• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigkeger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    With everyone talking of Go-bags and the like, I was wondering if anyone's ever trained to fight with with one?

Ever tried to re-load your weapon of choice from one?

Ever done anything more than put things in it for when and if SHTF and tell people that you have one?

Last edited:

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    BOB

I was wondering if anyone's ever trained to fight with with one? Like a big-woman-purse-fight, swingin' and swearin', pulling hair and cussin'? Man, haven't seen one of those in years!

Ever done anything more than put things in it for when and if SHTF and tell people that you have one? Yes. If you'd taken the time to read back a few months, you would see that many of us here use them quite regularly outdoors, over-nights, trial runs, and long hunting trips in the mountains (me).

I'm just returned form Idaho shooting birds, and the bag went with. It goes with me up the mountain, and with me back down the mountain. If I broke my leg in a rock fall, like my brother did 4 years ago, we'd strike up a quick camp, and wait until morning to get out.

If there was a snow -squall that trapped us behind a pass for a few days or weeks, we'd build a shelter, stay dry, (reasonable) warm and (sorta) comfortable. With some wild game, we wouldn't even be very hungry.

Can you bag do that?

Have you done it with your bag this year?

Has your wife or son done it with your bag, in case you're down or dead?

I can say: Yes, Yes, and Yes, and I hope you can too.

Merry Christmas

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    My gear is my gear. It needs no name and I use it year round.

The gear you know how to use is the gear that works. I use it a shoots, hunting, fishing, camping, family vacations, day trips, picnics, long drives.

Build your gear in layers and you can go from a day in the woods to a winter base camp. But for the record, my day hike gear can carry me for days. If you are not ready to go over night then you are really not ready, like 6birds posted above, injuires and bad weather happen.

My infamous moment came with 40 below temps and over 24 hours away from an emergency room. One ER Doctor lost a bet to the other when he bet a quarter my leg was broken. Other Doc took the bet because, in his words, "he walked in, his leg is not broken." He was right, not even cracked, just torn up a bit.

You gotta be ready and you have to know how to use your gear before you really need it. First aid and land navigation training are more important then weapons.

Last edited:

Bigkeger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    That is exactly why I was asking. Although I don't get the chance to camp and hike as much as I would like, I feel that I am prepared to the best of my ability.

It just so happens that the three people that do use their "go bags" often and know what works and what doesn't may be the only ones in this whole forum who do use them regularly. And that my friends is the point. A lot of people have them, almost no one knows how to use them.

In the last year, I have overheard several people at shops locally talking about go bags and how they are ready. Yet every time I ask if the have ever used it they look at me like I am a retard.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Amen Bigkeger, my goal is to put ours to the test come springtime as I just started getting the kids into camping.

We'll buy more and build as we learn. I can't say I'm "ready", but I am more than last year.

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    Amen Bigkeger, my goal is to put ours to the test come springtime as I just started getting the kids into camping.

We'll buy more and build as we learn. I can't say I'm "ready", but I am more than last year.

Camping is a great time to test your bag. That's what I'm planning on doing next year. Make sure, though, that you do some back country camping. Head down to the Hoosier National Forest, pick a trail, and start walking. Find yourself a source of water and fuel, and that's where your camp site is. If it's ten minutes from your car, that's ok, as long as you don't go back to your car for anything. (Emergency situations don't count. If you break your leg, get to the car.) At this location, build your camp, purify your water, fix dinner, and see what you've forgotten.

Another great way to test out your bag is simply by making camp in your backyard. Gear up, walk out your back door, and see how quickly you can build a fire. Mark out a designated fire starting zone and have your spouse place items in that location. You can only use those items, plus what is in your pack, to start a fire. My suggestions would be that wood would have to be in this location, but it could be anything from well seasoned, dry to the bone, perfectly split wood to a big chunk of wood that has been left out in the rain for two days.

Make it a challenge, but remember to make it realistic. Tossing two little sticks in the zone and saying "That's all you get" isn't realistic because in pretty much all of Indiana you can find wood for a fire. At the same time, don't make it too easy either. When you get your fire started the test is over, and it's your spouse's turn now.

For those without a spouse, find someone on this board to practice with. Check out the mutual support group thread and see who is in your area. But, whatever you do, find a way to practice in a realistic environment.

RandyN2075

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    South of Greenwood
    I'm impressed...I grew up hunting, fishing, camping and plinking. I'm not so concerned about forgetting something as what to leave behind. I have little doubt of my ablility to overcome the natural distain of eating nasty critters, creating shelter and drinking water purified with tablets but to go out and "test" it....again, let me say, I'm impressed. At 51 years of age, I'm more concerned about the physical requirements or getting diarrhea (and pack meds just for that reason). After all that, I will admit that I need to test my new ferro rods for starting a fire and put together my things to maximize portability.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    i love my tools (aka toys :) ) so i test them weekly. i by fire starters and save my dryer lint and coat it in vasoline. then i go out walk my dog off into the woods w/ my daughter and try to start little fires. i also attempt to gather kindling and start them that way.

as far as my bag goes i walk around wearing it all the time just so i am use to how it sits how much it ways all that good stuff. i am constantly doing magazine changes and practicing transitioning between rifle to pistol. i said it in a post the other day. you can have all the best rifles,pistols,and knives in the world but if you don't practice with them they are useless cause murphy's law will kick in. its guaranteed that when you need your rifle the first time for some reason its going to go click and you damn sure need to know what to do.

lol my wife says constantly wtf are you doing, your crazy how many times a week do you sit there and load that gun change magazines and carry it around. i also do it out back where i can actually shoot in the process but thats just me from the army my when i was a squad leader i use to tell my soldiers all the time (infantry boy) a regular person trains until they do it right. A professional trains until they can't do it wrong. i stole the quote from my dad who no doubt got it from somebody else but i definitely believe it to be true. but i tell you what when it came time for me and mine to search houses in iraq and afghanistan i knew i could trust everyone of them to do it exactly as we had trained to cause it was so ingrained into them.

sorry for the rant but i meet ppl everyday who think ohh i go to the range once a couple months or blah blah but they never practice drawing their pistol from the holster and firing into a target to see what it will be like under stress.

either way folks do what you can to train and do it as often as you can.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    good post Zoub!
    Thanks.

My first "test" was in 1971, age 8. Some of the gear I was given that year was what was strapped to my Dad in Vietnam. I STILL use some of it to this day or modern verions of the same gear. Buy good stuff, buy what works. Copy others AKA fake it until it is real.

He started in the Arctic circle in 1949, also made a few trips through Korea, Vietnam and other places.

Fire, shelter and water. It is amazing what you can do with a small saw, paracord and heavy fishing line. FYI best value is the Fiskars cheap hand saw often seen in Hardware stores around $10. Light weight, collapsible, total terror on limbs and small trunks. While I always have a heavy knife, a saw is tops for cutting wood...........that is what it was made for and speed is always an issue in surival.

The best scenario is it ony takes a short while to walk 2 miles but it would take days to crawl it back. When my daughter was 8 or 9 I took her for a day hike on snow day. We walked back a ways in the woods with our packs, snow was getting heavy, sun was setting. I sat down and said, now what happens if I am out cold or unable to walk. The best odds of everyone surviving were staying put until help came. We have water, how fast can you make shelter and fire?

An excellent trainer piece of gear is the toollogic survival knife with swedish fire steel and whistel. It is awesome. It is the Glock of survial tools. Ugly and functional, same color. I also carry one and have even field dressed a deer with it just to see if I could. Yeah, I used the fiskars saw as well, afterall it rides in my pack too.

Only modification is I wrap a length of .50 cal ball patch material around the flint and it is impreganted with vaseline. Gives me about nine squares of tinder ready to go. In winter use a 5' walking stick, look for low bird nests, easy to spot. Knock one out, toss in pack. Later, place cotton tinder in it, build fire lat around it. Bingo, fire.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    wow it doesn't seem alot of ppl around here like to use there stuff to much lol. i was expecting a much larger grp of ppl to use there bags and practice, train and strive to be proficient with the kit that could definitely save them one day.

maybe the wrong title on the thread or something. definitely surprising to me

i will say it again just for anyone who didn't want to read my whole rant above

A regular person trains until they do it right............A professional trains until they can not do it WRONG...

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    yeah grunt, but you have to remember you have a few different groups.

Those who've always been ready, those who started back in Y2K and those (like me) who are just now figuring out that they need to be getting ready.

Bigkeger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Grunt, I am new to this myself like Hickman and maybe yourself. When I posed the question, I was thinking more along the lines of using the bag you have to carry whilst fighting (Combating / shooting / stabbing) someone who wants to take it from you. Unlike what 6birds said in his reply I dont expect to hit someone with my go bag like a women hitting a person with her purse, I was talking more like if you have to run like hell to get to cover or perform a mag change while MF'ers are shooting at you. Does you go bag slow you down or hinder the ability to do so?

I dont have the best rig out there I'm sure, but if I have to "Fight" all I have to do is drop my pack off of my back and I am down down to a Delta V vest that I have used in multiple classes and training exercises and I am ready to fight my way through hell with little on my that is holding me back. HIGH SPEED, LOW DRAG. SPEED, STRENGTH, ACCURACY.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    no i am definitely not new to it bigkeger. my saying still fits perfectly here. unless you were in wars and or crazy countries/situations like argentina nobody really has the opportunity to test their training. now i survived 3 tours. 2 years in iraq and a year in afghanistan in the infantry so i got lots of practice and i know what works for me and even still to this day while i am out of the military i still run around my house practicing to make sure i am up to date w/ what works for me. it sounds like you are too from the fact your saying you have been to multiple training classes with your kit.

thats why i said i am walking around my house practicing mag changes w/ my bob. so i know how to do it when shtf. again you can have all the coolest stuff but if you don't train and practice with it, its useless to you. (you say you train w/ your kit so this shouldn't be offensive to you....you don't need the best kit just the kit your best with yeah?)

either way its good your going to classes and using your kit. thats what is needed to survive. keep it up and you will be good to go, and again i wasn't trying to offend you i was just pointing out what i thought your topic was about

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    I train with mine about monthly, on average.

Same here, I have been overnight with mine 4 times on 2009, and 3 other times it was on a trip in the mountains for more than 4 days in 2009.

It's no longer an emergency bag, it's now a way of life.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    I live out of mine. Even when I am home I seem to go to it more for stuff than anywhere else.- George

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    lol mercop i do the same thing. when i am cooking i always go to my bag and get my knives out to cut up the food with. the wife is always we have knives on the counter but i like mine better. its good to at least play with your kit constantly to make sure your familiar with it at least. that way even if your not out training your still familiarizing your self with the kit you will be using when it pops off

Top Bottom