• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

b0r0b

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    Way to go Ohio Couple! There's no maturity in beating a woman! Glad they had guns (and were able to protect the woman) and it's interesting to hear that the guy ran...sounds like a wuss to me...strong enough to beat on a woman, but not strong enough to stand up the responsibility (repercussions) that went with it! Glad to hear then got him!

We had a DV situation in Fort Wayne, a few years ago, where a teacher tried to intervene (it occurred late at night on the north side of town). The teacher was unarmed and got in the middle of it and ended up getting shot and killed by the male (I believe the woman got shot as well!) Never underrate a DV situation. I know several LEO's who will not get in the middle of one until their back up has arrived. It's just too dangerous!

Under normal circumstances I would agree with this 110%, however, growing up surrounded by nothing but disrespect and abuse to women and being too small to do anything about it has forced me to be an advocate for abused women.

I don't patrol the streets foaming at the mouth like "Let me see someone do something to a woman", but if ANY man touches a woman in a manner that is visibly uncomfortable, I WILL intervene. I personally don't care who's at fault, IIIIIIIII am a man, and would never lay a single finger on a woman, no matter the circumstance.

When you beat a woman at your house, you ask for the police and it's a personal situation. It's otherwise "nobody's" business but your own. When you beat a woman in public, particularly in front of me, you make it my business. This is a disorder that medicine can't fix..something just POPS in my head and I replay my past in my head in a flash.

Very very soft spot. Something in me wants to get credit back for all the times I was helpless when this nonsense was happening..not really explainable but so be it.

hi-pointfan1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    Gary, IN
    Negative, this could have easily turned into a mess. Domestic Violence calls are some of the most dangerous calls officers are dispatched to, because there are is so much passion and emotions involved. Regardless of what the crime may be please, everyone here, if you CC don't get involved unless someone is in immediate danger of dying. If becoming a hero is one of your reasons for CC, then please follow your dreams and become a law enforcement officer, firefighter or paramedic. Period!

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I would not have drawn... that was just plain stupid. They are lucky they weren't tossed in jail or had weapons their weapons stolen by the local PD. That is OHIO after all- the plumber's crack of the union.

They could have intervened with verbal force, leaving the weapons for a backup measure.

dingy144

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Gun Carrying Couple

I beg you pardon there was every right to draw a weapon if you are in fear of someone's life and there is no WAY! verbal intervention would of stopped this guy because i was the guy who chased him down and if it wasnt for those guns and the CCW carrying couple then that woman would of been in alot more trouble if we just tried to use our voices rather than our GOD given right to Bear arms if in fear of anothers life. and plus my brother in law was ex- law enforcement so he knows the exact situation as when to draw a weapon so unless you were there and knew the complete details then you can just be happy that no body got hurt as opposed to dogging people who share the same enthusiasam about guns as you do!

http://www.woio.com/global/video/po...pFormat=flv&clipId1=5135649&at1=News&h1=Crime

MEDINA COUNTY, OH (WOIO) - Crime fighting is a family affair in Medina County.

Police say a man, his wife, and her brother rescued a woman who was allegedly being attacked by her boyfriend.

The guy taking the swings at his girl apparently didn't know he was doing it in front of a former police officer, a pistol packing mom and a young man willing and able to run him down.

Heather Evans was packing heat when she and her brother Kyle Yates saw a woman being beaten in a Wadsworth McDonald's parking lot.

"I rolled my window down. I could her screaming, help me, somebody help me," Heather Evans.

That's when she and her husband William, also packing heat both went for their weapons.
    "My husband drew his weapon. By that time I had mine drawn."

Her brother Kyle Yates called 911 and chased after him.
    They eventually caught him and tasered him right in the middle of the street.

Thanks to them, 18 year old Anthony Konopinski is now facing domestic violence, child endangering, resisting arrest and drug charges.

The grateful victim said she'd tried to scream for help in the Walmart parking lot where the fight started, but nobody would intervene.

shootinghoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2010
    Indy
    Dingy144 - I applaud you for getting involved. A high percentage of witnesses would act like they witnessed nothing and keep on moving, but you and your family members took decisive action. Obviously the right decisions were made because the bad guy is in the klink, the girl not severely injured, and your sister & brother-in-law still have their pistols. Coulda, shoulda, woulda arguments don't make a lot of sense when everything turns out the way it should and in favor of the good guys.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Negative, this could have easily turned into a mess. Domestic Violence calls are some of the most dangerous calls officers are dispatched to, because there are is so much passion and emotions involved. Regardless of what the crime may be please, everyone here, if you CC don't get involved unless someone is in immediate danger of dying. If becoming a hero is one of your reasons for CC, then please follow your dreams and become a law enforcement officer, firefighter or paramedic. Period!

