• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hANNAbONE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Des Moines, Iowa
    ...dog barks loud all day everyday. Huge Burmese tri color that just goes off on anything that moves.
    We live near a very heavily traveled (*all day all night*) roadway - and big rigs and loud high schoolers roll through at all hours.
    This friggin' dog barks constantly.
    I record and play music for a living, and I'm finding it increasingly harder to get quiet time for recording - EVEN IN MY FOAM STUDIO.

Yes, I've contacted authorities, Yes, we've talked to the neighbors about the problem, Yes, I'm about to rack a round in and take this suckah out ...

But, wanted to come to you fella's and get your take on any last chance efforts to remain civil and not strangle this furry critter.

Off soap box -your turn...

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Call animal control. Request that the owners be responsible and try to silence the dog whether by bark collar or other means.

If that doesn't work, you can call the area ordinance officer. They can write a warning or a ticket.

If everything fails, hook up your PA and loop a dog barking as often and loud as theirs does. There are also sound devices that will counteract the frequency and make it unaudible on your end. You could take them tp small claims and request that they buy you and your neighbors some...which brings up the last point.

Get more people to call in. If one person keeps calling, odds are they think you either hate the dog or the owner and they will blow you off. If you have other pissed off neighbors as well calling all these people, it will be taken care of I would think by the AC officer or the ordinance cop.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    Animals get loose and disappear all the time.

But on a serious note call in on them everyday and get other neighbors to do the same. Someone will eventually do something about it.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Note to OP: If ANYTHING happens to that dog physically, you WILL be looked at as the actor whether or not you've done it just due to prior complaint history.

Don't. do. anything. to. the. dog. Just don't.

Look up your local noise ordinances / dog noise ordinances. Keep calling those responsible for enforcing it (In Versailles Co, probably the Sheriff's Dept?) and complaining.

Go out of your way to look for the most peaceable resolution possible.

-J-

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    Get one of those ultrasonic emitters that people can't hear, but dogs can. Turn it on and point it at your neighbors house. Make that dog bark CONSTANTLY...day and night and I bet your neighbors will do something about that dog themselves.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Since you work at home, and the noise interferes with your work, their dog's barking is costing you income/revenue. A letter from your attorney seeking compensation for lost income and damage to your business might get your neighbor's attention.

hANNAbONE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Des Moines, Iowa
    ...all good answers here - oh, and BTW I am a dog LOVER. So that clears up any miscue about that I have it in for any/all dogs.

I'll try the local LEO approach (*although my wife of just a few months has already wrung that towel dry it seems*)

If that doesn't work I'll canvas the neighborhood and get some other peeps into the fray.

If that doesn't work I'll be findin' me a new blowgun and start "practicing from a distance" B^)

Thanks for your expertise, laddys.!!.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    You might try calling the Prosecutor's officer yourself. Tell them you can't get any help. Maybe they can file the charges themselves. Start documentating everything. Any calls to the local PD and times that the dog is barking.. If you have a video camera, a little video evidence wouldn't hurt.

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    had a problem like this with a neighbor when we lived in hobart a few years ago, if you live inside city/town limits, call code enforcement!!! they will issue fines for noise ordinance violations, tho the neighbor will likely be able to have his loud annoying dog(s) out during the day, if it not quieted by evening, they will be ticketed. hobart was 50 the first time and it doubled every offence after that, stopped them pretty quick.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    The squeaky wheel gets the grease

The squeaky wheel gets the grease. If it is bothering you that much chances are its annoying others as well. The more complaints received the faster they will come and issue a ticket.

My dog has common sense and only barks at something real, no complaints in eleven years. My mother visits me and brings this annoying West Highland Terrier which barks at the wind constantly - mindlessly. Even though its not my dog and not here that often after the first neighbor talked to me I bought a bark collar for the furry white pain in the butt.

You need your neighbors to bring pressure to bear as well as you speaking to your neighbor.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    My mother once had a neighbor whose dog would bark and keep her up at night. She tried talking to the neighbor and got nowhere. Finally one 2AM she went and banged on their bedroom window. When they came out she told them if she could not sleep neither could they. Dog was gone the next day.

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    That happened to someone I know. Their dog was barking incessantly while they were away and didn't know it. Their neighbor told them about it, talked to them about it, finally contacted animal control and they ended up having to get rid of the dog because it wouldn't shut up when they left. Shame.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The Fishers, Indiana police stopped enforcing ordinances against barking dogs awhile back.

They even call and WARN the dog owner that they're coming so they can quiet the dog before they get there, just to make the complainant look stupid.

I have a neighbor with 3 dogs that at times bark at nothing for hours on end.

One day they barked straight from 10:00am in the morning to after 11:00pm at night.

I even put a camcorder on a tripod for the last hour to document it.

Called the Fishers Police through the dispatcher in Noblesville.

About 1 minute before the Fishers Police officer showed up, they mysteriously stopped barking.

Then the FPD officer came on with the "well, they aren't barking now...!" in a wise assed tone of voice.
    And began to go on with the crap how I'm wasting his time...

I REPLIED,
    "that's funny, they stopped barking just before you got here. I even have a time stamped video on this camcorder that proves it...."

I SHOWED him a segment.

Then he sheepishly replied that he had ACTUALLY CALLED the dog owner just before he got to my house to warn that he was coming!!!

That's a helluva way to run a police department.

Top Bottom