Glocks sucks even more, .45acp's going Kaboom now...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Why do people bash Glocks? If you don't like them fine but, this just seems to be a bunch of Glock haters trolling on here. I haven't done the research (nor will I spend the time to) but I'm pretty sure that there have been other manufacturers that have had a problem like this.

Seems like Glocks have a smaller crowd of fans in the middle ground ( most either love them or hate them ) than most other pistols. Now, I am a Glock fan, but I do admit there are things about them I don't like. I think many other guns feel better in my hand, there is MUCH truth to the not-so-supported barrel and oversized chamber ( 2 different issues ) in SOME calibers. Also, I don't think they are one of the better looking guns. I won't go into why I like them, but I have several reasons.

Now, I do believe that the kaboom issue is overblown. I say that because I would guess that the majority of the kabooms are caused by factory barrels while shooting reloads or rounds that have " bullet set-back ". I have reloaded for Glocks in 9mm, .40, and .357 sig and have never had an issue. I do take it serious though ( especially in .40 ), because you can easily see that in some calibers, the support is far less. I take it serious by having aftermarket barrels in calibers that I'm not happy with the support of the factory barrel. If I do shoot the factory barrel, I use a little common sense, which should be used regardless of what weapon you shoot it out of. The secret is don't load it so darn hot that you can see machining marks on the cases from your chamber, know the history of your brass, don't buy reloads from people you don't know, and watch that O.A.L. of your round.

Last edited:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Naw... Glocks aren't prone to blowing up, even with factory ammo. It's all a frigging conspiracy. The gun is perfect, cause the slogan is Glock Perfection! They wouldn't say it if it weren't true.

Wishing it were so, doesn't make it so. Blaming the ammo, doesn't disguise the fact that the same ammo doesn't blow up other guns. Blaming the operator for poor maintenance instead of the gun for a known design flaw is a serious break from reality. I seriously think there are some Glock fanboys out there that are suffering from a mental deficiency, an unhealthy love affair with their machine. See, with the rest of us if our gun has a design flaw, we holler till it gets fixed. Glock fanboys, though, they just keep drinking the koolaide, which is why their guns keep blowing up. They won't make the factory institute a simple fix for a known problem.

Glock19Dude

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Naw... Glocks aren't prone to blowing up, even with factory ammo. It's all a frigging conspiracy. The gun is perfect, cause the slogan is Glock Perfection! They wouldn't say it if it weren't true.

Wishing it were so, doesn't make it so. Blaming the ammo, doesn't disguise the fact that the same ammo doesn't blow up other guns. Blaming the operator for poor maintenance instead of the gun for a known design flaw is a serious break from reality. I seriously think there are some Glock fanboys out there that are suffering from a mental deficiency, an unhealthy love affair with their machine. See, with the rest of us if our gun has a design flaw, we holler till it gets fixed. Glock fanboys, though, they just keep drinking the koolaide, which is why their guns keep blowing up. They won't make the factory institute a simple fix for a known problem.

You talk like you are better because you don't own a Glock. I've never had a problem with mine and none of my friends have had any issues with theirs either (in 9mm, .40 or .45) I guess us "fanboys" will keep drinking our koolaide because we aren't as good as people like you. :rolleyes:

jndep3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    anybody remember ISP's trial for the old glock 22? Same there too....but for some reason, last week I just bought a Gen4 22.....hmm...hope to keep my right hand for a while.......:):

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne

As a Glock fan, I would be the first to say Glocks are far from perfect. IMO, the perfect Glock would be with the Gen 1 grip with the rail but gen 3 reinforced frame for the .357 shooters, and yes, also with a more supported chamber without compromising any reliabilty. Maybe even making it standard where they all have the 3.5 lb connector also so I don't have to spend an extra $12.00 everytime I buy a new one.

Yes, it does p*ss me off whenever I buy a Glock .40 and feel like I got to buy a aftermarket barrel so I can shoot alot of lead or reloads with the peace of mind of not having a kaboom or shortening the life of my brass. But saying that, I would be one that could give you an example first hand on not all after market barrels are as reliable as the factory as you made mention of in a earlier post. I have several barrels and have had many issues with my KKM barrels. They are too tight and also short chambered. Heck, in 9mm, I have to load the 125 gr Missouri LRN to OAL of 1.07 for the round to drop in flush with the hood. Now, all my Lone wolf barrels are great and I would agree that so far they have proven to be just as reliable as the factory.

Now, back to the .40. I have several and will defend them. I do know that there is an issue there with the chamber both being not as supported and .006-.008 larger than most, but I am aware of this and take neccesary precautions. For every 100 rounds of .40 I shoot, I shoot probably over a 1000 rounds of .357 out of these guns. There is absolutely no support issue with that factory barrel. If I have a kaboom shooting that round, I would bet it would be due to something I had done. I was told years ago when I was maybe 12 one thing I will never forget... I was told to always wear your eyes because if you shoot ENOUGH, you will eventually have a case failure, regardless if reloads or factory. It does happen. And yes, the unsuported barrel does increase the chances... But I'm not going to trade in my Glocks as long as there is a $100.00 way to eliminate this issue and end up having a very reliable gun that I can get parts for anywhere, shoot 3 calibers in, thousands of rounds a year without the worry of wearing the gun out in a few short years.

Last edited:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    snip
    But I'm not going to trade in my Glocks as long as there is a $100.00 way to eliminate this issue and end up having a very reliable gun that I can get parts for anywhere, shoot 3 calibers in, thousands of rounds a year, indefinately.

It just chaps my hide that Glock themselves won't make the change. As you've experienced with at least one brand of aftermarket barrel, and as other gun designs have shown repeatedly, an overly loose and unsupported chamber simply aren't necessary for superbly reliable functioning, and have real disadvantages.

And some OTHER people had better be nice, or I may be compelled to make observations about people who are such rabid fans they've Glockified their own arteries!!! :D

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    yup, but week after week I see others with their Glocks shooting matches... with reloads and factory barrels, blowing the doors off the competition.

As I said recently, I saw lots of XD failures at the last match I shot in while the Glocks ran and ran and ran. Daturbokat will back me on that one.

and my Glock ran better than my own heart during that match... which had two Failure to Feeds, while the Glock was PERFECT.

If only I had Glock parts... :D

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    It just chaps my hide that Glock themselves won't make the change. As you've experienced with at least one brand of aftermarket barrel, and as other gun designs have shown repeatedly, an overly loose and unsupported chamber simply aren't necessary for superbly reliable functioning, and have real disadvantages.

And some OTHER people had better be nice, or I may be compelled to make observations about people who are such rabid fans they've Glockified their own arteries!!! :D

Well, it also chaps my hide too. After spending $500.00, I shouldn't have to spend another $100 so I can have piece of mind and shoot reloads. But, being I'm a reloader and like shooting 9mm, .40, and especially .357 out of my G22's and 35's, I still love the Glock. But honestly, I'm not going to make them change the issue, and ultimately will still buy more Glocks. The G20 will be my next. One thing I forgot to mention earlier, the .40 is my least favorite caliber anyhow. Thats another reason I don't put too much worry into the issue. I shoot much more 9mm and .357 out of them and when I do shoot the .40, I do slip the KKM or wolf barrels in most of the time. Usually it depends on what load and bullet style I'm shooting or whether I want the brass. As a toolmaker working with hard metals, I see the results everyday of steel to steel impact. Thats why I am such a believer of the Glocks slide impacting polymer. I just believe that is a big part of the longevity reason that Glocks are known for. ( barring a kaboom of course).

Top Bottom