• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Please reply by conversation.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Another oddball thing to look out for is whether the 1/8" thick aluminum slats are in correctly. Some of the 13 I brought to Terre Haute were in upside-down or turned front-to-back. Easily remedied by removing and replacing.

I think I've mastered the "quick" disconnect shoulder straps. I had thought that the pivotting piece was just a simple piece of plastic. Turns out it's actually L-shaped, so don't try to pry it open too far, or you'll break off the short side of that L. If that happens, though, it's far from tragic. The part you do not want breaking is the long side of the L and the buckle it's attached to. When the tongue is inserted into the buckle, the tip of the tongue presses on the short side of the L, even as the long side of the L is trying to latch onto the back of the tongue. If this buckle is too tight, it can be all but impossible to latch it. If it is too loose, for example, if the short side of the L is broken off, then when tension is removed from the shoulder strap, the latch could open up, even with the small strap snapped down. When the buckle is just right, you simply have to press the tongue firmly into the buckle while applying pressure to close the latch.

The "wiggle" trick is that if you're having trouble latching it, take the end of the shoulder padding in one hand, with the thumb resting on the latch. Insert the tongue into the buckle and then press firmly on the end of the tongue with the palm of the other hand. The "wiggle" is from side to side, not up and down, while pressing firmly on the latch. Only the tightest of buckles will not succumb to this technique. It may be that the end of the tongue is too sharp for the palm of the hand to apply sufficient pressure to close the latch. Perhaps use of a glove to spread out the force on your palm or a hard surface will be required to generate sufficient force to close a stubborn "quick" disconnect shoulder strap buckle.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Dear Penthouse....
    Insert the tongue ... and then press firmly on the end of the tongue with the palm of the other hand. The "wiggle" is from side to side, not up and down, while pressing firmly... Only the tightest ... will not succumb to this technique. It may be that the end of the tongue is too sharp for the palm of the hand to apply sufficient pressure to close ....

:D :rockwoot::patriot:

Edit - it doesn't have to make sense. :)

Last edited:

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    New open pickup time added below.

EDIT TO ADD: Open pickup at my home is this Sun. 12-30-12 from 10AM to 2 PM. Payment ftf, or packs that have already been paid for are the only ones that leave the property. If you don't already have my address, PM me. I will not answer phone calls but if you txt me I can get you directions also. Txt "GB pu, need directions, INGO (insert INGO name here)" to tree juan seven ate for seven, juan fife tree nine. (Take that Google robots)

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    New open pickup time added below.

EDIT TO ADD: Open pickup at my home is this Sun. 12-30-12 from 10AM to . Payment ftf, or packs that have already been paid for are the only ones that leave the property. If you don't already have my address, PM me. I will not answer phone calls but if you txt me I can get you directions also. Txt "GB pu, need directions, INGO (insert INGO name here)" to tree juan seven ate for seven, juan fife tree nine. (Take that Google robots)

Do you have some sort of script on that number to auto-reply that is watching for that text string?

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Sorry, just got back in town late last night, when is the next open pickup?

Also, I sent payment for +3 assault packs and didn't see that updated in the OP. Sorry for confusion.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Sorry, just got back in town late last night, when is the next open pickup?

Also, I sent payment for +3 assault packs and didn't see that updated in the OP. Sorry for confusion.
    Sory about that. I updated it in my main spreadsheet but not on the OP. I'll correct it. both payments have been received.

I'll post up more open pickup times when I know I have time available.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Hope you got rid of a bunch of that stuff today, SDH! Very nice packs that should come in perfect as a car bag and emergency-leave-the-house-bag. I wish I had brought extra money with me so I could have gotten one of the poncho liners. Maybe I can stop by at the next pickup time?

I tried to go through the main pack and assault pack pretty well, but it seems that my assault pack is missing on of the female ends of one of the clicky connectors (uhh... what are those called?). Anyone know what those are called and/or where I can get just one? Or maybe a half dozen or so to have extras?

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Hope you got rid of a bunch of that stuff today, SDH! Very nice packs that should come in perfect as a car bag and emergency-leave-the-house-bag. I wish I had brought extra money with me so I could have gotten one of the poncho liners. Maybe I can stop by at the next pickup time?

I tried to go through the main pack and assault pack pretty well, but it seems that my assault pack is missing on of the female ends of one of the clicky connectors (uhh... what are those called?). Anyone know what those are called and/or where I can get just one? Or maybe a half dozen or so to have extras?

These may help some people here:
    New MARPAT ILBE Digital Backpack 16 Piece Buckle Set Coyote Tan Brown Repair Kit | eBay

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Picked up mine today. Nice piece of kit. Got the ILBE, an assault pack, an hydration pouch (requires the long neck Camel Beast Long-Neck Water Beast, someone can correct me on the right size), a mag pouch, a couple of water bottles, a poncho liner blanket, and a Polartec U.S.G.I. black fleece bib overalls. Nice and you can't beat the price. I think I paid almost the same for just an Army Ruck.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN

Yep, that would do it. Gets me pointed in the right direction because I don't use eBay :)

http://www.militarygearzone.com/item/see-all-items/molle-marpat-buckle-repair-rep/lid=15013151

Was playing around with the packs.. they really are great! Lots of adjustments, and I think you could pack everything, including the kitchen sink, in the main pack. Thanks for all the work and sacrifice of your garage, SDH!

Last edited:

linuxguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2012
    Any extras?

Unfortunately, I didn't see this thread until the party was over. Are there any extras available for sale? I'd be interested in a set.

newbomb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    southwest indiana
    At this time I will be making a trip to Indy on Monday the 7th to pick up my bags. I will be returning to south western Indiana specifically Washington that evening. If anyone would like me to pick up their stuff I would be happy to do so. Either pay doc as planned or pay me when you meet me to get equipment. Just get ahold of me and let me know.

Status
    Please reply by conversation.
    Top Bottom