• ...and so much more!
  • Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Took my new Springer Range Officer to the range today. Came with 2 - 7 rnd magazines. I picked up the last Ed Brown 8 rnd stainless steel magazine at my local range. Everything worked as it should.

Question for 1911 shooters/experts. I have heard magazine choice can affect reliability and feed issues. What is a good value magazine for my pistol? Not really onto spending $45 per magazine if I can reliably avoid it. I am thinking there is a good compromise between performance and price in 1911 magazines. I did find some new 8 rnd Colt SS mags on GB for $16 each shipped and bought 2 just to try.

Thanks in advance.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

Jon Smith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2021
    Warsaw
    I use Wilson Combat 47D, 8 round mags. With one in the tube gives me 9 rds in my EDC.
    I'm afraid that I am not much help since I purchased mine at the NRA annual meeting in Indianapolis a few years ago.
    I cannot remember what the cost was but I remember that it was well below the local guys and the mail order prices. (so I bought 8)
    As far as what mags work best, I cannot speak for others but I use these exclusively in my Kimber carry gun. I only use it enough to stay competent since it has an alloy frame. Maybe a few mags a month, after the initial 200 rds.
    My range/fun gun is a Ruger 1911 stainless. It is a workhorse. I use a wide range of mags in it.
    I've been fortune enough to have picked up several used or surplus mags over the years at the Indy 1500.
    Combine those with the mags that came with the Kimber and the Ruger and I'm staying ahead of the curve, so far.

So I guess I'm not much help, just flapping my gums...well sorta. I have not had any perfomance issues with any of these mags.

Hope you can find some bargains out there. A word of caution though, as the standard mags age they tend to crack at the ears up top, (feed lips)

Have a great ange day!

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    I've been very happy with MecGar mags in other forms. I've been very pleased with the Wilson Combat 47D mags for the 1911 form.

If you're pushing 230g RN through 'em I'd expect most mags to function as designed. When you start changing weights (and therfore OAL/Ogive dimensions) some mags will present that cartridge to the feed ramps differently than designed.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    I've been very happy with MecGar mags in other forms. I've been very pleased with the Wilson Combat 47D mags for the 1911 form.

If you're pushing 230g RN through 'em I'd expect most mags to function as designed. When you start changing weights (and therfore OAL/Ogive dimensions) some mags will present that cartridge to the feed ramps differently than designed.
    Thanks,
    for now just using 230g RN through it. Once I have 200-300 roumds through it I will start playing with other loads to see what it likes best.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    One thing to watch out for on Springfields (and perhaps others), if you want to try competitions where capacity is a factor: some brands of 8-round extended 1911 mags won't lock into place under a closed slide when loaded to full capacity (ie, when you perform a "tactical" reload when the gun isn't empty yet). And/or, the gun won't strip the top round if you do manage to hammer it into place until it clicks.

Test this beforehand, with any mags you take to competitions. Stuff 8 in it and see if it will seat in a closed gun. One brand may work; another may not. I thought all brands were the same, mixed them up, and it made an idiot out of me on the first couple USPSA matches I went to.

One brand I found to have no problems in this regard, was Chip McCormick shooting star mags. That is what I use exclusively now on my Springfield R.O. single stack gun.

I initially bought a bunch of Wilson Combat 8 rounders, and had terrible luck with them locking in place under a closed slide. What is the point of 8-round mags, if you have to down-load them by 1 round to get them to seat and strip? They are all collecting lint in the bottom of my shooting bag now (I need to just take them out).

Last edited:

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield

If you want cheap magazines there is Pro Mag. They are probably very unreliable and jam o matics.
    Not looking for cheap, looking for value.

One brand I found to have no problems in this regard, was Chip McCormick shooting star mags. That is what I use exclusively now on my Springfield R.O. single stack gun.

I have read good reviews of these and seem to be reasonably priced ($25-30). Glad to hear they work well. Will give them a try.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Never had a issue with CMC shooting stars it’s what I EDC in my DW.

I prefer the 8 rd magazine never had a problem but with a DW it shouldn’t have a problem.

Top Bottom