• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I've basically had it with the folks around me who refuse to contain their dogs. I've put over a hundred miles on the bike since I bought it last week, and the one constant seems to be nitwits who let their dogs run out into the street and chase cars/cyclists/runners.

It didn't bother me much until yesterday, when my wife and I were out for a ride and 3 separate, large dogs came after us and actually got close enough to attack. One yellow lab required a few kicks to the head to get him away from me, and as I was doing that I saw another dog going after my wife in a similar fashion. I'm not afraid of the mutts myself, but when she got threatened, it woke something primal. It felt like my bike just leaped into high gear and I charged down on that dog like a bat out of hell. It saw me coming and stopped in mid-bark, turned tail and ran. Later we passed another farm, and a dog came out at us, again within biting/kicking distance, but I got between it and her, yelling at her to GO.

After that, I was royally pissed, and it's only because I love dogs generally that I agreed to go shopping for some pepper spray instead of just shooting the damn things. We stocked up on a whole bunch of spray, in sizes good for carrying on the bikes, and I am making it my personal mission to educate every damned dog on my various routes. Bark at me from your yard, and we're good. Cross that line into the road, and your ass is mine.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I carry a bottle of ammonia. I took a 20oz pop bottle, drilled a hole in the cap, and it rides in my second water bottle holder. It squirts a ragged stream and I don't really aim as I ride by, I just spray behind me as I go by. At home I replace the cap with the hole with a regular cap to keep the ammonia from evaporating. Sometimes I use bleach. I used to dilute it but it wasn't very effective.

MUCH cheaper than pepper spray. I have the same policy: bark at me from the yard all they want, but come into the street and they get gassed. Usually only takes one or two days of getting hit with a face full of irritant before they learn to keep their distance and most of them stop chasing me.

Owners always claim to "love" little Fifi who they let run free, but then blame a driver when the unrestrained dog gets run over. I don't hold it against the dogs mostly, they are just doing what dogs do, but I'd love to gas the owners instead.

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    Training. We have had several dogs out at the farm over the years, and none of them were allowed to chase. They died of old age, except for one. Yes, they are trainable.

s-works

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I do alot of road cycling in and out of the country. I have been chased by a few dogs but it is a rarity. More common is mangled rabbits or squirrels in my spokes.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Training. We have had several dogs out at the farm over the years, and none of them were allowed to chase. They died of old age, except for one. Yes, they are trainable.

Um...I really don't think he has the option to train neighbor's/stranger's dogs... :n00b: :dunno:

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Um...I really don't think he has the option to train neighbor's/stranger's dogs... :n00b: :dunno:
    It would definitely take more time than I have, and would look kind of weird when I show up in their front lawn with treats and a clicker.

On the other hand, pepper spray is training of a sort. As is the Glock, if it comes to that. I read a few stories from other cyclists who said that occasionally you'll find one that just doesn't care about the spray.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    I carry a bottle of ammonia. I took a 20oz pop bottle, drilled a hole in the cap, and it rides in my second water bottle holder. It squirts a ragged stream and I don't really aim as I ride by, I just spray behind me as I go by. At home I replace the cap with the hole with a regular cap to keep the ammonia from evaporating. Sometimes I use bleach. I used to dilute it but it wasn't very effective.

MUCH cheaper than pepper spray. I have the same policy: bark at me from the yard all they want, but come into the street and they get gassed. Usually only takes one or two days of getting hit with a face full of irritant before they learn to keep their distance and most of them stop chasing me.

I like the 20 oz. bottle idea. I carry pepper spray but having the 20 oz. bottle in the 2nd water bottle carrier would be easier to handle. reps

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009

Yeah, by gassing them, I've trained most of the dogs along my route not to chase me, or to at least keep a good distance :D The problem with living in the country is that there's always new dogs brought in.

I do alot of road cycling in and out of the country. I have been chased by a few dogs but it is a rarity. More common is mangled rabbits or squirrels in my spokes.

CHIPMUNKS:xmad: They are like little suicide bombers.

