• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Well I've got a GSD pup. He is just shy of 4 months, DOB 21June2010. His right ear has been up for about 3 weeks now, however it seems his left ear just won't come up. Both ears were up around 10 weeks, the right ear came up at 13 weeks, but the left one is still down. Is it too soon to tape his left ear? Thanks.

HobbyGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Newburgh
    I have a Black GSD. Most of the time her ears are down. She almost looks like a lab. However, when something happens that is out of the norm.....those ears shoot straight up. Me thinks she's a bit lazy. hehe

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I have a Black GSD. Most of the time her ears are down. She almost looks like a lab. However, when something happens that is out of the norm.....those ears shoot straight up. Me thinks she's a bit lazy. hehe

How old is she? Once my GSD's ears popped up(~3-4 months) they stayed up and the only time they are down is if he thinks he's in trouble.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Sounds about teething age. It's common for their ears to drop during this period. They will most likely pop back up if the sire and dam have strong ears.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    What does it mean if a GSD's ears never stand up? Is that a genetic defect or lax regulations in the breed standard?

Or does it just happen from time to time? I've personally never seen it on a full grown GSD.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    My GSD is 5 months and some change. When we brought him home at around 2.5 months old his right ear had the forward drop. About the time that ear started standing up, his left ear did this weird inward cant so that it was pointing towards the right ear. Another couple of weeks and both ears are standing up straight.

I understand that breeding and showing standards dictate straight, upright ears. And I don't have a problem with people who choose dogs based on those criteria. Kinda like how quarter horses aren't supposed to have any white markings. Is it any less of a capable horse if there's a patch of non-colored fur? :dunno: To my knowledge, floppy ears haven't impeded the capabilities of any GSD. (And I kinda like the dopey look.)

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    My GSD is 5 months and some change. When we brought him home at around 2.5 months old his right ear had the forward drop. About the time that ear started standing up, his left ear did this weird inward cant so that it was pointing towards the right ear. Another couple of weeks and both ears are standing up straight.

I understand that breeding and showing standards dictate straight, upright ears. And I don't have a problem with people who choose dogs based on those criteria. Kinda like how quarter horses aren't supposed to have any white markings. Is it any less of a capable horse if there's a patch of non-colored fur? :dunno: To my knowledge, floppy ears haven't impeded the capabilities of any GSD. (And I kinda like the dopey look.)

I completely agree that the dog isn't going to be any less capable with floppy ears, I was just curious.

christman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Terra Haute
    Uggh.. Please, please don't tape or try any other stupid home remedy recommendations on the web.

GSD's can pop their ears anywhere from 10 weeks old all the way to 7 months. It is a genetic DEFECT of the breed if they do not stand after that with one exception...And that is if the pup has had damage to its ear cartilage and muscle tissue at some point. (Sometimes due to a litter fight or getting their heads stuck for an extended period of time in something like a jar or fence rail when the ear was still growing.)

If however, the pup was not involved in something that physically damaged his ear, than it has a trait in the GSD world as "weak ears." This is is a disqualifying trait in nearly all show rings. It is thought to have leaked into the breed due to lax regulations through inbreeding in the America's compared to those of European lineage.

If your pup goes past 7-8 months and it doesn't pop its ears, it really means little unless your bought it for competition. Just love it for the dog it is. Please don't tape the ears or do other things to the pup to fix the problem as it will only cause discomfort to the dog. I wouldn't worry about its ears right now. Still plenty of time to pop. One last thing...If it doesn't pop its ears before 7-8 months, please do not breed it out and continue the genetic problem.

I have been showing and breeding GSD's for years. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to pm me.

Oh and 88GT, the floppy ears is considered a genetic defect in the breed because it can lead to numerous GSD inner ear infections as the dog grows mature (5-10 years of age) Doesn't always in all weak eared GSD's, but it can. This is because the breed is not genetically equipped like some other floppy ear dogs to handle trapped liquid and other foreign bodies in the ear, which a floppy ear can harbor better and longer.

(Shameless plug: We have two female GSD's left from our August litter if anyone is considering a new pup!)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom