• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OneWatt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Has anyone ever bought a gun From a Gun Auction? If so what did you like or dislike about it.
    OneWatt

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I have attended a few gun auctions. I never purchased anything. To me it seems that everything went for close to retail or more on some items. It was a lot of fun even though I never bid on anything.

HereNthere

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have attended a few gun auctions. I never purchased anything. To me it seems that everything went for close to retail or more on some items. It was a lot of fun even though I never bid on anything.

I've been to a few gun auctions, and this has pretty much been my experience as well. It's fun to go and look at all of the guns, but I haven't see any bargains. If anything, it seemed to me that it was much more likely for a gun to end up going for more than it's retail value than less.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    You have to be really careful if you bid that you consider there usually is a buyer's premium tacked on to the price, plus they usually have a dealer on hand to transfer that might not be as cheap as your dealer.

The buyer's premium more than anything is what traps people. They figure they got a reasonable deal, and then find 15% tacked on to the supposedly good deal, now making it more expensive than going to Bradis or Plainfield.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    I have bought a few guns at auction! on line auctions I like the best, Live gun auctions most generally the price gets driven up beyond what you could by a new one for!! The thing is do your homework! know what the gun your bidding is worth!

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    I have bought many guns at auction .

The thing with auctions is KNOWLEDGE
    Know what they have if possible before hand , study any that you are intrested in , set your highest price before you go in .

I have seen $100 guns go for $500 and I have seen $500 guns go for $100

dagibson1507

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    Muncie, IN
    Ive gotten burnt with the transfers. Nothing was posted about being charged for a transfer and this auction was put on by a local gun store. Needless to say they got me for an extra 50$, still good deals though.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I've generally found that gun auctions attract enough gun people that it's hard to get a bargain.

However, when there is a large auction with a few guns among everything else, it's possible to get some good deals at auction.

As far as gun auction websites, you can occasionally get a decent deal if you forget to figure in a ridiculously high shipping charge and the transfer fee. Usually, though, you can get nearly the same deal at Gander Mtn. as you can on Gun Broker.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    I bought a S&W 19 at one about a year ago. I got it for a good price, not knowing about the buyers fee and that turned it into a fair deal. Saw most other items go for more than what I thought they were worth.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    There's an auction place out west of INDY that has gun auctions quite a bit, and from the feedback I get from friends, they'll have a ton of guns for sale all day long, and they'll usually sell well over retail. Pretty stupid if you ask me.

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    I've bought plenty at auctions. You just have to learn what you are doing. Inspect the guns before hand, read the rules and pay attention to what the auctioneer says. If in doubt ask questions. Auctions can also be a great source of entertainment. You will be amazed at what people pay for some items.

xjohndeerex

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2010
    Morgan County
    The auction you are talking about is probably at Freijes, which is off of US 40 west of Plainfield. I've been to a few of their auctions, its a good way to kill a day (lots of interesting people to talk to and guns to look at), but your chances of getting a good deal are slim to none. Too many people are there that have done their homework and they rarely let one slip by for less than it goes at retail. I've bought a few guns from their auctions and they never charged me for a transfer fee and there isn't a buyers premium.

BigJ3780

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    Online or place of business?

I recently just purchased a gun from an online auction. Really simple, found a local FFL, sent the money, received shipping info and now awaiting, FFL contact. Affordable shipping.

I have learned from my research that buying from California insures a safer transaction because all sales of firearms must be licensed. Anyways the item should be here sometime next week. This is my first weapon I have purchased so anxious to get to the range!

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    I go to gun auctions at least 4 times a year. In fact, I went to a gun auction today.

I get good deals on a regular basis. The trick is to not get too attached to a gun, have a number and stick to it. KNOW YOUR STUFF. I knew EXACTLY what the gun sells for days before the auction.

Also, indykid is correct - know the premiums and taxes. I always figure what I want to pay for a gun, then figure what the bid needs to be BEFORE taxes/fees so I know exactly what I'm getting into.

Today, got a nice 3rd Gen Glock 22 with Trijicon night sights for $350 out the door. Saw a Norinco Mac-90 AK47 got for ~$400 out the door. Stupid cheap? No..but still a pretty good price.

At the last auction, I got a Smith&Wesson M&P40C for $386 out the door. Brand New, unfired.

There are deals to be had, but you've got to know your stuff.

paintball_addiction

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    184   0   0
    Sep 9, 2009
    SW of Indy
    I go to gun auctions at least 4 times a year. In fact, I went to a gun auction today.

I get good deals on a regular basis. The trick is to not get too attached to a gun, have a number and stick to it. KNOW YOUR STUFF. I knew EXACTLY what the gun sells for days before the auction.

Also, indykid is correct - know the premiums and taxes. I always figure what I want to pay for a gun, then figure what the bid needs to be BEFORE taxes/fees so I know exactly what I'm getting into.

Today, got a nice 3rd Gen Glock 22 with Trijicon night sights for $350 out the door. Saw a Norinco Mac-90 AK47 got for ~$400 out the door. Stupid cheap? No..but still a pretty good price.

At the last auction, I got a Smith&Wesson M&P40C for $386 out the door. Brand New, unfired.

There are deals to be had, but you've got to know your stuff.

This ^

It's not rocket science to get a deal at an auction. Just do your homework before you go and you will be fine. Almost all of these big gun auctions are put online at Proxibid ahead of time. This allows you to view the guns and do more research before the auction. I was at the last auction with 38special and got a brand new M&P Pro 9mm for $471 out the door. And yes, there are a LOT of people who pay way too much.

driver4562

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    West side of Indy
    heard mixed things. First most don't allow you to function test anything. and you can"t even pick them up to inspect them for scratches. I have always avoided them for that reason. I like to know my guns will work and not take chances...

That being said I would not steer you away from a really good deal if you don't mind taking a risk...

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    You have to be really careful if you bid that you consider there usually is a buyer's premium tacked on to the price, plus they usually have a dealer on hand to transfer that might not be as cheap as your dealer.

The buyer's premium more than anything is what traps people. They figure they got a reasonable deal, and then find 15% tacked on to the supposedly good deal, now making it more expensive than going to Bradis or Plainfield.

I'll NEVER buy ANYTHING at any auction where there is a buyer's premium.

I buy guns once in a while at auctions.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    There is a auction place in Southport that I am very leery of...to the point I will not attend their auctions anymore. I caught them red handed on a couple of occasions using shill bidders in the crowd to work prices up.

I saw a New England Arms single shot 12g shotgun, that was beat all to hell, sell for $140 that night...the poor SOB that bought it had no idea what he was getting but he let them run him up.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    There are some good deals and some not. All a matter of knowing what you want and how much you want to pay. All the auctions I have been to over the years allowed at least some examination if you asked and in some instances dissasembly.:)

Top Bottom