• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    A family member wants to give his car to one of his grandkids. He has five grandkids and also is giving other items away. The car is 10 years old and very well cared for. He has decided that he wants to give it to one of the grandkids who he thinks will take care of it like he did.

Please vote in the poll to confirm what I told him to do.

Last edited:

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    A family member wants to give his car to one of his grandkids. He has five grandkids and also is giving other items away. The car is 10 years old and very well cared for. He has decided that he wants to give it to one of the grandkids who he thinks will take care of it like he did.

Please vote in the poll to confirm what I told him to do.
    absolutely give it to the kid who will appreciate it and take car of it. Other than that sell the care and give the money to you.:D

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    [STRIKE]give[/STRIKE]sale for $1 the car to the grandkid who will take care of it and remember how much he took care of it

If he gives it to his grandkid it's a gift, and gift tax's apply. If he sales the car the grandkid will only have to pay sales tax on the amount...

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    FYI

You all are thinking like a normal person would. I have a family member that is now saying the the other four should get paid what the car is worth. So basically the other 4 should be paid $5,500 each.

What do you think of that and do you think that family member is greedy and out of touch? He is related to the two that said they would sell it if the were given it.

Now picture an elderly man who is being bugged by a family member to pay the other kids that much money to be fair.............

sharkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Hognuts' Liberal ****hole
    [STRIKE]give[/STRIKE]sale for $1 the car to the grandkid who will take care of it and remember how much he took care of it

If he gives it to his grandkid it's a gift, and gift tax's apply. If he sales the car the grandkid will only have to pay sales tax on the amount...

That's an outstanding idea.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    FYI

You all are thinking like a normal person would. I have a family member that is now saying the the other four should get paid what the car is worth. So basically the other 4 should be paid $5,500 each.

What do you think of that and do you think that family member is greedy and out of touch? He is related to the two that said they would sell it if the were given it.

Now picture an elderly man who is being bugged by a family member to pay the other kids that much money to be fair.............

Will there be an Occupy Grandpa event that will occur soon?

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Said family member also makes over 200K a year and still begs for money...he can never have enough, but has almost no savings.................................

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Sell it and split it with all grand children to avoid picking a favorite.

That was his option number 2. He wants it to go to someone that will take care of it. None of the others are that interested because it is a 10 year old car. He wants to pass it on, not get rid of it.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    That's why I'm glad I only have 1 kid. Unless she turns up with a multiple personality disorder, she'll only have herself to argue with.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    FYI

My wife's aunt is in the same boat. I will tell you the same thing I told her. "Write out who you are giving what. Give all you can away before it is too late and they have time to bicker over it. It is your stuff do what you want. BTW all I want is the kitchen knives and the blender.:D"

You can leave that last line in our out if you want. She did laugh at the last one and said ok I can have them.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I'm reminded of my grandad and a similar dilemma he had. As the eldest kid I received a .22 from him when I was about 10. I was the only grandkid who ever was interested in guns and the only one who ever went hunting with him. I'm the only one of his grandkids who inherited a firearm from him (my .30-30 Winchester). No-one else got anything and they learned to suck it up and move on. That's what needs to go on here. Someone's going to have their feeling hurt and that's just too darned bad. It's his property to dispose of as he pleases. They'll have to get over it. Hope he gives it to someone who'll care for it as well as he did.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    My mom had 5 rings with diamonds in them. Some were much more valuable than others. There were 3 granddaughters and 2 daughters in law. We got 5 ring boxes that were identical and had each girl pick one and what they got is what they got. If any complained, they didn't deserve what they got. One of my nieces ended up with the most valuable one and my daughter and wife ended up on the mid to low end. To us, it wasn't about the value but the heirloom.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Gramps should just give the car to who ever he wants. If it ticks somebody off, too bad. It's his stuff, they don't have any rights to it (or any of his stuff/assets) just because they are related to him.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I'm reminded of my grandad and a similar dilemma he had. As the eldest kid I received a .22 from him when I was about 10. I was the only grandkid who ever was interested in guns and the only one who ever went hunting with him. I'm the only one of his grandkids who inherited a firearm from him (my .30-30 Winchester). No-one else got anything and they learned to suck it up and move on. That's what needs to go on here. Someone's going to have their feeling hurt and that's just too darned bad. It's his property to dispose of as he pleases. They'll have to get over it. Hope he gives it to someone who'll care for it as well as he did.

I agree with mrjarrell,.......IF.......there is a grand kid that will keep it and take care of it! That's what Grandpa said, right?
    Is he leaving it up to you to decide?
    Obviously, the two that said they would sell it are out!
    Did Grampa have one particular kid in mind or just any of the grand kids that will do as he wishes?

If none of them wanted it, ....fine, nobody gets it!
    Normally I would say sell it and split it five ways, but I don't think this is about money! This is about a car that meant something to Grandpa!

When my mom got a new car, she offered her old one to three of the grand kids, and they all turned her down because " it a Grandma car" ! And one of those was my daughter! I was disappointed in her response, but figured she would learn something from it eventually. Any of my moms grand kids could have taken the car and traded up or sold it or whatever. She didn't care. But they didn't think it out that far.

Someone offer me a free car, and see what I do!:dunno:

Top Bottom