• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    This eve (Thursday Aug 9) about 10:30 pm I got a call from my daughter saying her car died driving through about a foot of water in a rainstorm on the south side of Indy near Fountain sq. There she was in the middle of the street near Shelby and Morris. She said 2 squad cars ignored her waving for help and a third fire safety vehicle did the same. None of the vehicles had lights or sirens going. She thinks that because of the downpour they didn't want to get wet. I know that a few LEO's read this group. Come on guys. I'd like to know that in a pinch I can count on you guys offering more than traffic tickets. Especially to a young female in a spotty neighborhood. What have you to say for yourselves and to my daughter??
    There's no law against doing something stupid (driving through a flooded street), but if there was would they have stopped to write a citation?

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    There is no question it is because they didn't want to get wet.

Shame on them. The good ones stop...You probably won't get too many responses here, because most of the LEO on this site would have at least pulled up behind your daughter and turned on their lights. I thought that was part of their job, but I could be wrong.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    A lot of times you have to travel through a spotty neighborhood to get to your destination. Have you been in a car before?

I'm just bringing up a point which seems to have been missed. If it's a spotty neighborhood, perhaps she was lucky to have seen LEO at all.

Also, why is it always women that stall out in "high" water areas?

:D

Seriously though, sketchy area tell her to stay the hell in the vehicle and call for a tow.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    As a rookie, I once made the mistake of driving to my mom's (in the squad), in Cumberland, for dinner during a pretty bad snow storm. I stopped for at least 6 different times for stranded motorist, and arrived 2 hours late..... yeah, lesson learned.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    I'm just bringing up a point which seems to have been missed. If it's a spotty neighborhood, perhaps she was lucky to have seen LEO at all.

Also, why is it always women that stall out in "high" water areas?

:D

Seriously though, sketchy area tell her to stay the hell in the vehicle and call for a tow.

IMPD Southeast District is @ Shelby & Morris.. I'm sure she saw a lot of police cars.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    They were IMPD... 'nuf said.

honestly why do we have to paint them all the same for the sins of a few..

My niece was broken down at emerson & raymond on a Sunday morning, not only did an officer stop with lights behind us (I was there trying to get her going) he helped us get it going, all while OFF DUTY

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    I appreciate the spirit of the post op, time to expect more than the least people are willing to give.

Quick, off topic rant: As frustrated as many of us are with the status quo of politics, crime, government regulation of our lives and the moral degradition in this country it is disheartening(yet total understandable) to see some of the off the wall, snide, shallow remarks that are made to legit issues that are posted on this forum.

Citizen711

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Fishers
    honestly why do we have to paint them all the same for the sins of a few..

My niece was broken down at emerson & raymond on a Sunday morning, not only did an officer stop with lights behind us (I was there trying to get her going) he helped us get it going, all while OFF DUTY

Had a similar experience with Fishers PD a month or so ago. My daughter's car broke down on I-69 at about 106th St. By the time I got there, one of the senior officers had pulled up behind her (they were both on the shoulder) and turned his lights on as a safety measure. I was glad to have him there while I got her back up and running, and he seemed happy to do it.

diavic

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I saw a guy yesterday driving down Morris on the rim. No tire just a rim. He drove right past an IMPD car. The officer pulled into Manns grill, got out of the car and went inside.

I feel that he should have been stopped ticketed, and his truck towed away.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    A few years ago, during some heavy flooding in the Louisville area, the Mayor got on the news and nearly had a meltdown about people driving into deep water and getting stranded, which then costs the city money if they have to roll rescue. It was very funny to watch, as he was visibly angry about so many people doing dumb stuff.

Moral of the story is, if you are unsure about how deep the water is in the road, just don't drive through it. It can be very dangerous for the driver, and the ones who have to come out and fish you out.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    IMPD Southeast District is @ Shelby & Morris.. I'm sure she saw a lot of police cars.

they were coming off-duty and didn't want overtime?

that time of day is the busiest for the district. cars rolling past were likely on their way to a call, which takes priority over a stranded motorist. As for overtime, even if an officer did stop to help after he was off, he wouldn't have gotten overtime. that's just the way it is at the moment. if she was stuck in a foot of water, there wasn't anything the officer could do for her anyway.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    one more comment about the citations.....:laugh: good luck finding a district officer (not a traffic unit) who drives around writing citations. we are so horribly under-staffed that nobody really cares about writing tickets in the districts.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Had a similar experience with Fishers PD a month or so ago. My daughter's car broke down on I-69 at about 106th St. By the time I got there, one of the senior officers had pulled up behind her (they were both on the shoulder) and turned his lights on as a safety measure. I was glad to have him there while I got her back up and running, and he seemed happy to do it.

'cause they're not taking calls :dunno:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    There is no question it is because they didn't want to get wet.

Shame on them. The good ones stop...You probably won't get too many responses here, because most of the LEO on this site would have at least pulled up behind your daughter and turned on their lights. I thought that was part of their job, but I could be wrong.

On the other hand, maybe the girl didnt want to get wet walking through the 1 foot of water she shouldnt have drove through in the first place. All a police officer can do is call for a wrecker anyways, its not like she needed "rescued"

Also, i think you would be hard pressed to fine a fireman thats afraid to get wet, its kind of a HUGE part of our job.

they were coming off-duty and didn't want overtime?

Already been answered but ill say it again. Cops that stop off duty dont get any overtime.

They were IMPD... 'nuf said.

Seriously? There are FAR more IMPD that are good than bad.

'cause they're not taking calls :dunno:

Chances are they are probably already on a call. Not very many runs require lights and sirens.

This is also why the fire guys didnt stop, they were probably going non emergent to a false alarm or something. or figured that if she DID need help she would dial 911

Why would ANY public safety stop? All we can do is hold her hand while we walk her out of the water and call a wrecker. I think she wanted someone to stop so she could slide into their vehicle and not get her shoes and socks all wet. (which we only do if there is a life hazard)

Last thought as well. She got herself into that position. IF she needed law enforcement or fire/ems she can call 911 and someone WILL come. If it wasnt important enough that she call 911 then it probably wasnt important enough for fire or police to stop and they probably assessed the situation like that anyways.

If water is only 1 foot deep any car can get through it IF they drive slow. Chances are she thought if she drove through it fast enough she would be OK, but thats the last way you want to do it.... drive slow and dont let the water get pushed up over the hood.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Not to disparage your daughter, or anything OP....but this is a prime example of what happens when we depend on government to come to our rescue.

Top Bottom