• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    So seeing some of these threads I figured a .22 1911 will fill my needs for a bit, So now the question. A nice used Kimber for 499, a Sig for just under 325 or try and hunt down a GSG. I have heard that the Sig and GSG are the same gun. Thoughts?

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    I'd highly recommend the GSG, but I have no experience with the others to compare it to.:dunno:

818b0be7.jpg

Family018.jpg

ballisticmike

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    i alway liked the looks of kimbers, but all the reading i did it seems they have alot of grief with external extracter design. Scared me away

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    I have found a GSG as well they are the same price as the Sig, locally, I found them cheaper but they are in KY so that is a no go. I am still torn I have always wanted a Kimber 1911 but I don't know if I want a Kimber 22

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The GSG and the SIG are essentially the same gun; IIRC the grips and slide markings are the only real differences. Buy whichever you like best. The Kimber blows them both away in terms of quality, but for the price difference it certainly should.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    The GSG and the SIG are essentially the same gun; IIRC the grips and slide markings are the only real differences. Buy whichever you like best. The Kimber blows them both away in terms of quality, but for the price difference it certainly should.

Jahred at 21st Century has shot the snot out of his GSG. You might ask him how he likes it.. He's got me wanting one.:D

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN

If that is the case, id buy the sig, well because then I would own a sig :)

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    I am actually leaning toward the Kimber, Because I don't own one yet. Tomorrow I will go and see all of them and see which is best for me. The only thing I don't like about the Kimber is the slide does not lock back at empty.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I've seen the GSGs in a few shops locally (of course it looks like you are down south). Even saw one for sale in the range shop at Atterbury today, with the fake can on it. The reviews on INGO of the GSG have been excellent and the price is right.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    If I was not willing to build a 1911 platform in 22 I would buy the GSG. However I would much rather buy a Marvel upper Marvel Precision 1911 .22 rimfire Conversions and build up the lower myself. The Marvel Unit 1 conversion is guaranteed to shoot into an inch at 50 yards (not feet) from a Ransom Rest meaning if you do your part the gun will do it's. These are basically the old Kart conversions and use a fixed barrel for accuracy.

Buy the conversion now and use it on any 1911 while you save up and build a dedicated lower.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    The marvel upper is $100 more than the complete GSG and for a plinker/ practice gun I do not need somethig anywhere near that price range. I also do not own a 1911 yet. I am waiting for a Ed Brown or Les Baer.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    Thanks for the insight guys, I am now the proud owner of a Brown GSG. The feel of the Kimber along with the extra cost could not sway me with it's name. I am looking forward to taking the little guy out to the range and blowing through some rounds. My only thought so far is the Mags are EXPENSIVE, but for the price of the gun it was worth it.

Shout out to Right to Bear Arms here in S. Indiana there price was reasonable, and with the transfer fee from Wittaker's they ended up being slightly cheaper and I walked out of there with the gun.

jdg0724

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have a GSG 1911 and am very pleased with it. It is very accurate and has a good feel to it. Finding spare mags is hard at this point, but it is a great gun. It feels good in the hands and fires most .22 ammo without any problems. You can buy an adapter so that you can mount a suppressor on it for around $30.00. They are hard to find. The only thing that I am going to change on mine is to put a flat mainspring housing on it so it will have the same feel as my Springfield Operater. I would reccommend them to people looking for a quality 1911 in .22 cal. As far as being the same as the Sig; I have heard the same thing, but Im not positive that they are the same.

ballisticmike

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    kimbers are beautiful guns, but have they nailed down the extracter reliability issue? i was really wanting to buy one 2 yrs ago, almost did. But after reading forums all over the place a recurring theme consistantly- extracter issues. I cant live with that.

Top Bottom