In some several thousand miles of riding my 7 mile daily route, I've never encountered anything but dogs. At least once a week out of 4-5 rides a week, I get chased. About once a month a new dog comes close enough to get gassed. Had my boots nipped at twice before I started carrying ammonia. I did startle a deer once, but she ran off well before I got near. I dodge turtles occasionally, but I'm not too worried about getting chased by them ;)

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    In some several thousand miles of riding my 7 mile daily route, I've never encountered anything but dogs. At least once a week out of 4-5 rides a week, I get chased. About once a month a new dog comes close enough to get gassed. Had my boots nipped at twice before I started carrying ammonia. I did startle a deer once, but she ran off well before I got near. I dodge turtles occasionally, but I'm not too worried about getting chased by them ;)
    Saw a rattlesnake on the road the other day, but just went to the other side. Came by later and he'd been smushed. Also startled a deer once.

Just came back from a quick out-and-back. Took the same road as yesterday, and gave that yellow lab a good soaking. I think I used an entire can on him. His partner in crime appears to have gotten the idea after just one shot on the way out, because on the way back he stayed 10 feet inside the yard. The lab kept coming, so I kept giving it to him. I'm going to stick to that route for a while, until I'm sure he gets it, then on to the other dogs in the area.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Agreed. I don't know what type of canisters you bought, but according to a few non-gun toting acquaintances, these pepper spray guns are easy to aim and reload-able. Might be easier for you and Mrs.Fletch to manipulate while steering a bike... :dunno:
    NICE! I was looking at the Kimber version of this at the store. I'm going to try a bunch of options until I figure out what works best for me, including Shibumi's idea. I'll let you know how it goes. :yesway:

s-works

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Lol..my wife is having a facebook fight with some girl she knows who thinks bikes should stay on the sidewalk. I for one cant ride my bike 25 mph+ on the sidewalk. I honestly run into more idiot drivers than I do dogs, chipmunks, and rabbits combined.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Lol..my wife is having a facebook fight with some girl she knows who thinks bikes should stay on the sidewalk. I for one cant ride my bike 25 mph+ on the sidewalk. I honestly run into more idiot drivers than I do dogs, chipmunks, and rabbits combined.

Isn't there a regulation that bikes are supposed to be on the street? Sidewalks are for pedestrians and wheeled vehicles use the street?

LOL at FB fight. I can relate.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009

What's a sidewalk? :D

In Indiana, bicycles are required to use the road and most municipalities have ordnances agains riding on a sidewalk. Where I live it's not an option as there is no sidewalk within 20 miles.

Dogs are my number one problem. I've only occasionally had problems with drivers (like 2 issues in the last several years), but that's in part because on my 3.5 mile stretch I ride round trip I'll encounter maybe 2-3 vehicles. I try to be very aware of other vehicles and I'll make sure to not impede them. I wouldn't ride in the city for exercise because when I live in town other drivers were my biggest problem (and again, I try to be very courteous while on the road on a bicycle).

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Sidewalk? What is this "sidewalk" to which you refer? :dunno:

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    What's a sidewalk? :D

In Indiana, bicycles are required to use the road and most municipalities have ordnances agains riding on a sidewalk. Where I live it's not an option as there is no sidewalk within 20 miles.

Dogs are my number one problem. I've only occasionally had problems with drivers (like 2 issues in the last several years), but that's in part because on my 3.5 mile stretch I ride round trip I'll encounter maybe 2-3 vehicles. I try to be very aware of other vehicles and I'll make sure to not impede them. I wouldn't ride in the city for exercise because when I live in town other drivers were my biggest problem (and again, I try to be very courteous while on the road on a bicycle).

When I biked to work daily, about a decade ago, dogs were more of a problem than cars, mainly because of the times of my commute; in at 6:00 AM, home at 3:30 PM.
    One day, I wore a pellet pistol in small-of-the-back holster to pop a few dogs. The pellet gun looked just like a 6 inch Colt Python. One car followed me for three blocks before going completely into the other lane to pass me.
    I sure got respect THAT day.

I don't ride much since cell phones became popular.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    When I used to ride a bike for transportation in Florida, I got intentionally run off the road and had people throw things at me from their moving cars. I never had trouble with dogs. When I rode a bicycle for transportation in a small Texas border town, I was chased and snapped at by a pack of dogs in an undeveloped area. A couple of rounds from my pistol seemed to take the starch out of them.

s-works

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Indianapolis
    My Zipp Rims only see the sidewalk in extreme situations. Proudly made in Speedway Indiana!

Zipp404.JPG

Top Bottom