• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    It seems the foundation of my house has been infiltrated with the little buggers. Last summer I conducted a scorched earth campaign against them that basically involved me pouring used motor oil and old 2 cycle gasoline down their hole and lighting it on fire. ;) Seems to have made limited success.

I can see at one entrance to the burrow and could probably find more if I looked.

Question: What is the best way to dispose of the little varmints?

Live trap, Connibear, poison, ???

Let's tap into the INGO wisdom and see what shakes out.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    Drop a few tablet of pest poison into the holes or get a air rifle ready for them as I did. Killed a fews and then filled the holes with dirts and it seemed to take care of the problem.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Rat traps. I like the plastic snap type. You need to stake them down or tie them off. If the squirrel gets caught by the nose he will run off with your trap.

Nuts, peanut butter, etc. as bait.

Also a metal plate attached to one post of a charged capacitor, peanut butter on the other. You get the idea.

Also drive nails through a 6"x6" plywood piece. Hinge it to another 6x6 piece. Wrap rubber straps around them, hold that sandwich open with a pretzel stick smeared with.....peanut butter.

I've had run ins with ground squirrels before.

z0mk3y m0nk3y

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    To kill, you must know your enemy. In this case, the enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit. They're like the Viet cong. Varmint cong. So what you've gotta do, you've got to fall back on superior firepower, and superior intelligence. And that's all she wrote.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I've heard of using oxy acetalyne on moles, I think propane would work better since it's heavier than air but I be either would put a hurt on Chip 'n Dale just as good.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Hmm

I'm fond of .17 HM2 at about 20 paces although I'm considering going to an airgun so I can tan the little hides and makes me some Mittens with little tails all over 'em.:D

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    I am fond of rat traps with peanut butter and a tiny bit of dorito on top. The dorito has to be pulled off to get the peanut butter and always sets off the trap. Becareful decapatation is possible.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    Hardware stores to sell mole rockets but I think the EPA put a stop to those,used to send bottle rockets down the holes to scare them out & wait for their exit. One may have escaped last seasons napalming & has wrought revenge for the death of its ground rat family

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I've heard of using oxy acetalyne on moles, I think propane would work better since it's heavier than air but I be either would put a hurt on Chip 'n Dale just as good.

My FIL used propane on mole burrows out in the far front yard, stuck a ignitor down the hole and ran a 150 foot wire back up to the house, then took hose from a 50 pound tank and ran it in and sealed it up. Opened the valve and emptied it and removed the tank.

When he hit the wires to the battery it was epic, shook the ground and blew all the mole runs up including the living quarters, this is something you DO NOT want to do around the foundation of a home because this nasty.

Now you might want to buy this!

Gophers Pest Control | Moles Burrowing Rodents @ Rodenator

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    My FIL used propane on mole burrows out in the far front yard, stuck a ignitor down the hole and ran a 150 foot wire back up to the house, then took hose from a 50 pound tank and ran it in and sealed it up. Opened the valve and emptied it and removed the tank.

When he hit the wires to the battery it was epic, shook the ground and blew all the mole runs up including the living quarters, this is something you DO NOT want to do around the foundation of a home because this nasty.

LOLZ That is hilarious!!

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU

i wonder what the neighbors say about your friend way of getting rid of varmints:popcorn:

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    A friend's father launched a similar campaign against moles. Towards the end, his yard, with all the traps, scorches, digging, and dead grass, looked more like the WWII No Man's Land.
    ...just don't get carried away.

Really, I think one of his amish-made traps had a katana in it....

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    unclear

I am fond of rat traps with peanut butter and a tiny bit of dorito on top. The dorito has to be pulled off to get the peanut butter and always sets off the trap. Be careful, decapatition is possible.

Not your head, the striped rat's. An added benefit, if you ask me.:rockwoot:

The Dorito is a nice touch. Are you a Chef in real life?:D

Top Bottom