Great weather for running the Carbine Courses.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Took advantage of some really nice October weather yesterday and got out and done some Run-N-gun with a few friends. I have to say it really shows you what you need to work on as a shooter and for your systems when you run courses such as this.... I'm really liking how I got this rifle currently configured although it could be a bit lighter and I need to get a different holster that hugs the body a bit better. Other than that I'm pretty pleased with how well the runs went for me, but there is always room for improvement..

[video=youtube;mPpRcDudbqY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPpRcDudbqY[/video]

Here is one of the runs from NyleRN

[video=youtube;dmrU-P4Y4vM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmrU-P4Y4vM[/video]

Last edited:

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Looks like fun! Something I'd like to try some time. Do you have an emergency defibrillator on site for me? Haven't done much running lately and both of you looked just a bit winded after the run. :D

Matt

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Ha ha I know what you mean, It takes some getting use to as far as the physical activity but its well worth it from a training aspect. Running the courses are a ton of fun.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I know that Kyle Lamb and his students use the barricade for support when they do the 9-Hole Drill, but have you guys considered trying it without using it for support (and not pushing your muzzle through the ports)? In addition to the challenge of the marksmanship without a rest, you also have to be aware of your muzzle position with respect to the port (and your line of sight).

In terms of applications, that barricade and its ports are designed to force you into unorthodox and uncomfortable shooting positions which you might encounter in a bad social situation. In those situations, you might be able to use something for support (and you should if it's available), but I think it's a good idea to also practice shooting unsupported for times when it's not possible to get a support.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I know that Kyle Lamb and his students use the barricade for support when they do the 9-Hole Drill, but have you guys considered trying it without using it for support (and not pushing your muzzle through the ports)? In addition to the challenge of the marksmanship without a rest, you also have to be aware of your muzzle position with respect to the port (and your line of sight).

In terms of applications, that barricade and its ports are designed to force you into unorthodox and uncomfortable shooting positions which you might encounter in a bad social situation. In those situations, you might be able to use something for support (and you should if it's available), but I think it's a good idea to also practice shooting unsupported for times when it's not possible to get a support.

Yes I've ran it a few times unsupported, should probably do it more though. Its real fun doing it with a pistol. The main thing for me running the boards for me is just getting into the positions and shooting with the addition of the cardio involved in doing it. Just wish I had more time to play with them and do different things such as those.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    Being that you are in Scottsburg you ought to come out and try a USPSA Match in Sellersburg or Freetown (this weekend!) to refine some of your pistol handling skills. I guarantee you'll learn a lot for a $20 match fee.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Another video of the medium course. Wish Id had time to run it that day using my DB15 build, I'm really starting to favor the 1-4x optic over the red dot setup that I have on the Franken AR.

[video=youtube;lWsO6kZluyY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWsO6kZluyY[/video]

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Good work training in a non-standard way! Even if you never need to do that in real life, and a lot of us civilians hope and pray that we never do, it does help you learn your strengths and weaknesses. Plus having yourself on video is always helpful for critiquing technique.

As a completely armature shooter myself, I'd offer a couple bits of constructive feedback to supplement what Rhino said. This is from some learnings I've had in previous instructor led carbine classes.

1) In the spirit of knowing cover and concealment, treat the barricade as if it were cover - i.e. it was something of sufficient mass and construction to protect you from incoming threats. As such, take a look at some of the more awkward positions and note how much of your body is no longer behind said cover.

2) For some of the lower positions, consider a roll over prone, "broke back" prone (your rear end is hiked up in the air), or a standard prone, but with the ejection port facing up. This is key to preventing some potential malfunctions from brass or debris bouncing into the ejection port.

3) Hits matter, and are even more important when firing from uncomfortable positions. Really work on the fundamentals of getting a good sight picture and pressing the trigger.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Good work training in a non-standard way! Even if you never need to do that in real life, and a lot of us civilians hope and pray that we never do, it does help you learn your strengths and weaknesses. Plus having yourself on video is always helpful for critiquing technique.

As a completely armature shooter myself, I'd offer a couple bits of constructive feedback to supplement what Rhino said. This is from some learnings I've had in previous instructor led carbine classes.

1) In the spirit of knowing cover and concealment, treat the barricade as if it were cover - i.e. it was something of sufficient mass and construction to protect you from incoming threats. As such, take a look at some of the more awkward positions and note how much of your body is no longer behind said cover.

2) For some of the lower positions, consider a roll over prone, "broke back" prone (your rear end is hiked up in the air), or a standard prone, but with the ejection port facing up. This is key to preventing some potential malfunctions from brass or debris bouncing into the ejection port.

3) Hits matter, and are even more important when firing from uncomfortable positions. Really work on the fundamentals of getting a good sight picture and pressing the trigger.

Indeed, I agree... Thanks for the words of advice, Ill defiantly try to incorporate some of those.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN

In the last three carbine classes that I took in the past year, most used VTAC barricade to simulate different shooting positions. The ports are normally unsupported (for me), depending on distance (longer will be supported). However, if unsupported, the muzzle of the rifle is usually in or at least very close to the port.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    In the last three carbine classes that I took in the past year, most used VTAC barricade to simulate different shooting positions. The ports are normally unsupported (for me), depending on distance (longer will be supported). However, if unsupported, the muzzle of the rifle is usually in or at least very close to the port.

Yea I've seen the shot both ways in classes I've been to as well. All comes down to what your trying to accomplish for a given training session I would say.

Top Bottom