So are you saying that if someone is being beaten to death, then nobody should intervene? I don't know about you, but if I saw someone getting their arse handed to them, especially a female, I couldn't stand idly by and be a "good witness". I have no delusions of grandeur either, nor any desire to be a hero, but sometimes you are placed into unfortunate situations and my conscience wouldn't allow me to continue to let it happen.

IndyTech

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I would not have drawn... that was just plain stupid. They are lucky they weren't tossed in jail or had weapons their weapons stolen by the local PD. That is OHIO after all- the plumber's crack of the union.

They could have intervened with verbal force, leaving the weapons for a backup measure.

People like you two are why criminals feel that our society is nothing but prey and then they feel justified in crying foul when someone forcibly ends their criminal activities.

I'm sorry but all it takes for tyranny to reign is for good men to stand by and do nothing while evil is being done. This is not my quote and I don't know who originated it but its inherent truth is undeniable.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    People like you two are why criminals feel that our society is nothing but prey and then they feel justified in crying foul when someone forcibly ends their criminal activities.

I'm sorry but all it takes for tyranny to reign is for good men to stand by and do nothing while evil is being done. This is not my quote and I don't know who originated it but its inherent truth is undeniable.

I have been around and around on this topic with smarter kids than you.

First, internet quarterbacks and feel-good platitudes do not change the reality of the society we live in- that is one of extreme anti-gun animosity. Your gun is your freaking LAST RESORT.

Second, having a little thought before you go straight for the DEADLY WEAPON only takes a thimble-full of sense. There is no way in hell that you can just swing by in your car and know what the heck is really going on in the situation, and whether or not it merits your DEADLY WEAPON being whipped out.

Third, you don't know who you are talking to, so don't go assuming because I advocate a little forethought and common sense that I ain't one to tangle when the time comes. You'd be dead wrong.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!

First, internet quarterbacks and feel-good platitudes do not change the reality of the society we live in- that is one of extreme anti-gun animosity. Your gun is your freaking LAST RESORT.

Second, having a little thought before you go straight for the DEADLY WEAPON only takes a thimble-full of sense. There is no way in hell that you can just swing by in your car and know what the heck is really going on in the situation, and whether or not it merits your DEADLY WEAPON being whipped out.

Third, you don't know who you are talking to, so don't go assuming because I advocate a little forethought and common sense that I ain't one to tangle when the time comes. You'd be dead wrong.

Given how volatile things can be I can see a scenario where you verbally interject and get beaten to the draw.
    If I see someone being beaten and I fear for their life, my gun is coming out.
    I'm of no use to anyone if I'm lying on the sidewalk in a pool of my own blood.

Would you respond the same way during an armed robbery?
    "Hey mister I think you should stop" No way would you do that. :twocents:

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Given how volatile things can be I can see a scenario where you verbally interject and get beaten to the draw.
    If I see someone being beaten and I fear for their life, my gun is coming out.
    I'm of no use to anyone if I'm lying on the sidewalk in a pool of my own blood.

Would you respond the same way during an armed robbery?
    "Hey mister I think you should stop" No way would you do that. :twocents:

An armed robbery has already escalated to the point where a firearm has been drawn.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    IC 35-41-3-2
    Use of force to protect person or property
    Sec. 2. (a) A person is justified in using reasonable force against another person to protect the person or a third person from what the person reasonably believes to be the imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person:
    (1) is justified in using deadly force; and
    (2) does not have a duty to retreat;
    if the person reasonably believes that that force is necessary to prevent serious bodily injury to the person or a third person or the commission of a forcible felony. No person in this state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting the person or a third person by reasonable means necessary.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    IC 35-41-3-2
    Use of force to protect person or property
    Sec. 2. (a) A person is justified in using reasonable force against another person to protect the person or a third person from what the person reasonably believes to be the imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person:
    (1) is justified in using deadly force; and
    (2) does not have a duty to retreat;
    if the person reasonably believes that that force is necessary to prevent serious bodily injury to the person or a third person or the commission of a forcible felony. No person in this state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting the person or a third person by reasonable means necessary.

Pay close attention to the word "Reasonable" sprinkled thru that statute. The DA sure will.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Pay close attention to the word "Reasonable" sprinkled thru that statute. The DA sure will.

if the person reasonably believes

This is much better than other states where is says something like "If a reasonable person believes"

Words do indeed have meaning.

In the first case a jury must decide if you reasonably believed.
    2nd case they decide what a reasonable person would have believed.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Glad to hear someone stepped in rather than just trying to be a good witness. Couples are allowed to yell and scream but as soon as the argument gets physical, I dont mind stepping in to help. My father taught me better than to stand there and let a lady take just a mild beating and then relate it to police.

I could'nt agree more. argue all you want, but if it gets physical im stepping in. sure i understand im putting myself in danger by doing it, but its just the right thing to do in my opinion. spousal abuse is not acceptible at all, for either party. no man should take it, and especialy not any woman. I will lay a dude out cold if i see it. been there and done (stoped it) it and got the t-shirt. so I already know how i would react.
    It has nothing to do with trying to be a bad ass, it is about doing the right thing.
    No i wouldnt pull out my gun, just for the record unless it came down to life or death. I would just open a good ole southern boy can of whoop ass to stop the beating. I will let the police come and hold the attacker acountible and the courts can punish. My actions wouldnt be out of anger or a desire to teach the guy a lesson. now if the woman was doing the beating then I dont see any problem in restraining her (without harming). now if a woman wants to fight like a man (yes there are a lot of tough women) then if no other way could be avoided and she was laying it down then sure, punch the girl to get away if you have too.

IndyTech

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

So? Did they agree with your philosophy of intervening in a violent situation with your firearm holstered? Criminals rely on people to not be armed or if they are armed, they rely on people to not be ready to deploy and use their weapons.

I don't think there is a strong anti-gun animosity amongst criminals who are beating the snot out of someone. Best to deal with dangerous situations as dangerous situations and use your best judgment not rush in unarmed or unprepared to deal with a violent criminal.

Newsflash, hands, ink pens, knives, hammers, baseball bats, ropes, boots can all be deadly weapons. It only takes a thimble full of experience to know that you treat all violent situations with caution and make 100% sure you're as prepared as you can be to deal with it.

Well, you're right, I don't know who I'm typing to but I believe anyone who says you enter a violent situation without ensuring their own safety doesn't know as much as they think they do.

Oh and thanks for the negative rep. Back at ya.

IndyTech

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    No i wouldnt pull out my gun, just for the record unless it came down to life or death. I would just open a good ole southern boy can of whoop ass to stop the beating. I will let the police come and hold the attacker acountible and the courts can punish. My actions wouldnt be out of anger or a desire to teach the guy a lesson. now if the woman was doing the beating then I dont see any problem in restraining her (without harming). now if a woman wants to fight like a man (yes there are a lot of tough women) then if no other way could be avoided and she was laying it down then sure, punch the girl to get away if you have too.

First let me say I admire your willingness to step in but what if the guy turns as you grab him , grabs your arm and pulls a pistol from his belt and drops 3 in your gut?

IndyTech

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    An armed robbery has already escalated to the point where a firearm has been drawn.

Hey, Mr. I'mSoSmart, you do realize that "Armed" doesn't mean by gunpoint right?

The perp could be using a sap, asp, brass knuckles or a good ole can of OC.

Gee.. at what point to you think it's OK to ready your firearm? To what level of violence does a criminal need to escalate to before you're willing to treat him as a threat?

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Hey, Mr. I'mSoSmart, you do realize that "Armed" doesn't mean by gunpoint right?

The perp could be using a sap, asp, brass knuckles or a good ole can of OC.

Gee.. at what point to you think it's OK to ready your firearm? To what level of violence does a criminal need to escalate to before you're willing to treat him as a threat?

The day you can give me a reason to not advocate extreme caution and responsibility while going armed will be the day you and I agree.

Till then, I will go out of my way to avoid gunplay.

You can always and easily escalate. Once the whoop-ass is out of the can, it doesn't go back in.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom