• ...and so much more!
  • Charles Church

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Andrews, IN
    Hello all!

I am going to be buying a Glock soon, and was wondering if anyone had suggestions as to what model to buy? I'm trying to decide between a Glock 17, 21, and 22. It's mainly going to be for work, but also personal carry. I have a M1911A1 now, and love it, but not sure if I want to get ANOTHER .45 ACP! SOMEBODY HELP!!

Charles

Rollo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    North Central
    Hello all!

I am going to be buying a Glock soon, and was wondering if anyone had suggestions as to what model to buy? I'm trying to decide between a Glock 17, 21, and 22. It's mainly going to be for work, but also personal carry. I have a M1911A1 now, and love it, but not sure if I want to get ANOTHER .45 ACP! SOMEBODY HELP!!

Charles

If its going to be a gun you are going to carry on a regular basis I suggest one of the sub compact models. Decent capacity while more concealable then the compact models. If you dont want to go sub compact I think the 22 is a nice balance between stopping power and controlability.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    What work will you be doing with it?

Of those you listed, the Glock 17 would be my pick. It's a full-size gun that has excellent capacity, less snappy recoil, and 9mm is cheaper and found everywhere.

The 22 is in .40, which I'm not a particular fan of.

The 21 is a large-framed Glock, and I don't care for the enlarged grip.

Charles Church

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Andrews, IN
    Your probably going to poke fun at me for this, but i'm a Security Officer with a company in Ft. Wayne(Absolute Protection Inc.), and need some kind of double action(and i'm not really a fan of the Beretta), and have always wanted a Glock, so, here I am!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Many of us will tell you that a Glock 19 is about the best one to have.

This would be the smallest I'd go if this gun also had to do "official" duty. It would be a good compromise if you found the G17 tough to conceal well.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    G19 if it will see double duty use as a carry gun.... if a duty gun only go with the 17.... if you dont mind paying alittle more for ammo and want the piece of might of a slighter larger bullet go with the same advice except in 40.
    i am NOT fond of the large frame glocks by any stretch of the imagination....

also, will you be working with other people? if so it might be wise to see what they are using so you might have the option of interchangable mags/ammo... just food for thought.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Your probably going to poke fun at me for this, but i'm a Security Officer with a company in Ft. Wayne(Absolute Protection Inc.),

No reason to poke fun.

The tough part about being "armed security" is that most companies don't train their gun-toting employees well (or at all!). I'd HIGHLY recommending getting as much professional handgun training as you can. If you're going to have a gun at your disposal (especially in a professional capacity), you owe it to your own life to be surgical with it.

:twocents:

Charles Church

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Andrews, IN
    I am also not very fond of the large frame glocks, the 21 feels alot like the Beretta! Way to big for me! Even the Slim Frame version is to big for me! I'm leaning towards the 9mm or .40S&W. I still have to look around some more and find decent prices on decent guns!

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    For our company, has to have at least a 5 inch barrel. Compact is out of the question! Sorry, forgot to mention that in initial post, my bad!

Glock 17 only has a 4 1/2" barrel, if memory serves. Not sure about the 21.

5" barrel DA pretty much limits you to something like a or Beretta or Taurus 92.

Edit: Or a used 645/4506.

Charles Church

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Andrews, IN
    As far as I know(only been with the company a little more then 2 months now), most of the Armed jobs we do is only one person. But, again, I could be wrong. And yes, I have thought about that situation/senerio, carry same weapon/caliber as your partner.

Charles Church

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Andrews, IN
    Another reason i've been leaning more towards the Glock 17 is because it's 9mm(not that I like 9mm or anything, lol), and it's cheap! .45 ACP has been busting my balls lately price wise, and .40S&W, from what i've seen, isn't much better! But in terms of stopping power, in my opinion, you can't beat a .45 ACP! That's why I carry my M1911A1 for Personal Protection! Got some Hydra Shok and SPEER in the mags! I'm most likely going to be buying the Glock this weekend(get paid friday).

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Personnally I am 9mm or 45ACP guy. I'd get a G19, if that's not an option (not listed) get the G17 but the 2 rnds won't make much difference really.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Another reason i've been leaning more towards the Glock 17 is because it's 9mm(not that I like 9mm or anything, lol), and it's cheap! .45 ACP has been busting my balls lately price wise, and .40S&W, from what i've seen, isn't much better! But in terms of stopping power, in my opinion, you can't beat a .45 ACP! That's why I carry my M1911A1 for Personal Protection! Got some Hydra Shok and SPEER in the mags! I'm most likely going to be buying the Glock this weekend(get paid friday).

dude you use exclamation points WAY to much!!!!! i feel like i was being yelled at by a kid in a candy store reading this post....
    off my soapbox now

with modern technology the 9mm is NOT a substandard round anymore.... i wouldnt hesitate to choose it.... "stopping power" is merely hitting something on the threat that will "stop" it.... whatever size tool you decide to use is on you.... a bigger hammer, is not neccessarily the better tool

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    What exactly is the differance between the 17 and the 19?

Glock 17 Specifications
    Caliber 9x19 mm
    Action Safe Action (constant double action mode)
    Overall length (slide) 7.32 in. (186 mm)
    Height, including magazine 5.43 in. (138 mm)
    Width 1.18 in. (30 mm)
    Barrel length 4.49 in. (114 mm)
    Sight radius 6.49 in. (165 mm)
    Rifling Hexagonal profile with right-hand twist of one turn in 9.84 in. (250 mm)
    Weight, without magazine 22.04 oz. (625 g)
    Weight, empty magazine 2.75 oz. (78 g)
    Weight, full magazine ~9.87 oz. (~280 g)
    Magazine capacity 17 rounds
    Standard trigger pull ~5.5 lbs. (~2.5 kg)
    Trigger pull length 0.5 in. (12.5 mm)
    Number of safeties 3

Glock 19 Specifications
    Caliber 9x19 mm
    Action Safe Action (constant double action mode)
    Overall length (slide) 6.85 in. (174 mm)
    Height, including magazine 5.00 in. (127 mm)
    Width 1.18 in. (30 mm)
    Barrel length 4.02 in. (102 mm)
    Sight radius 5.98 in. (152 mm)
    Rifling Hexagonal profile with right-hand twist of one turn in 9.84 in. (250 mm)
    Weight, without magazine 20.99 oz. (595 g)
    Weight, empty magazine 2.46 oz. (70 g)
    Weight, full magazine ~8.99 oz. (~255 g)
    Magazine capacity 15 rounds Standard trigger pull ~5.5 lbs. (~2.5 kg)
    Trigger pull length 0.5 in. (12.5 mm)
    Number of safeties 3

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    G19 is a little smaller frame and two less rounds in the mag, which you can actually get back with a +2 mag extension. Might be a good idea to visit a gun shop and put them in your hand to see which you like better.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom