Green Latern bats for the other team now?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Looking back at my comic book driven youth (mainly Iron Man etc.) I always wondered about the GL and his outfit. Gaydar was going off at 12 yrs. old............

Dorian Gray

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Who cares? Marvel comics has had openly gay characters in their comics for years. Now DC is trying to create a buzz by teasing that they will reveal a gay character then doing so. I'm sure they threw a dart at a board and picked Alan Scott. Shame on DC, write some quality stuff to gain readers.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Gay? I didn't even think he was happy much less gay. Oh well, I guess you can be chipper and still fight crime. There are just too many angst ridden unhappy superheroes so it's nice to see one being happy and gay instead of morose. Maybe he will get a chick now. Girls get tired of that angst ridden routine.:D

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Gay? I didn't even think he was happy much less gay. Oh well, I guess you can be chipper and still fight crime. There are just too many angst ridden unhappy superheroes so it's nice to see one being happy and gay instead of morose. Maybe he will get a chick now. Girls get tired of that angst ridden routine.:D

Huh............

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    No more over the line than the homosexual lobby in this country recruiting our children, overtly and with the blessing of the media machine.
    The Gay Illuminati, huh? They secretly seek to make us all fabulous and tolerant. Sheesh.... If you knew anything about comics you'd know that gay characters have been around for a long time. The fact that your sort are just now noticing says a lot about knee jerk reactionism in this country. You're just looking for something to be offended by. Comics are, and have been for years, about reflecting our society. Gay people exist in the real world and they exist in the comics world. Get over yourself. Hell, you want something to be upset about? How about Wonder Woman in the 40's and 50's promoting S&M. Guess it was the S&M lobby that was responsible for that.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    The Gay Illuminati, huh? They secretly seek to make us all fabulous and tolerant. Sheesh.... If you knew anything about comics you'd know that gay characters have been around for a long time. The fact that your sort are just now noticing says a lot about knee jerk reactionism in this country. You're just looking for something to be offended by. Comics are, and have been for years, about reflecting our society. Gay people exist in the real world and they exist in the comics world. Get over yourself. Hell, you want something to be upset about? How about Wonder Woman in the 40's and 50's promoting S&M. Guess it was the S&M lobby that was responsible for that.

It's no secret though.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Huh............

30 years ago "Gay" meant happy. I was trying to make a joke. A English friend of mine would say "Can I have a fag?" whenever she would see me getting a cigarette from my pack. "Fag" used to mean cigarette.

It was a weak attempt at humour showing how language evolves and words mean different things at different times in history.

Comic books are a reflection of society so I fully expect somewhere between 2-3 % of Superheroes will now be gay, transgendered, bisexual, or a combo of all above. It's only fair in an Orwellian Society. We wouldn't want anyone to feel unrepresented. It is my hope and prayers that one day Christians will be given the same latitude and representation in the comic book world but alas...That is only wishful thinking for now...but by the "mirror of society" logic that mrjarrell adheres to I fully expect his support of the 70% Christian Superheroes. You know, because it's a mirror of our (US) society.

I just thought comic books were an entertaining read for when you were a kid. Maybe the "mirror of society" comes from comic book writers that want to be taken seriously by the NPR crowd by making their work seem socially important and not "I gotta poo Ma, where is my comic book stash at." If they make a character gay maybe they hope some of their adult fans will be able to be taken seriously by saying stuff like. "Comic Books have always been a reflection of society and if you don't know that you are a backward thinking cretin who just doesn't get how "serious" comic books are. Gosh, hasn't anyone seen "Unbreakable"? This is serious literature here. C'mon."

Last edited:

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    Been collecting DC comics for years. No more.
    It's not that they have a gay character. I could care less.
    Just bugs me that they keep changing the back stories every few years.
    There's a reason some of these guys have been around for 70 years. They were good characters! I just don't see a need to remake them into something different every time the writers can't come up with a new story.
    So I'm done with 'em.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Oh well. Since I learned way back that Rock Hudson was gay seems little can surprise me, now John Travolta. I bet you anything Nicholas Cage is homosexual and I GUARANTEE that Kenny Chesney is very very gay.
    No more real "Macho" superheros I guess.

Top Bottom