchase Curios and Relics and have shipped directly to me for far less than purchasing and transferring through a dealer. Both my son and I are "members" of the CMP and have purchased firearms and ammo from them.

In my opinion almost all firearms are a very good investment. The only ones I avoid are those with inflated prices touted as limited edition (new) collectible firearms (I have seen many of these overpriced when new and actually worth less in 10 ~ 20 years).

If needed we could in short order recoup all of our investment and probably nearly double the amount we have spent. However we are in the position where we do not need to do this so I intend to leave my share to my heirs. I enjoy shooting, cleaning and owning the firearms, have the money to purchase any others I desire, so why would I / we sell or trade them?

Nope, I don't go to "matches" but shoot at my son's and /or a friends, country homes and the conservation club where we are members ~ we do have friendly competitions between my sons, friends and DIL's though.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    203   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I shoot and collect. I do have some safe queens, and yes I have bought a few turds over the years, if you buy, sell and trade enough, you are bound to get one sooner or later. I went shooting yesterday, and broke out one of my safe queens, I bought it used, but barely used, looks brand new. About a year ago, it has sat in my safe, so I took it out yesterday, and see why it may have been sold, it's not a turd, but did have some minor issues.

So now I will have to dig in and figure it out. Like I said minor, but issues none the less, and if I have to send it back to the factory to get it fixed, I guess that is what I will have to do.

I do own a few that "I will never sell", but most of what I have can be bought for the right price. I tie very little sentimental value to "items" I prefer memories over items. So for me turning loose of something is not that big of a deal, the ones I have that I will never sell, are somewhat un-common, and dare I say "rare".
    Like the blind squirrel, I too have stumbled across some good guns over the years.
    I like my rifles the most, my AR's and M1A's are my favorites, and I like my Smith's, my HK's, and my 1911's too. H*ll I guess you could say I like all my guns, most of the time when I sell one, it's just to get something new, I want a new toy now, just don't know what.
    To me that is part of the fun of trading/selling, you may get offered something you didn't even know you wanted.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    As I told the guy at Bud's Gun Shop up in Alpena MI when he asked if I was a collector, I thought about it and said, "No, I'd say I'm more of an accumulator".

I have never sold a gun...or wanted to. The closest I came was a friend of mine years ago had pawned a gun he really wanted to keep so I bought it so he could buy it back from me when he had the money.

Then again, I'm not an impulse buyer of firearms. I tend to be looking for a specific thing, do my research, buy what I want. Some I have because I liked their history, some because I wanted their capabilities. I certainly have enough that it's challenging to get them all to the range every year, but in the mean time they are not eating anything either.

I keep them for the same reasons I bought them, the reason is still there and if I sold one I'd just have to replace it with the same thing at some point.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Kudos to CCE for providing a good answer.

I had to sort through all the "I don't do X, instead I do Y, which isn't what you asked for, but I like to post..."
    (I kind of did the same thing...)

I'm glad you asked this question, because I'm fascinated by people who always have the latest thing, never have anything out of date, and can't make up their mind as to what they really like.

Whazzup with that?

SNL_1584_04_What_Up_With_That.png

BStarkey 46947

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    I have sold 3 guns and traded 1 in the past 30 years. I have accumulated and inherited 70 plus guns. I have guns that don't get shot (investment grade) and guns that rarely get shot due to the hunting regulations in Indiana. I collect Winchester 94s in various configurations and prefer pretty wood & bluing to plastic but own both. I have a few guns that have doubled in value in the past 20 years. Only make it to the range 5-6 times a year but enjoy my guns none the less.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    One of the lessons my father taught me was to NEVER get attached to anything. Simply because life is a mean cruel *****, and will bite you in the ass when you least suspect it.

When that happens, you HAVE to sell items, and a lot of times its items you care about.

There are guns, and other items, that I hate to have to sell, but I will if I have to. And there are items, and guns, that I have sold to get something else that I'll get more use out of.

Everything I have is for sale.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    One of the lessons my father taught me was to NEVER get attached to anything. Simply because life is a mean cruel *****, and will bite you in the ass when you least suspect it.

When that happens, you HAVE to sell items, and a lot of times its items you care about.

There are guns, and other items, that I hate to have to sell, but I will if I have to. And there are items, and guns, that I have sold to get something else that I'll get more use out of.

Everything I have is for sale.

:+1:

Cola76

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 4, 2013
    Jeffersonville, IN
    I'll not say I'll never sell a gun but I have not sold a gun yet. My collection is not all that large. My budget doesn't allow me to buy multiple guns every year, so I take my time and buy what I really want the most, next. To be honest, I don't have anything so far that particularly disappointed in and therefore anything I want to get rid of to get something else.

Exactly my thoughts on it!

singlemalt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2015
    Frankfort
    I traded a perfect P89DC for a Taurus 85UL years ago. Liked the little .38. VEry easy to carry which is why I traded but missed the Ruger until I bought a replacement about a year ago. Not as nice as the one I traded but every bit as reliable. No plans to sell any ever again. Want to pass them on to the grandkids.

Speedybruin4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    I know life is crazy and complicated, but if I can stay in my current financial situation, I won't sell any guns. If worse comes to worse and I need to feed my family, I won't hesitate to do so.

Every one of my guns has a story behind it, whether its my first AR or a gun that I inherited from my grandfather. I feel like if I sold one, then I would lose a little piece of that memory.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I've sold 3 guns.
    I regret selling 2 of them.

I keeps guns, don't like to sell them
    I buy them cause I like them.
    So why get rid of them?

That being said........
    They are just guns.
    If I have to, well then I may have to sell them.
    Might be on strike next month.
    We'll see what happens if it goes on for a few months.

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    I have not sold a gun yet. I look at it as my children's inheritance. To sell some now would be a loss for them in the future. Maybe one day I will sell a gun but most likely I just want more. Im under the idea that there is never enough and I need more now. Even the cruddy guns I buy ill keep.

On that note I shoot all of my guns. I spent about 4 hrs sat shooting with a friend of mine and we shot a lot of different guns. But I consider my self a collector more then a shooter. I shoot for fun and collect for the same reason. My collection is not large and there are a few I either have not shot YET or will never shoot because of rarity. To each his own.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    There are three I probably will never sell. Two were my Dad's- an M1 Carbine and a Stevens 12 gu double barrel. The other is my Beretta 92fs-my first pistol I bought.

Top Bottom