Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Contender Carbine
    4x12 Burris
    40 yards

This is my first groundhog of the year. I got him this afternoon (Feb. 22) up about 12 feet in a mulberry tree at the edge of the yard about 40 yards off of the back porch. He was just sitting there looking around. When he dropped out of the tree landed in the barn lot. A heifer walked over and gave him a sniff, then went back to the hay feeder. :laugh:

Last year I got one about 5 feet up in the same tree.

Has anyone else been getting groundhogs? :dunno:

Bucky

G-Hog.jpg

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    nice shooting. out where i live we dont have a ground hog problem. we have a opossum, raccoon and coyote problem... shot at one last night.

Jeffrey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    agree

nice shooting. out where i live we dont have a ground hog problem. we have a opossum, raccoon and coyote problem... shot at one last night.

We've got the same problem. Too many coyotes, and I think that's taken a toll on the groundhog population in the area. I wish there were more of them around. We've got a bunch of them on our family farm in Ohio, tons of fun. I can't think of too many things I like more than groundhog hunting on a spring day. Thats an awesome contender carbine by the way, and a huge groundhog. I've seen some on top of brush piles, but never up in trees. My dad has mentioned seeing them sitting on top of fence posts before.

Bucky623

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    ...Thats an awesome contender carbine by the way...
    Thanks. :yesway:

...wait a while until the females have a litter. More shooting...
    I got three young ones with one shot when I was a kid but I wasn't using the contender. They love digging under the foundations of the out buildings. I think the one I shot today is the one that was digging under the LP tank. It's sitting at a tilt now.

Bucky

jburris

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    henry county
    nice hog. i didnt know they climed trees either. I usually get one bout every 2 wks here. got a secret weapon for them this year. ( oh yeah its a 500). ha.. think it will do the trick.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I'm glad to hear that the little buggers are becoming active again.
    My Uncle's place is infested with them and I intend to "thin the herd" for him. :D
    Mike

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    We've got some huge ones where I work. My wife and I went through the drive-up at McDonald's Sunday afternoon, then parked on the lane going back to my place of employment to eat. About 20 yards to our right in a small patch of woods appeared a huge groundhog as it popped up out of its burrow. It wandered around and paused to rub both sides of its face repeatedly on a sapling. It then reared up on its hind legs, placed its front feet on a large tree, and stretched like it had just awakened from a long hibernation. My wife asked if they could climb trees and I told her probably not. From reading this thread, I guess I was wrong.

I told her that they are pretty skittish, and to prove my point, I started the truck. The groundhog ran faster than you'd think they could, and dove into its burrow like I predicted.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    The only thing I can use legally to hunt in my backyard probably my Air Rifle which chambered for .177 pellets. I got a rabbit at around 30 yards in the open field. Good thing no neighbor was out yet. Otherwise, they would go nuts.

Top Bottom