• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

protongun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    So the Indy 1500 is next weekend and i have some family from Illinois that is wanting to come and go to the show. Will they be able to purchase handguns and long guns at the show? Will they be able to take them with them or do they have to transfer to illinois FFL?
    thanks for the information ind advance

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Does Illinois let you bring in firearms from out of state, period??

I know standard ATF rules would apply, but I wouldn't be suprised to see Illinois having some other laws of their own.. you might (in some cases) be in the clear to buy here, but maybe not to bring back there..

protongun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Does Illinois let you bring in firearms from out of state, period??

I know standard ATF rules would apply, but I wouldn't be suprised to see Illinois having some other laws of their own.. you might (in some cases) be in the clear to buy here, but maybe not to bring back there..

Yes, I know for longuns if goes like this if you are an illinois resident and buy the gun in Indiana from a gun dealer: You buy the gun in indiana and then have to wait 24 hrs wait period before you can pick it up and bring it to Illinois. For Handguns, if you buy in Indiana as an Illinois resident, you have to have the Indiana FFL send the handgun to an FFL in Illinois and then pick it up there. Yes you can own a Handgun in Illinois, but you certainly cant carry it around! I think there is a 48-36 hr wait too when you purchase a handgun in illinois.

i know that gunshows are a little different and thought that they might be able to purchase in indiana at gunshow and then just have their firearm then and there on the spot like everyone else.

iam1096

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    Ohio
    Long guns are to have a 24 hour wait but no one follows that because it is a state law and you are in Indiana. Handguns under Federal law can not be transfered between states at all. Must go to a FFL dealer, then they will have a 48 hour wait after the FOID card is called into the state. FOID (firearms, owners, identification). If your live in Illinois you must have a FOID card to own, purchase firearms or ammo. Even LEO's must have a FOID card to purchase personal firearms in hellinois.
    Lived there for 35 years and was a Pd Officer and know the law well.

Last edited:

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I was stationed in Great Mistakes and to buy at the PX/Sporting Goods store on base you had to have a FOID.Total ******** but that was the way it was.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Long guns are to have a 24 hour wait but no one follows that because it is a state law and you are in Indiana. Handguns under Federal law can not be transfered between states at all. Must go to a FFL dealer, then they will have a 48 hour wait after the FOID card is called into the state. FOID (firearms, owners, identification). If your live in Illinois you must have a FOID card to own, purchase firearms or ammo. Even LEO's must have a FOID card to purchase personal firearms in hellinois.
    Lived there for 35 years and was a Pd Officer and know the law well.

If bought from an Indiana FFL in Indiana, they most certainly do have to wait the 24 hours before transferring a long gun. If they do not they are in violation of the law and right now the ATF is hot and heavy on gun shows. I know I wouldn't be messing around with the laws right now.
    Handguns have to be shipped to an Illinois FFL if bought in Indiana.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    It is my understanding that Illinois does allow OC in unincorporated areas, but only while on foot (i.e. not in any vehicle). Illinois law (720 ILCS 5/24-1) states:

(4) Carries or possesses in any vehicle or concealed
    on or about his person except when on his land or in his own abode or fixed place of business any pistol, revolver, stun gun or taser or other firearm, except that this subsection (a) (4) does not apply to or affect transportation of weapons that meet one of the following conditions:
    (i) are broken down in a non‑functioning state;
    or
    (ii) are not immediately accessible; or
    (iii) are unloaded and enclosed in a case,
    firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container by a person who has been issued a currently valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card; or

(10) Carries or possesses on or about his person,
    upon any public street, alley, or other public lands within the corporate limits of a city, village or incorporated town, except when an invitee thereon or therein, for the purpose of the display of such weapon or the lawful commerce in weapons, or except when on his land or in his own abode or fixed place of business, any pistol, revolver, stun gun or taser or other firearm, except that this subsection (a) (10) does not apply to or affect transportation of weapons that meet one of the following conditions:
    (i) are broken down in a non‑functioning state;
    or
    (ii) are not immediately accessible; or
    (iii) are unloaded and enclosed in a case,
    firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container by a person who has been issued a currently valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card.

Another interesting (& hopefully helpful) link for Illinois residents:

Carry Legal in Illinois

I know the law Illinois is BS but at least it's not a total ban on carry.

duger

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Greenwood
    will be passing tru ill. in motorhome does that mean everything tore down and pakaged up. or could they be in closet or drawer in back.

splunkinoob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    will be passing tru ill. in motorhome does that mean everything tore down and pakaged up. or could they be in closet or drawer in back.

I grew up in Illinois, firearms are supposed to be transported out of reach and unloaded. Technically you can have loaded magazines in the case but if you get pulled over it's going to be at the officers discretion on if he wants to site / hassle you for it. You can not carry concealed or open in Illinois. To purchase ammo or firearms you needs FOID card and there is a waiting period on gun purchases. If you get into the Cook County / Chicago area there are knife length and magazine capacity restrictions that are different from the rest of the state.

iam1096

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    Ohio
    I grew up in Illinois, firearms are supposed to be transported out of reach and unloaded. Technically you can have loaded magazines in the case but if you get pulled over it's going to be at the officers discretion on if he wants to site / hassle you for it. You can not carry concealed or open in Illinois. To purchase ammo or firearms you needs FOID card and there is a waiting period on gun purchases. If you get into the Cook County / Chicago area there are knife length and magazine capacity restrictions that are different from the rest of the state.

If in Chicago area never put a load magazine with gun and in Chicago never enter the city with a firearm. Chicago has it's own no gun law. Northern Illinois is very anti gun. Southern is not as bad. I worked as a LEO and wasn't allowed to carry in Chicago unless I was on duty.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom