• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    Gun free signs with no way of detecting guns at the entrance are just dumb. If I can walk through the front door with my shield at my side, without anyone knowing, whats going to stop a killer walking through thr front door with his gun? All those signs do is keep good people from carrying.....the same good people that would stop the shooter

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    You guys go to malls a lot. I don't think I have been to a mall since I discovered Amazon Prime. Has anything bad ever happened in Greenwood? it seems pretty tame.

For me the mall is one of the last places I'd choose to shop, but the GF likes to go for certain stores and on special occasions. As Churchmouse often says: It's all about keeping the spouse happy.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    While spending time in Greenwood I was an absolute mess. And my GF could tell. I was paying attention to just about everyone but her (just don't tell her that). Keep in mind this was just 3 days after the orlando shooting so here I am sitting in Bdubs and I'm running scenarios through my head, watching everyones move, and I can't help but know that I am helpless in any self defense situation that may arise because I was unarmed

If your this wrecked without a pistol you should really focus on more training until you feel just as comfortable not carrying as you do while carrying. Situational awareness is always your first weapon, but if your hyper aware because your uncomfortable in the situation you could actually not be aware of anything. Over analyzing is a distraction in itself. I guarantee while you thought you saw everyone's moves you missed more than you saw by thinking to much.

Look into martial arts training of some form. There are lots of trainers here on INGO or look in your home town. There's probably a Karate or something school close by.

I am not a professional nor practitioner of any formal martial arts, but I've been in enough scraps to know how to handle myself and when to get the hell out if need be. Of course I'm not a teenager anymore and I could probably benefit from my own advice..... I need more training

Oh and also. Always carry. ;)

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    For Me....

I carry everywhere that is allowed by law. Simon Malls included.

The ONLY restriction placed upon me is Open Carry.

I would say that a Mall Cop, if not a TRAINED LEO would not be able to tell if I have on my full size Glock, full size 1911, or a 4" barrel S&W for that matter...Bill.

twfshelton

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    The woods of green
    I view that those of us on the right side of the law, have little worry about being "busted". Not only do I carry at the mall and work, but also in gun unfriendly states, like our neighbors on either side. I figure that if my gun comes into play, I would rather defend myself in court than the grave.

migunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 4, 2011
    DeMotte
    Carry anyway. In Indiana, no gun signs don't carry the weight of the law. If they see it and ask you to leave, you do just that. I try hard to avoid these places anyway.

Also, your people watching shouldn't be any different whether you are armed or not. Especially in a large place with many people around. Your situational awareness is the key to recognizing signs and/or problems BEFORE things get bad. You have a better chance of getting out of harms way before things get nasty.

I have a Seecamp .380 that I carry when I cannot carry !

USA#1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    In the forest
    I carry absolutely everywhere I can legally, where I won't be arrested if caught. If on private property and I was busted I would simply immediately stop what I was doing and leave.

^^^This! I have a quality kydex and leather holster with a good gun belt and clothes that fit but are not clingy. I carry a full size glock or xds all the time whether they have signs posted or not unless it's a federal building or school etc. with no problems. Worst thing that could happen is I may be asked to leave. Keep calm and carry on.

Jeff

Home of the P7
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    South Indy
    While spending time in Greenwood I was an absolute mess. And my GF could tell. I was paying attention to just about everyone but her (just don't tell her that). Keep in mind this was just 3 days after the Orlando shooting so here I am sitting in Bdubs and I'm running scenarios through my head, watching everyones move, and I can't help but know that I am helpless in any self defense situation that may arise because I was unarmed. The walk through the mall was the same thing. Basically , my question is, what would you have done in my situation? would you have carried into the greenwood mall or left the gun at home? Is there anything that I could have done better to not be so defenseless? They say the day you decide to not carry is the day your gonna need it and Tuesday I was feeling like nothing could have been more true.

Is this what it has come to? Scared to go to a mall without a firearm?

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    The mall "code of conduct" is not law. I carry in there every time and would be foolish not to. I know how you feel though. I was on lunch and didn't have my gun with me when I ate at Chicago's pizza on US 31 and I was just anxious before going knowing I wouldn't have my gun with me. It goes with me 99% of the time that I'm in public. In Indiana the only places you're legally not allowed to carry are those listed in state statute. Usually schools, .gov buildings, etc.

Bottom line....never leave your gun at home! If you open carry then find a suitable concealed carry holster or another firearm to accommodate concealed carry for you.

Jeff

Home of the P7
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    South Indy
    Anything can happen anywhere. Would you rather not be prepared? The greenwood mall is also filled with white trash if you haven't been there lately.

Yes it can, and does.
    I am prepared, I just choose not to live in fear.
    I have lived here in Greenwood for the past nine years (10 min from the mall).
    I don't frequent the mall much since the bus line was established, but I'm certainly not going to wig out if I'm not carrying. Be it there or anywhere.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Considering the mall is a GFZ I would not have shopped there, even if I did choose to go armed anyway. I don't spend money in businesses that are hostile to gun owners. I would have shopped someplace else. If that's absolutely out of the question and I'm forced to go for one reason or the other I would have went armed anyway. I will not disarm and walk about as an unarmed victim due to some pencil pushers policy or feel good rules. I don't see carrying a gun as a fashion statement, it's a tool to defend myself and family against the evils of society. That can't be done if it's not with me. The worst the mall can do is tell you to leave. That's much easier than what those that would do you harm can do. Besides, if I was ever told to leave a GFZ and never come back I don't think I'd be butthurt in any way. If they do it while SWMBO is with me then all the better, she won't want to go back either.

Summary: If I'm awake, I'm armed for my benefit and to hell with the businesses that don't like it.

I'm not giving money to the mall, I'm giving money to the business who have chosen that their profit would benefit from being within the mall. Most of those stores are neutral on the 2A. I can visit one of them outside of the mall and they don't say anything to me. Those stores did not make the rule regarding carrying and until their company makes me leave, outside the mall, I have no problem shopping there. FWIW, I've NEVER been asked to leave. I've been asked to take it out to my car and I don't go to that theatre any longer.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Thanks AngryRooster. I should've went armed anyway but didn't know how hostile simon security was about carrying in their GFZ. I believe I do pretty well at concealment but recently purchased a new carry gun and perfecting my concealment is something I've still got to work on. I wouldn't have went, but my half was wanting to go. :whip:

As long as it's covered, they won't say anything. If you come uncovered, recover it and they won't care.

You guys go to malls a lot. I don't think I have been to a mall since I discovered Amazon Prime. Has anything bad ever happened in Greenwood? it seems pretty tame.

Woman says she was attacked by group of women at Greenwood Park - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

Yes. It can happen anywhere. Be ready where ever you go.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Once when I was 18 I was OC'ing in that mall and some smartass mall cops stopped me and demanded to see my LTCH and ID. I called the cops and the gun-friendly officer told white shirt boys to pound sand as they couldn't legally demand my ID's.

Why did you waste LE's time? I would have told him I was legally able to carry and until he can prove that he can legally demand my ID and LTCH, I don't need to show him ****.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I used to work at that mall (Gallenkamp Shoes) before it was enclosed. :fogey: I try to avoid it now, but I've carried when I've been. Now. Not back then. :):

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Yes it can, and does.
    I am prepared, I just choose not to live in fear.
    I have lived here in Greenwood for the past nine years (10 min from the mall).
    I don't frequent the mall much since the bus line was established, but I'm certainly not going to wig out if I'm not carrying. Be it there or anywhere.

Why would you assume another gun owner, "lives in fear" because he is concerned about carrying in public? Is Greenwood Mall guarded by a Crime Free Force Field, I am not aware of?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    GABE SUAREZ BLOG - STOP THE BLEEDING - THE OTHER SIDE OF COUNTER TERRORISM

...I believe completely that today every man and woman is a potential counter terrorist. And since do not know who the terrorist is, or when they might strike, prudence demands that we take a war footing in America. Nobody will come to help us in time so we must accept that we are our only real source of safety. And that safety comes from the ever-present ability to personally kill the terrorist when he reveals himself.

I will restate this - when the event kicks off, an armed man or woman's focus must be to kill the terrorist...

...If you think we are being excessive about this, we cannot inquire of the dead, but please go ask the survivors of San Bernadino and Orlando and see what they think.

We live in a time of war.

Gabe Suarez

Top Bottom