• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I would recommend a double-action revolver in .357 Magnum caliber with 4" bbl. as a first handgun. They are accurate, simple to operate and very versatile. You can shoot light .38 Special loads to practice and use .357 Magnum ammo for hunting or personal defense. Once you've mastered the double-action trigger pull, it will be a snap transitioning to a semi-auto.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I've been looking around and I think I have it narrowed down to a few choices. The Glock 19 comes pretty highly recommended, the only thing that worries me is the lack of a grip or manual safety. Obviously I don't plan on doing anything stupid, but I am new and can't rule out that it may happen, and just having the trigger safety on the Glock worries me a bit.

I have also been looking at the xD series, however I'm not really sure what would be the most comparable in size/concealability to the Glock 19. For what it's worth, I shot the Glock 17 and the xd9 sc at the range, and liked the xD a bit more. I think I'd like something in between the two as far as size though. As far as I can tell though, the Glock sounds to be a bit more reliable, which is nice since this will most likely be my only gun for a while.

Don't worry about the lack of safties on the XD and Glock.

Don't worry about the XD's reliability - it is uber reliable.

Since you are looking for "one gun to do it all" then either the XD or Glock will fit the bill.

S&W M&P are nice too.

Size wise:

The XD "Tactical" the XD(M) and G17 are about the same size.

The 4" "Service" XD and the M&P are a bit bigger than the G19. The G19, I think is the perfect compromise in size, but I still bought the 4" XD-40 instead.

Of the 3 above the M&P was the most accurate for me, the XD fit my hand the best.

Then there's the G26, XD9sc, and the M&P compact, and you're right, I wish too that there was something in between.

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    Go with the XD man! I love mine! And it has burped lots of rounds without a hiccup. And I love the 1911 style grip safety. Its very natural feeling. And there are 2 physical indicators that you can feel. 1- for a chambered round and 1- for a cocked slide. (Big points many dont consider) And did I mention accessories and holsters? My god there are a bunch of options for these! I went simple and got a Don-Hume IWB holster and 18rd mac-gar mags. (these look and fit just like the normal mags except they are black) I would love a lasermax but not willing to spend that much for a cool toy....lol But yeah go XD!

When ya wanna upgrade up to amazingly accurate and indestructible get a CZ-75 or a Browning Hi-Power. Or A Sig If you only want indestructible and dont care about accuracy

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Posted this over at THR but thought I'd get some input here as well.

I am 21 and am just getting into guns. I went to the range last weekend for the first time and had a great time. I'm looking to purchase my first handgun, but I'm going into my last year of college and will (hopefully) be in medical school for 4 years after that, so money will be pretty tight for a while. So I'm looking for something relatively inexpensive (~500$ range) that can be used for CC, home defense, target practice, etc. Basically something that can do it all.

I've been looking around and I think I have it narrowed down to a few choices. The Glock 19 comes pretty highly recommended, the only thing that worries me is the lack of a grip or manual safety. Obviously I don't plan on doing anything stupid, but I am new and can't rule out that it may happen, and just having the trigger safety on the Glock worries me a bit.

I have also been looking at the xD series, however I'm not really sure what would be the most comparable in size/concealability to the Glock 19. For what it's worth, I shot the Glock 17 and the xd9 sc at the range, and liked the xD a bit more. I think I'd like something in between the two as far as size though. As far as I can tell though, the Glock sounds to be a bit more reliable, which is nice since this will most likely be my only gun for a while.

I am still open to other suggestions, but since I'm trying to narrow down the search I've tried to limit it to these. I am aware that there are tons of xD vs glock threads, and I have read a bunch of them, but is there any 9mm that would best fit my needs as kind of an all purpose gun? Thanks in advance
    {emphasis added}

I am going to throw into the fray a round I haven't heard mentioned yet in this thread....the 9x18 Makarov.

There are several military surplus guns in this caliber - the original Russian Makarov, the CZ-82, and the Polish P-64, to name the most popular ones.

The CZ-82 is going for about $200-$230. The P-64 is running around $160.

9x18 ammo is ~$14 for a box of 50. Yes, it is FMJ, usually milsurp ammo. That's real good stuff for target practice and plinking. Several companies make self defense rounds, I personally prefer the Powerball rounds.

You can check out these sites for more info....

Prices:
    gun-deals.com - User-Submitted Gun & Ammunition Deals

info:
    Makarov.com

Collecting and Shooting the Military Surplus Rifle (2006) - Surplusrifle.com

Collecting and Shooting the Military Surplus Rifle (2006) - Surplusrifle.com

I personally carry the P-64, and have a CZ-82 as the home/vehicle/camping defense handgun.

Just thought I would mention them.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    The Glock 19 is a great choice for 9mm, but I am partial to the XD's because they fit my hand better. I have had no trouble with feeding (EVER!) and I own 2 sc XD's, in 9mm and .40.

I also like the Glock 26 with the mag extension. It's nice and small. You can carry it all day and not know it's there. But it sounds like you prefer a compact to a sub compact.

The Kel Tec's are also very light and reliable. We just got a .380 (smaller than the palm of my hand!) and the slightly larger 9mm. We put 300 rounds through each one this weekend and had no trouble. But they are light. The 9mm is going to feel like a .40 when you shoot it.

I mean no disrespect to Dogman, but I have had so many problems with the Hi-point pistols, I won't let my students use them on the range any longer. Rarely can a student get through a magazine without one or more malfunctions. (Nor can I!) But he is right as far as price, and not everyone can spend big $$ on a gun.

But the XD or G19 are both fantastic, reliable all-purpose handguns. Good luck!

WHRJeff

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    South Bend
    I would have to vote for the G26.

I would buy the Glock 26 (G26) as well. I had one then bought a G27 (.40 cal). The G26 (9mm) gives you the sights, accuracy, and fun to range shoot that most full sizes do but in a subcompact model. Also, you can conceal carry pretty well and it is a great home defense handgun.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I would buy the Glock 26 (G26) as well. I had one then bought a G27 (.40 cal). The G26 (9mm) gives you the sights, accuracy, and fun to range shoot that most full sizes do but in a subcompact model. Also, you can conceal carry pretty well and it is a great home defense handgun.

The 26 is great... I own one, but the XD SC eats the G26's lunch at any distance. While defense shooting is up close and personal, at 60 feet it's hard to keep the 26 on a head target while bench shooting. The XD SC stays on at 50 yards! Still, in the summer time I find myself carrying my G26 the most because of it's size.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    The 26 is great... I own one, but the XD SC eats the G26's lunch at any distance. While defense shooting is up close and personal, at 60 feet it's hard to keep the 26 on a head target while bench shooting. The XD SC stays on at 50 yards! Still, in the summer time I find myself carrying my G26 the most because of it's size.

O'RLY?

I submit that it's the shooter, not the gun ;)

YouTube - Glock 26

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I just picked up a Bersa 9UC for $380 and like it a lot. They have a good reputation and seem to be pretty solid. It feels good and shoots very well. It would definitely make a good all around first gun, especially with a tight budget.

homeless

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    indy
    Well man you can grab a glock, XD, M&P, Taurus, or a CZ and have yourself a fine gun. As long as it fits your hands, eyes, life style you will be covered.

Or you can go find your self an FN, Sig, HK, or Hi-Power and have yourself a real weapon.

Screw it man, just PM me or any of the other guys that posted that are in your area. Every one on here is looking for an excuse to show off their guns, go to the range, or the gun store. Just ask you there will be someone that will be more than willing to help you out.

JimR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    W. Lafayette
    Has anyone mentioned the Glock 19? Just more confirmation on the matter. Glocks are reliable and economical. As for the safety issue, the more external safeties one has the more complacent one can become.

gregr507

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Fishers
    Thank you to everyone who replied, just thought I'd stop in and let you all know that I am now the proud owner of a new Glock 19! I drove down to PSS this morning and picked one up with night sights. I'm pretty happy about it and can't wait to go shoot it. One question I had, is there any particular type of solvent/oil that is best for cleaning it? Also, is it bad that I still kind of want an xD as well? :D

btw to those of you who PM'd me, sorry I can't answer you until I have 10 posts apparently, please don't think I am ignoring you

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    One question I had, is there any particular type of solvent/oil that is best for cleaning it? Also, is it bad that I still kind of want an xD as well? :D

Clean a glock? pfft.

no seriously whatever you have on hand should work fine, hoppes no. 9 butches bore shine, etc.

and yes if you buy the blasphemous xd you will forever be ridiculed by the perfection of the glock,

But seriously the more the merrier, I'll own an XD someday but I prefer the glocks the Xd's are good serviceable guns and I would not feel unarmed carrying one, I just don't like the grip safeties and few other features, that said they are nearly as great a firearm as the glock. its kinda like chevy and ford everyone has an opinion that one is better then the other, but at the end of the day they can both work well.

Top Bottom