• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bbarker

Marksman
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    SE Indiana
    I want to get a dehumidifier to put in my cannon safe. I was looking at the plug in Browning but I have heard some people say if they get too close to your guns the they can discolor the wood or bluing. If I do not go with an electric one, what would be my best option?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    You can just use a pack of silica gel like that.
    After it depends on the size of your safe, you may need 2 or 3 if its a large one.

pelican-silica-gel-1500d-2356.jpg

After a week weeks or month a label on it turns pink and you can just heat it in your oven and you are good to go again.

I just use those little packs that you get with new shoes or some type of food.
    I put one in each box of ammo I have and a couple next to the guns.
    It's the cheapest solution (as its free) and works great.

car-parts-diy-installation-projector-headlights-corners-tail-lights-silicone-apply-to-headlights-silica-gel-everything-car-parts-ecp.jpg

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    So, if I get an electronic dehumidifier that is able to dial it in, what is the ideal humidity range for gun storage in a safe? Or is it more about not letting it fluctuate a lot?

KingWeb50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    So, if I get an electronic dehumidifier that is able to dial it in, what is the ideal humidity range for gun storage in a safe? Or is it more about not letting it fluctuate a lot?

I think mine is set to 50% relative humidity but I will have to check to make sure

rtm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I use the remington model, it seems to do a good job. I have to recharge it every couple of months. It is in my cannon safe.

rangerobber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    New Carlisle
    Proper Humidity

35%-50% is the proper humidity for wood and metal conservation. The only time my safe gets below 35% is in the late winter months and I just have to remove one of the canisters and replace it in the spring.

Gdogs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2010
    I use a Goldenrod in my safe. I might look into this Hydrosorbent. I've used silica packs before when I came across them but these replaceable units are interesting.
    @ISHOOTHST'S, any idea what the humidity is when using Damprid? Seems like at $2, the price is right. My Goldenrod costs me less than $5 a month in electricity to run though so that's acceptable. I forget the humidity %age but it was about 60% I think.

Top Bottom