• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Okay, now I'd like to explore the other side of the coin, and hear from a different group of people. I've met people who say, "I never sell a gun." As in, period. Never.

Usually older guys who are into "classic" stuff, and frequently folks who usually don't shoot very much. They are collectors, sort of, but rarely go to matches, probably only shoot a couple boxes of ammo a year, and have a large number of guns they've never shot at all. (But surely, everyone must buy a turd once in a while? No?)

I'd like to hear from a variety of people on this, because I'm fascinated by people who always get it right the first time, never make a purchasing mistake, and never have buyer's remorse (or change their mind).

Whazzup with that?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'll not say I'll never sell a gun but I have not sold a gun yet. My collection is not all that large. My budget doesn't allow me to buy multiple guns every year, so I take my time and buy what I really want the most, next. To be honest, I don't have anything so far that particularly disappointed in and therefore anything I want to get rid of to get something else.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    The only guns I have or ever will sell are those that would not hit a barn door or jammers. If the gun would not shoot straight or not feed every round then I would find a new home for them. With that said, If I find a great deal on a gun, and I do mean great, then I might flip that gun for one I want. Otherwise I can say the guns that I have work well for my use and will never leave me because I show them all my love.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Great last couple threads Twangbanger, I enjoy reading other members' take on these topics.................REP'D

I've only sold guns due to caliber consolidation. If it wasn't due to ammo scarcity and rising costs, I don"t think I would've sold any. (well, maybe one) I really liked having multiple calibers, just too much financially for me to bear keeping a good supply of ammo on hand.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I buy and sell constantly. It is how I have raised the level of quality in my safe's and advanced my skill sets.

There are a couple I "Say" are not for sale but if the right deal pops up they will go. I then start on the process of finding the right project to replace it.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    See, I've been in situations in my life where I had to sell guns because I NEEDED the money, rent was due, car payment, poor decision making on my part, the list goes on. Long story short, I got Divorced, lived on my own for a short time, always just barely scraping by, never really knowing where my next meal was coming from (I got seriously screwed over financially by my ex wife) all I really had was a few of my most prized possessions. I lost a lot of guns, guitars, and personal possessions and didn't have the money to replace any of it. During the year and a half I lived on my own, I had to sell most of the few items I got away from my ex wife, and the job I had been working for the past 20 years was going to hell, too. Anyhoo, (here's the long story short part) I met the greatest woman I've ever known, we got married, I got a new and better job than my old one, and 10 years later, here I am, a totally different man than I was back then.

I'm an extremely conservative, practical, to the point kinda guy. I've bought dozens of guns over the last 10 years, but each one was bought for reason, a specific purpose. I'm not a collector, I don't really care to ever even BE a collector, I feel like if I don't have a NEED for a particular item, wether it's a gun, or whatever, I can't justify spending my money on it, likewise, if I DO have a NEED for that particular item, as soon as that money hits the counter, that item is MINE, and I'm never getting rid of it, even if the need for it goes away. I guess it all boils down to, I simply don't want to be in a position EVER again where I'm regretting getting rid of something. Been there, done that, and yeah, I'm probably OCD when it comes to this sort of thing, but living without, and without the means to replace these things, ****ing sucked!

As far as never buying a turd of a gun, I have a few that I wouldn't consider to be great guns, but really, no turds. As I said, I'm extremely conservative when it comes to buying, and I put in a great deal of legwork before any money changes hands.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    See, I've been in situations in my life where I had to sell guns because I NEEDED the money, rent was due, car payment, poor decision making on my part, the list goes on. Long story short, I got Divorced, lived on my own for a short time, always just barely scraping by, never really knowing where my next meal was coming from (I got seriously screwed over financially by my ex wife) all I really had was a few of my most prized possessions. I lost a lot of guns, guitars, and personal possessions and didn't have the money to replace any of it. During the year and a half I lived on my own, I had to sell most of the few items I got away from my ex wife, and the job I had been working for the past 20 years was going to hell, too. Anyhoo, (here's the long story short part) I met the greatest woman I've ever known, we got married, I got a new and better job than my old one, and 10 years later, here I am, a totally different man than I was back then.

I'm an extremely conservative, practical, to the point kinda guy. I've bought dozens of guns over the last 10 years, but each one was bought for reason, a specific purpose. I'm not a collector, I don't really care to ever even BE a collector, I feel like if I don't have a NEED for a particular item, wether it's a gun, or whatever, I can't justify spending my money on it, likewise, if I DO have a NEED for that particular item, as soon as that money hits the counter, that item is MINE, and I'm never getting rid of it, even if the need for it goes away. I guess it all boils down to, I simply don't want to be in a position EVER again where I'm regretting getting rid of something. Been there, done that, and yeah, I'm probably OCD when it comes to this sort of thing, but living without, and without the means to replace these things, ****ing sucked!

Been in the horrible divorce thing and also in the "I have got to sell something to feed my family" thing.

Both sucked horribly but they also showed me that material things are commodity's. Unless you got it from Dad before he passed or something close they are merely pieces to be admired, shot, modified (this is me...:)) and moved along to fuel the sickness.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    As a general rule, I am not a collector. I have sold several guns here but they were sold because I didn't shoot them. I have two handguns with which I have an attachment and won't sell but even those get shot albeit rarely. I went through a period of 10/22 addiction but have moved on from it and sold, or gave to a relative, 8 of them. I currently have 5-6 guns which may be in jeopardy of becoming yours but I haven't decided to "pull the trigger" yet. I have had good luck selling guns on INGO and will probably do so again.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    It's my 401k.
    if I sell a gun it's because I no longer see any potential growth in value or not enough to justify the money tied into it. It's like s stock for me, turn it use the money to put into something different. Then the are the guns i shoot, even after I'm done shooting them I keep them just in case I want that feeling again. The funds I shoot hold a sentiment much stronger than the ones I don't. But then again I shoot alot. Ask my 5 Dillon 550's

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Been in the horrible divorce thing and also in the "I have got to sell something to feed my family" thing.

Both sucked horribly but they also showed me that material things are commodity's. Unless you got it from Dad before he passed or something close they are merely pieces to be admired, shot, modified (this is me...:)) and moved along to fuel the sickness.

Oh I completely understand that, and I'm even pretty well convinced that my particular feelings on the matter are not the norm, I just can't make myself think of it any different. Just thinking about the subject puts me in a frame of mind that has me dredging up all those old memories.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Oh I completely understand that, and I'm even pretty well convinced that my particular feelings on the matter are not the norm, I just can't make myself think of it any different. Just thinking about the subject puts me in a frame of mind that has me dredging up all those old memories.

Oh trust when I say I get it.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I used to be one that never wanted to sell one. I sold one years ago and felt regret for a long time. I have sold 4 or so in the last couple years and am thinking about selling some others. I have several that I won't sell because they came from my dad. Some others that I still really like so wouldn't sell now.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I used to be one that never wanted to sell one. I sold one years ago and felt regret for a long time. I have sold 4 or so in the last couple years and am thinking about selling some others. I have several that I won't sell because they came from my dad. Some others that I still really like so wouldn't sell now.

I am bored. I looked in the safe earlier and decided which ones will be finding new homes and what I would "Like" to replace them with.
    It is a never ending circle.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Okay, now I'd like to explore the other side of the coin, and hear from a different group of people. I've met people who say, "I never sell a gun." As in, period. Never.

Usually older guys who are into "classic" stuff, and frequently folks who usually don't shoot very much. They are collectors, sort of, but rarely go to matches, probably only shoot a couple boxes of ammo a year, and have a large number of guns they've never shot at all. (But surely, everyone must buy a turd once in a while? No?)

I'd like to hear from a variety of people on this, because I'm fascinated by people who always get it right the first time, never make a purchasing mistake, and never have buyer's remorse (or change their mind).

Whazzup with that?

Well, that's not a loaded question... :rolleyes:

I've never sold a gun, and don't intend to.

I have enough guns already that I don't have to go out and buy whatever all the cool guys are currently telling me I have to go out and buy, so I don't have to sell it when the online experts start ragging on it either. I just buy a couple a year, maybe one for my wife or for my kids.

I don't want to be one of the cool kids who are into "trendy" stuff, who just go to the range and blast away. They're not collectors, and don't even appreciate quality manufacturing, but blow through 6 boxes of ammo in 15 minutes and have never owned a gun long enough to take it to the range twice. (But surely, even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while, no?)

I'm glad you asked this question, because I'm fascinated by people who always have the latest thing, never have anything out of date, and can't make up their mind as to what they really like.

Whazzup with that?

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    One of my friends at work is one of those guys. He's not a big collector or really much of a shooter. From what I have seen of his collection, there's nothing that stood out as collectors pieces. He ended up with one of mine that I raffled off. Won't let go of it though after I decided I was sorry I parted with it. He'd rather die of old age with them in his safe than sell one.

Matt

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well, that's not a loaded question... :rolleyes:

I've never sold a gun, and don't intend to.

I have enough guns already that I don't have to go out and buy whatever all the cool guys are currently telling me I have to go out and buy, so I don't have to sell it when the online experts start ragging on it either. I just buy a couple a year, maybe one for my wife or for my kids.

I don't want to be one of the cool kids who are into "trendy" stuff, who just go to the range and blast away. They're not collectors, and don't even appreciate quality manufacturing, but blow through 6 boxes of ammo in 15 minutes and have never owned a gun long enough to take it to the range twice. (But surely, even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while, no?)

I'm glad you asked this question, because I'm fascinated by people who always have the latest thing, never have anything out of date, and can't make up their mind as to what they really like.

Whazzup with that?

Interesting outlook.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I like old guns and usually don't sell them when I get them, my favorites coming from the 1890s to the 1930s. When you acquire them I always wonder about the story they might tell if they could. Guns don't take up much space so they're like a small private museum. Always sad when you see vintage firearms being scrapped by anti gun zealots, sort of like destroying a story.

Top Bottom