• Status
    Please reply by conversation.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    If I am reading the current(which I know may not 100% up to date) it appears that those who are on the first list have reduced their need by 56 packs. I may have a shot at mine!

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Ha, completely missed the number but saw the PM. Thanks. I am sure he wants to wait until after Christmas.

Ya, that's probably right. I saw where you are on the list, Doc will still have a good pack for you.

Don't know if you've ever seen one in person, but I am still downright impressed with mine. They're worth a lot more than Doc is taking for them..

ryanbr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Logansport
    Thanks but no reply to a PM no phone number no address so I am not sure what to do.

Reread the post phone number is there and says to text or pm for directions. Wasnt hard to figure out or make any arrangements. Doc is a great guy and working his butt off for little return to arrange this for all the members. Cut him some slack, it is the holidays and busy time of the year!

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Reread the post phone number is there and says to text or pm for directions. Wasnt hard to figure out or make any arrangements. Doc is a great guy and working his butt off for little return to arrange this for all the members. Cut him some slack, it is the holidays and busy time of the year!

Thanks I found it earlier and Doc texted me back to watch this thread for when he will be ready to distribute again after the Holiday.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    If I am reading the current(which I know may not 100% up to date) it appears that those who are on the first list have reduced their need by 56 packs. I may have a shot at mine!

Keep in mind MANY people mentioned a range of packs they might be interested in in the feeler thread. The number next to everyone's name is the upper end of the range they mentioned. The "200 pack cutoff" line was established by adding up the smaller numbers of the range. So if someone has a 4 next to their name and they are only getting 2 packs, that does not necessarily equate to a negative 2 balance. They may have been a "1-4 packs for me please", in the feeler thread and therefore represent one LESS pack available.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    Keep in mind MANY people mentioned a range of packs they might be interested in in the feeler thread. The number next to everyone's name is the upper end of the range they mentioned. The "200 pack cutoff" line was established by adding up the smaller numbers of the range. So if someone has a 4 next to their name and they are only getting 2 packs, that does not necessarily equate to a negative 2 balance. They may have been a "1-4 packs for me please", in the feeler thread and therefore represent one LESS pack available.

ahhhhhh...... bummer..... fingers crossed

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    I "might" have room to pick some up from Doc on my way back south after Christmas. There are a couple options for SW folks to pick them up. I might be able to get a co-worker down near Frenchlick to take them home and pass them off to somebody that is willing to come pick them up. Or, I could meet right where I69 ends near Crane some day after work.

The logistics of this is going to be a bit more challenging though. I have 2 pigs my dad is having processed for me and I'll be bringing them back with me. I'm not even sure if I can get 2 pigs in coolers in my car, let alone some packs. So this is going to depend largely in part on just how much room I have after I pick the pigs up. I won't know until the day I'm coming back home because I'm picking the pigs up at the processor then heading back home from there.

I'm normally in fisher's 2 to 3 times a week, and back in Bloomington every night... of course after Thursday of this week I won't be available until after the 5th. I can definitely assist in getting packs down to this area... and down to at least Bedford.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Some of the weird things I've found left in the packs I picked up: a gum wrapper, a desiccant pack, a luggage tag from a Marine named Ashley (I can only hope a female), a pair of black compatible clasps attached to the radio pouch buckles, a dirty coyote brown sock (discarded), and a pristine APB03 radio pouch. Be sure to look inside them, guys.

There are some variations which are noticeable when you examine so many so closely. One pack has a captive cinch on the same strap loop as the top centerline buckle (photo included). The top assault pack retainer buckles on one pack are one MOLLE row lower than on the others.

Some of the wear and tear I've identified: a top left constriction strap/assault pack retainer buckle attachment point with popped stitching. The strap for the right waist belt cinch pulling through the body of the pack. Just back it with some more material and restitch it through the reinforcing. A popped seam where the top of the bag joins the body of the bag at the upper left pass-through slit. Easy enough to fix with a surger. I don't have a surger. Lots of fuzzy strings poking out of the padding. Easy enough to clean up somewhat with a lighter. Small holes worn in the padding cover on the right, forward, underside of the waist belt. An iron on patch would prolly cure that. Missing clasps and missing/worn out elastic strap minders on field and assault packs, both. Just gonna bum-rush Jo-Ann's Fabrics or similar for supplies. Several packs have the loose strapping wrapped up and taped with either electrical tape, duct tape, or (I think) 200 MPH tape). Removing it leaves residue. I'll ask the folks at Jo-Ann's about how to remove it.

Some of the flaws I identified in the packs I rejected at SmileDocHill's, and which others should be aware: A lifting handle strap that had pulled out and whose radiator hose was missing. Quick disconnect buckles that refused to rebuckle. I think I have a solution to those, which I'll save for another post.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Some of the weird things I've found left in the packs I picked up: a gum wrapper, a desiccant pack, a luggage tag from a Marine named Ashley (I can only hope a female), a pair of black compatible clasps attached to the radio pouch buckles, a dirty coyote brown sock (discarded), and a pristine APB03 radio pouch. Be sure to look inside them, guys. NO CHARGE. LOL

There are some variations which are noticeable when you examine so many so closely. One pack has a captive cinch on the same strap loop as the top centerline buckle (photo included). The top assault pack retainer buckles on one pack are one MOLLE row lower than on the others.

Some of the wear and tear I've identified: a top left constriction strap/assault pack retainer buckle attachment point with popped stitching. The strap for the right waist belt cinch pulling through the body of the pack. Just back it with some more material and restitch it through the reinforcing. A popped seam where the top of the bag joins the body of the bag at the upper left pass-through slit. Easy enough to fix with a surger. I don't have a surger. Lots of fuzzy strings poking out of the padding. Easy enough to clean up somewhat with a lighter. Small holes worn in the padding cover on the right, forward, underside of the waist belt. An iron on patch would prolly cure that. Missing clasps and missing/worn out elastic strap minders on field and assault packs, both. Just gonna bum-rush Jo-Ann's Fabrics or similar for supplies. Several packs have the loose strapping wrapped up and taped with either electrical tape, duct tape, or (I think) 200 MPH tape). Removing it leaves residue. I'll ask the folks at Jo-Ann's about how to remove it.

Some of the flaws I identified in the packs I rejected at SmileDocHill's, and which others should be aware: A lifting handle strap that had pulled out and whose radiator hose was missing. Quick disconnect buckles that refused to rebuckle. I went back over all those in that pile a day or two later and, like I think you discovered allso, there is a little wiggle trick that allows them to snap without the need for vice grip pressure. I think I have a solution to those, which I'll save for another post.

I added purple and red comments.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here are examples of the two types of hydration carriers I've found.
    8309734362_e41b029ede_z.jpg

The one on the left has only one vertical zipper and the top horizontal zipper is on the back. The one on the right has two vertical zippers and the top horizontal zipper is on the front.
    8308681265_8867b88954.jpg
    8308679885_94d148dc19.jpg

The second vertical zipper is to a separate storage pocket.
    8309730150_93bcb9a6a9_z.jpg

There are also two versions of the Gen2 field packs. One version has a cinch on the top, rear, midline strap along with the buckle for the top closure strap.
    8308676983_dd3e6607a6_z.jpg

It also has 3/4" cinch attachment points inside for a radio pouch instead of 1" buckles, The lids have 3/4" straps with cinches on the underside. And, the top side compression straps do not attach at the same point as the side buckles for the assault pack retainer.

Last edited:

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Here are examples of the two types of hydration carriers I've found.
    8309734362_e41b029ede_z.jpg

The one on the left has only one vertical zipper and the top horizontal zipper is on the back. The one on the right has two vertical zippers and the top horizontal zipper is on the front.
    8308681265_8867b88954.jpg
    8308679885_94d148dc19.jpg

The second vertical zipper is to a separate storage pocket.
    8309730150_93bcb9a6a9_z.jpg

There are also two versions of the Gen2 field packs. One version has a cinch on the top, rear, midline strap along with the buckle for the top closure strap.
    8308676983_dd3e6607a6_z.jpg

It also has 3/4" cinch attachment points inside for a radio pouch instead of 1" buckles, The lids have 3/4" straps with cinches on the underside. And, the top side compression straps do not attach at the same point as the side buckles for the assault pack retainer.
    Fixed images for ya.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Smile Doc............

Can you start a round two thread for the below the line people so we can figure out what is going on............

No rush, but I'm getting lost

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Smile Doc............

Can you start a round two thread for the below the line people so we can figure out what is going on............

No rush, but I'm getting lost

Bottom line is that once the flare-ups die down, and the fire settles into a comfortable murmur, he'll start PM'ing those of us on the alternate list. Or at least, that's the impression I got.

Status
    Please reply by conversation.
    Top Bottom