• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike G

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Greenwood
    I'm sure I will get dinged on this, but here goes. I liken the longevity of 1911's to Harley Davidson motorcycles, and have to think that 100 years worth of customers can't be wrong!:)

catalyst

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Fishers
    I bought my first Glock a few months ago (a G27) because I wanted a subcompact carry option. All of my other pistols are full-size. I have to say that I like the form factor, but I am not very accurate with it. I put it down to technique and experience as much as anything being wrong with the gun. I think that the ergos are much better on other handguns, but there are compromises to be made with every gun.

I think it would be terrible if I ever found a 'perfect' firearm -- as that would take away my desire to try and buy new things -- which is a lot of the fun for me.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    My Harley and my 1911's have never failed to start or fire when asked. As far as price, they are only worth what one is willing to pay.

You must have hit the lotto, because any other Harley owner will tell you what they are like to own... it's like being married.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Personal opinion is a wonderful thing. My opinion prefers the 1911 style, to the Glock. If Glock still makes basically the same firearm over 100 years from now, and it's use is still as widespread, it could spark a decent debate.......

Just my opinion, of course

Glock Lover

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    muncie
    Alright things got a little off topic, let me put it this way. In combat you want something that is very easy to use, get on sight, break down, repair. You want something reliable, accurate, light, and high cap. A government contract does not mean something is the best. In fact, it would tend to make me leary of it. Lets see:

Glock trigger: I have not found a better trigger reset. I have fired pistols that cost 3 times as much and are set up for competition that don't reset as well.

Ease of use: need I say more..point and click.

Parts: very easy to come by, easy to upgrade, cake to repair (one tool)

Accuracy: if you have ever shot competition with one you already know.

Reliability: check out the glock torture test online. I have owned models 17, 19, 26, 27, 22, 23, 21, 30, 37. With thousands of rounds down range on each of these models I have had only one failure that wasn't due to ammunition. It was with my model 21. That's reliable.

I'm not saying other pistols aren't great but when it comes to reliablility, accuracy, ease of use, price, all rolled into one it will stand up to any pistol on the market.
    :rockwoot::popcorn:

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Glock: pull it out of the box new, load magazine, slip into IWB holster of in your duty gear; then, trust your life with it. Because they work... no tuning, modifying the trigger or hoping that they will run and have no recall...

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    I remember the first time I fired a Glock back in/around 1990.
    From a teenagers perspective I noticed a few things: Mags loaded incredibly easy, The pistol was lightweight. It was user friendly and comfortable to shoot.
    No gimmicks or over engineered features and it worked flawlessly.

Mike G

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Greenwood
    You must have hit the lotto, because any other Harley owner will tell you what they are like to own... it's like being married.

As far as comparing being married to owning a Harley, all I can say is that I have an ex-mrs., but still have my Harley.:):

I hate to get off-topic, but all I am saying is that 1911's have been with us for 100 years, and no one can simply dismiss this platforms longevity because it does not say GLOCK on the side of the rail. And I disagree with an earlier poster that stated that one either loves or hates GLOCK pistols. I like GLOCK's and I simply like my G32 because of what it offers, which is completely different than nearly every other pistol that I own. Anyone with knowledge of how to use a search engine can easily find what the joys and pitfalls are of owning either a 1911 or a GLOCK. Both weapons have had their ups and downs well documented. For me however, there is no perfection except for that which is in one's own mind. I do however appreciate the enthusiam of all die hard GLOCKer's. They will help GLOCK live on for many years to come.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Overall, I have to agree with the OP. But I have to say I'm impressed with Crystalship1's post about sending in his Hi-Point and all they did to it along with a lifetime warranty.

Sounds like a great company and customer service, not necessarily a great GUN!

I thoroughly enjoy how the Glock really has no stories of warranty work like this.

Would you buy a Hyundai just because they have a 10 year warranty? Hell no! Why would I want a 10 year warranty? I'd rather have a car that doesn't or won't need 10 years' worth of service like that. I'll take a Honda with a three year warranty ANY day of the week!

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Using the US military as the litmus test for which handgun would be the best for an application is just FLAWED! I can think of several reasons- one being that Glocks are not made HERE in the US where we MAY need them to be made in the event of a serious Global catastrophe. Second reason being image, third being cost. Then there's politics, contracts, etc.

BUT when the US mil had to pick one to equip our Iraqi friends with, what did they pick?

Other nations? Hmm maybe because they have their own politics and reasons (which are always bad) for not picking the Glock.

:dunno:

I personally can deny the combat effectiveness of the Glock as I have never used it in combat (real combat, where people die). I have (and the US Military) used the Beretta M9 on many fronts, and it has NEVER failed me. You do have to ask a serious question though.....if the Glock is so combat effective, why don't more nation's use it as their PRIMARY duty weapon?

SigSense

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Using the US military as the litmus test for which handgun would be the best for an application is just FLAWED! I can think of several reasons- one being that Glocks are not made HERE in the US where we MAY need them to be made in the event of a serious Global catastrophe. Second reason being image, third being cost. Then there's politics, contracts, etc.

BUT when the US mil had to pick one to equip our Iraqi friends with, what did they pick?

Other nations? Hmm maybe because they have their own politics and reasons (which are always bad) for not picking the Glock.

:dunno:

Your response is a non-sequitur, please review the definition:

non sequitur - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

GJ1981

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    I have to ask this, if Glocks really are the best and Glock owners know this, then what is the point of telling everyone? It sounds to me like some Glock owners need reassurance for the claims :dunno:

Top Bottom